Pix "approach" but not zoom

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold
Esteemed Member

Pix "approach" but not zoom

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:50 am

Hi.
I've seen some shows where there is an empty picture frame on a background, and the picture starts as a point, and then approaches from that point to fill in the picture frame.
Is there a way to do this with Gold?
I've tried and it zooms you into the picture and you lose the background.
I have "scrapbook" software that I can use to make the .jpg background with the frame.
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Re: Pix "approach" but not zoom

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:07 am

I'm not sure if you can do that with gold -- I think you can. The trick is layers. You create the frame as a png with transparancy inside the frame (jpgs don's support the transparancy). The picture is on the bottom layer and the frame is on the layer above it. You can then zoom the picture in and it will be clipped by the frame when it gets bigger than the frame.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks for the response.
Is there a way to fix the perspective?
By that, I mean, usually, the view moves into the picture as the picture enlarges with a zoom.
Is there a way to "fix" where the viewpoint is and move the picture towards the viewer?
I guess that's just another way to ask the same question...

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:15 am

Not as easily - true perspective into an image requires that the image be 3d. You can achieve that effect to a degree (how convincing it is depends on your skill and the image) by "cutting" out the foreground of the picture, putting that on a layer above the background of the picture then zooming the foreground layer in more than the background which will give "apparent depth". A whole bunch of factors determine how well that works though.

Something else you might want to consider is the "magnifying glass" effect. Do a search here for a number of posts on that -- Dave Fitzpatrick has a number of examples where you can move a "magnifying glass" over an image.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:48 am

Mikey, doesn't the magnifying-glass effect require the ability to use masks? I'm sitting here straining my brain for a way to do it without masks and I'm coming up empty. :(

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:17 am

Ah, yes, the magnifying glass uses masks if I remember correctly (Gold doesn't support masks??).

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:16 am

gpsmikey wrote:(Gold doesn't support masks??)

Unless it's new to Gold in version 4, no, it doesn't support them. It's one of a number of reasons why I initially upgraded from Gold to Producer. Ah, but sometimes, I wish for the simpler days of Gold, particularly now that this business of modifiers has been added to Producer.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 am

Well, I'm still running Producer 3.2.2042 (letting you folks be beta testers this time - I served my time last time :evil: ) so I have not had to play with the modifiers yet (although it does sound like fun). I started with Gold doing a memorial for my mom a few years ago - worked out fine, but VERY frustrating as soon as it got to be decent sized - crashed every 10 minutes or so and there was no support group then). I could not remember if Gold had masks though.

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:57 am

Mikey, you're showing great wisdom. Not only won't you have to deal with the creepiest, crawliest bugs, not only won't you be traipsing about in the dark with the new modifiers, but best of all, your year will include more upgrades than it will for us early birds.

Barbara

Return to PSG - Style & Technique