Transition duration

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
jpjgolden

Transition duration

Postby jpjgolden » Sun May 10, 2009 5:02 am

With Pro Show Gold, the default transition duration is three seconds. If I wanted the last slide in the show to fade out over six seconds, how would I achieve that?

JPJ

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Transition duration

Postby TinaJ » Sun May 10, 2009 5:05 am

Double click on the transition time and set it to whatever number you want to try. It can always be adjusted again. I tend to also add a blank slide at the end before fading out completely, but that's just my taste.
TinaJ
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

jpjgolden

Postby jpjgolden » Sun May 10, 2009 5:21 am

Where do I find transition time adjustment?

JPJ

Postby marmart » Sun May 10, 2009 5:33 am

Bbetween the slides where the transition is - there is a number below it, just highlight it and change it to 6.

Mary

jpjgolden

Postby jpjgolden » Sun May 10, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks, Mary — but that begs another question. If my default setting is three seconds (Edit/Preferences/Default), why would the figure between frames be two seconds on each frame?

JPJ

Postby marmart » Sun May 10, 2009 7:16 am

Hi JP, unless you changed them all inadvertently, I don't know. If somehow you wanted to change one slides transition time, but had all slides highlighted, then it would change them all.

Also, if you have changed the default settings after you began a show, they won't apply to slides already entered, only to new ones.

Mary

jpjgolden

Postby jpjgolden » Sun May 10, 2009 7:22 am

I haven't changed the default setting lately, so it must have been an inadvertent change on my part. I'll keep a closer eye that from now on. Thanks Mary, and Tina, too.

JPJ

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun May 10, 2009 3:07 pm

One way to have something like that happen is to (deliberately or accidentally) change the time, not notice and keep adding slides. ProShow does some not-very-obvious things with times and transition types as you build the show.

If you start a new show, the defaults will apply to the first slide as you'd expect. As you add slides it looks like that's still being used but it's not really. I did a quick test to confirm what I remember and it appears that if you add slides to the end of the show it will use whatever the prior slide was, which if you changed it, won't be the show default. BUT, if you drop a slide between two existing slides the transition type, time and slide time will be copied from the next slide not the one before it as you might expect nor the default time as you might expect. The default really only applies when you start with a blank show and only then until you make the first change.

I've always found that behavior both counter-intuitive and a tad annoying but I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me much.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Sun May 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Except on Tuesdays with a full moon :lol:

It also (at least in the 3.x series) remembers the last fade in/ fade out transition type you used on your text (as well as last color etc). Been surprised by that a few times when I went back to insert something.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

jpjgolden

Postby jpjgolden » Sun May 10, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm sure that's what I must have done — changed one slide without realizing the effect on all slides following. I'll pay more attention from now on.

I'm sure glad I found this forum. On several prior occasions, I've received most excellent support from Photodex, but this forum can help answer questions Customer Service shouldn't have to bother with. Thanks mikey and Dick.

JPJ

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun May 10, 2009 6:11 pm

jpjgolden wrote:... but this forum can help answer questions Customer Service shouldn't have to bother with.

Bother with... maybe but it frequently turns out that we know much more about this kind of "how it really works" thing than they do. Not really criticism of them -- it's natural that the users will know "stuff" that the vendor doesn't. I've been on the other side of this coin and they aren't using the software nearly as much as we, collectively, do and they know how they intended it to work which can get in the way of knowing how it really does work.

Anyway, good question... that "simple" question really isn't and I suspect a lot of folks will read that and have a little "ah-ha" moment.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Style & Technique