Photoshop layers.

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
fourte3n

Photoshop layers.

Postby fourte3n » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:41 pm

Is there or will there be a way to import a photoshop PSD image and actually use the seperate layers as seperate images?

I have just made a slideshow where I have made it look like the menu (background, photo and writing) slowly fade away one by one. I have to create
seperate images for each of these items as the layers weren't moveable as seperate images.

Having the layers moveable would have saved hours of lineing everything back up to the original image before fading.

Tom

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Tom,

You can't use the layers within a PSD file directly in Producer but there is a method that works well if you have access to Photoshop...(I'm actually in the process of creating a video tutorial demonstrating the method)... The method is using "layer comps".... depending on what version of Photoshop you are using you will have to turn the palette on (Elements does not have access to layer comps).... The simple explanation if you are unfamiliar with layer comps is you turn on (with the eye-ball) each layer you want to represent your picture... then in the layer comp palette you "add new layer comp" which saves the state of layers that are active. Now just turn other layers on and off and create a new layer comp again....

Once you have your later comps you can run a script which will take the layer comps and create separate files for each variation... This is a quick explanation and hope to have the tutorial up in a day or so....

Take care and hope that helps some....

Postby nannybear » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:45 pm

oooooohhhhhhhhh are you building an action?????? please say yes, what a cool thing that would be! hugs, let me know....nannybear
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:53 pm

Hey Jan,

Won't be an "action" but a brief video tutorial on how to use layer comps to quickly create slide variations. Stay tuned should be up in a day or so... (seems I'm having a bit of a problem keeping it to a reasonable size for the Photodex sharing site...)...

I'll post a topic when ready...

Take care,

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:56 pm

Easy Jan ... you're starting to drool !! :D

It would be cool to have Photodex in some shape or form be
able to deal with layered pictures directly though. Maybe the
new version will at least handle alpha channels :D

Or maybe they would handle the beta channels initially then
change to the alpha channels ... you know ... "beta and switch" :D
Oh, sorry, that is their advertising department :?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:05 pm

Oh Mikey.... that was "punny".... :lol:

(I do agree it would be nice to be able to handle native layers...but I somehow doubt that will come any time soon)...

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi Jan

Drool no more! I know of a site that offers a layer saving action. www.atncentral.com/download.htm
Go nearly to the bottom of the page and you'll see in the Editing and Highlight Recovery Loss section one called 'Danny's Save as Layers' action. I haven't tried it out yet but it might be a good one to have :)

fourte3n

Postby fourte3n » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 am

Thanks for the replies... I think I understand what you are describing, Will give it a go.

EDIT: Forgot to mention im using photoshop cs3 which has the save layers seperate i believe.

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:26 am

Yes it was introduced in CS.... so all the CS version have it.... just go to File / Scripts / Layer Comps to Files ...

Take care,

Postby nannybear » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:57 am

Thanks Paulline,
I actually just answered a puzzle question and now that I have CS2 didn't realize there was a save layers as file. I am so going to check that out as well!!

This is a tut by Lin Evan's on the Panosfx puzzle

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/puzzletutorial.pdf
Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Return to PSP - General Discussion