On-Line Sharing and "Privacy" Issues

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

On-Line Sharing and "Privacy" Issues

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:30 am

This subject started when someone wanted a list of members to view shows.

I wanted to start a new thread because something sparked my attention. Some of you may already be aware of this but I'll bet a lot of you are not aware.

This is not a big deal to me at this point. But it might be to some of you who might have concerns about privacy issues.

If you mark your show as "Private", this only hides the thumbnail to your show. If a viewer has the URL, they can ALWAYS get to the show regardless of whether it's placed behind a "PASSWORD REQUIRED PROTECTED ALBUM". :shock:

So if you share a link (URL) to a show (every show has it's own unique number) then that link will always work and be viewable until you delete that show which makes the Photodex screen come up as "Content Removed".

Do not think that your privacy is protected by putting the show and URL behind a private, password protected album. It is not. Anyone with the "number" to your show can see it.

I just wanted you to be aware.

The only way you can make that show somewhat private is to delete it and upload it again which creates a new URL. But once the viewer has the URL, they will still be able to view your show.

I just called Photodex to tell them they might want to think about creating an additional privacy feature to the website which gives the user ability to password lock EACH SHOW. The person I talked to didn't think it was an issue but said he would forward my concerns.

Comments????

Debbie
Last edited by debngar on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: On-Line Sharing and Privacy Issues

Postby cherub » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 am

Do not think that your privacy is protected by putting the show and URL behind a private, password protected album. It is not. Anyone with the "number" to your show can see it.

Debbie, I honestly don't understand where is the problem. If somebody has the number of your show it is because you gave it to him, or because you posted it somewhere, no?
Otherwise if people do a search on the Photodex site with your name (supposing that they do know your name), all they see of a password protected folder is the folder itself, with a lock.
Is there something that I don't catch? Do you mean to say that they get into the protected folder if they have the number of just one show of this folder?
If this is the case, then all you have to do is put each show in a password protected folder.

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:20 am

Typically, a user would share the "number" or URL to the show with friends, family or say for instance on a group like this one.

If the show is moved behind a protected album requiring a password, it only keeps people from viewing the show that never had the URL in the first place. But once they have it, they can view it - password or not.

You can replace numbers with different numbers.....

Behind a password protected album, you can have shows marked "Public" and shows marked "Private". If you marked them all private then to the unknowing, the show thumbnails are not viewable. So you would give a person only one URL to a show in the password protected album and they can always view that show. Marked "Private" they cannot see the thumbnail, but can view the show because they have the unique URL. Any other "Private" shows are hidden from view too.

If you have a mixture of Private and Public shows behind a password protected album, the ones marked as Public (behind the album) will have thumbnails that show up.

So yes, a viewer could get into ALL the shows in a protected folder if they know one of the show's specific URL and if they are all still "Public" even though the album is not.

So as you said, perhaps part of the answer would be to put each show behind it's respective "Album" to privatize it.

As I said before, I really don't have a problem with this yet. But I thought maybe someone else might if they weren't aware.

Hope that makes sense.

Debbie

Photodex replied and considering changes!

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:49 pm

For anyone reading this thread, just thought you might want to know that I received a call back from Photodex regarding this subject. They agreed that although it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find any particular show if you did not have the URL for it and did not have the member's user name, they will consider adding an option allowing the user to to lock individual shows or something to that effect on the website.

Debbie

magnusg

Different accounts

Postby magnusg » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:07 am

In the meantime, until that's done....one could have multiple accounts. One for Proshowenthusiasts viewers. Another for family.
A few for your business. Etc.

Magnus

Photodex has changed ability to see "Private" show

Postby debngar » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:29 pm

FYI TO ALL

I received a call today from Photodex regarding the issue mentioned in this thread that I reported to them.

They said they made it so that the only person that can view a "Private" slideshow now is someone logged on with the specific album owner's ID and password, even if they have the URL.

Hopefully that will help a bit people that have privacy issues. I think that anyone could still view a show if they have the URL if a show is "Public" and resides behind a locked album though.

Debbie

Return to PSP - General Discussion