Introductions

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold

Introductions

Postby kerrymitch » Fri May 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi

I would like some tips on creating a good introduction. Until now I've been happy with going straight into the show, but after seeing some wonder presentations here, think I should sort something out as well for my next show makeup which is my daughter's wedding.

Ideas, thoughts and tips all welcome.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Introductions

Postby DickK » Fri May 01, 2009 8:23 pm

A good show tells a story--what's the story for this show? Not just for the beginning but for the whole thing I would sit down and outline it in words or (better) make simple, crude story-board sketches. It gets the creativity pumped up and makes for a better story.

So, what are some ways you would begin if you were telling it verbally? Jot down everything that comes to mind, then look at them--which of them could you translate into pictures? try it by story-boarding it. If it seems promising, do you have the pictures that would be needed? if not, can you get them or substitute for them?

Have fun!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Jerry Cole » Fri May 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Kerry,
Just get a little creative and think of what type of mood you want for the show. Dramatic? Comedic? Maybe suspenseful? Adventure? Or it might be something that suggests a calm or restful experience. I don't think you can separate the process of creating an introduction from the process of creating the story.
salam,
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat May 02, 2009 12:37 am

Ah! You might not be getting the answers you want.

Do you mean a show introduction set of slides, an intro that is on every slide show you produce, or, an intro sequence of slides that sets the theme for a particular show?
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby kerrymitch » Sat May 02, 2009 12:41 am

Well, just fishing for ideas really on how to do it. I know there will be many options of course...

I guess I can just put some word through the system on some slides to start with.

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Thu May 07, 2009 6:43 am

Show intros, like commercials or headlines, grab your attention or make one turn away. I personally don't like the 20 second intro advertising someone's business. I get it. It's your company. If the show content is so exciting I'll remember who you are and want to see more.
I would view many shows here and on the Photodex site to see what appeals to you and what doesn't then incorporate those techniques into your own creations. Variety is the spice of life. One size does not fit all. Each show deserves its own unique introduction.

Jim

Postby debngar » Thu May 07, 2009 7:47 am

This is just my personal preference but I'd rather the focus more on the show in the beginning than having to watch a 20-30 second "commercial" with the producer's name, phone number, website, yada yada yada every time I hit "play".

I either use a brief 3-6 second caption in the beginning or use nothing and most always show the contact info at the end. I know that some people like to have their own intro branding segment and short bumper music/theme but to me it's kind of a jolt to the viewer. I've never liked it when they do that at the movie theaters either.

I'm annoyed with the increasing amount of commercials we're forced to watch now that the industry has figured out a way to put them on the screen at the beginning of some online shows on sites like Vimeo and such and avoid pop-up blockers on websites too. They're often as loud and obnoxious as the ones on TV that make me want to dash to grab the remote and have turn down the volume to a more reasonable level! :x

Of course do what you want and feel comfortable with to include in your shows. Just because the industry is heavy on commercializing everything, there's no need to jump into the same boat. It's a marketing tool, yes and contact info is important. Including it or not may depend on what kind of show it is, who the audience is and what other avenues you have to spread your name/services out there to others via things like your own blog, website, social networking sites or whatever.

Two branding intros used by ProShow users come to mind that I really like. They're similar in design in that they are very short, not loud and probably only are about 20 seconds long including transition time into the 1st slide in the show.

Here are examples of those two Producer user's shows. Not necessary to watch them entirely just view the first 20 seconds or so.

"Appalachian Autumn" - by Suzanne Williams
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=139333

"Sweet Abigail" by Patches (Marsha)
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 4403&alb=0

Either way, let us see what you come up with if you design one for your business! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby HunnyB » Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 pm

This is just me - but for a wedding I would start out with the couples name and maybe the date of the ceremony, not an introduction about you and your company or whatever........maybe put that at the end.

I am like Debbie - I don't like long intros. I don't like them in movies, and I don't like them in slideshows. :D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby Ron » Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi
I think Jim Adams hit the nail on the head !

I would view many shows here and on the Photodex site to see what appeals to you and what doesn't then incorporate those techniques into your own creations. Variety is the spice of life. One size does not fit all. Each show deserves its own unique introduction

Experiment & Enjoy
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Return to PSG - Style & Technique