Vista vs. XP

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Esteemed Member

Vista vs. XP

Postby momsquad » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:53 am

I am on the verge of obtaining a new laptop and my quandary is whether or not I should get one with XP or Vista installed. The laptop is going to be pretty much devoted to PSP and other photo applications. What is everyones opinion on this? I already have PSP installed on my desktop using XP. :D

Postby HunnyB » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:04 am

I bet Vista is all you can get -- recond?
Wonder if all the bugs are out by now?

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Esteemed Member

Postby momsquad » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:14 am

Oddly enough, I can get a decent lap with XP, more expensive than a lap with the same bells and whistles and Vista. Do I want to pay more for the "older" XP system? or are Vista users having no problem with PSP and photoshop?

lisco

Postby lisco » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:46 am

From all that I've read and seen, Microsoft didn't need to make a change. ie Vista. They are taking a bath on it because their biggest customer base are business and they don't see a need for a change. Everything is running smoothly with XP. (well, as smoothly as XP can run) I can only tell you what I know and I don't know much about Vista. I have been running XP and I'm extremely happy with it. Of course I'm a creature of habit. Not to mention extremely lazy when it comes to learning something new. What are you comfortable with?

I'm probably wrong...I usually am.

Scott

Postby Yanis » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:08 pm

momsquad wrote:Oddly enough, I can get a decent lap with XP, more expensive than a lap with the same bells and whistles and Vista. Do I want to pay more for the "older" XP system? or are Vista users having no problem with PSP and photoshop?

Hello momsquad,

Personally, the only laptop I'd purchase to use with image editing and PSP (compatibility?) is a MacBook but that's just me.

I'm currently using desktop PC running Vista Home Premium. I have PSP (1974) and Photoshop CS2 both installed. Both runs great. I'm happy to say that I have not had any issues.

If you decide to go with the laptop w/Vista, make sure it is equipped with a good video card, lots of RAM (at least 2 GB), and large capacity hard drive.

Good Luck!!!

Peace,
Yanis :D

Postby bigsewed » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:31 pm

I am running Producer with Vista Home Premium and Build 1974 with no issues...
The only advice I got from the ProShow folks was to "run as administrator"...
I did just that with great success to this point...
Wes

Postby BJOertli » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:09 pm

I too am running Producer on a laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am still using Photoshop Elements 4.0. I was told that some programs would not work with Vista and would need to be I upgraded (ie. would need to update to Office 2007 from Office 2003). I took a chance and installed Office 2003 and have had absolutely no problems....I had a few issues setting up my laser printer over the network, but all of my programs are working just fine.

But yes, do upgrade the memory, etc. as mentioned above.

Bonnie

Esteemed Member

Postby momsquad » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:22 am

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am new to this site and very impressed with all the support shown to fellow "enthusiasts." A couple follow up questions.....

- Bonnie, just curious if you don't mind me asking, what make of laptop do you have? I've heard it mentioned some may run Vista better than others. ?? Also, until I upgrade, I still run Office 2003 also. How do you open .pst files? I've tried to download the family portrait template and can't open the .pst file! Grrrrr! Okay, I can make pictures dance, but I'm showing my ingnorance with computers because I can't figure out how to open this .pst file. Help!

- Yep! Planned on maxing out the memory, RAM, etc (well, as much as my budget will allow :lol: ). Really have no problems with my current setup. However I also run a travel agency from the same desktop. Although I have never had any problems, because of how extensively I pursue both interests, I worry I'm asking for trouble if I don't separate the two pretty soon. Additionally the portability will be a plus.

- Yanis, I agree, several graphics people have told me for what I like to do Mac is really the best. Unfortunately I worry about the "old dog - new tricks" at this point for me. The ol' "creature of habit" eh Scott?

Overall, once I started pricing a new lap with the features I wanted, it just seemed odd that it was going to cost me more to get the "older" XP op.system, which no one has any complaints about, vs the newer Vista op.sys, which there is plenty of negative chatter about. Guess I was trying to grasp how much of that negative chatter was people simply adjusting to something new vs. it not really working properly with what I wanted it to work with.

From what it sounds like, starting with Vista on a new computer doesn't seem to have the issues that upgrading a current setup would generate. And since no one seems to have problems with Vista, I guess I could put the savings into upgrading my external hard drive! :D

Again, thanks to everyone for your replies. And a special thanks to the powers that be that operate this great site! I already feel I have new friends that can share my passion for "picture dancing" into the wee hours of the night! :wink:

Oh! and uh.........Go HOGS!

Always,
Kim

lisco

Postby lisco » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:09 pm

A FELLOW HOG!

Not too many of us here, but I call your "Go Hogs" and raise you a Woooo Piiiiigggg! I didn't even notice where you were from. Welcome to the forum.

Scott

Postby BJOertli » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi Kim - I recently purchased a Compaq laptop. It was a package deal at Circuit City. It was pre-installed with Vista and pretty basic. I do most of my work on my desktop and already have a laptop, but just wanted something as a back up and the price was hard to resist. If you are looking for something to replace a current system and will rely on it for most of your computing, you might want to consider something higher end. But, I was reluctant to purchase a system with Vista and was not in the market for a new laptop so could not really justify a significant purchase just to test. So...much to my amazement, I have not had any issues with Vista or any of the programs I installed (older versions that I did not think would be compatible). I had a few "glitches", but nothing major. I hope this helps.

Have a good day/ or evening at this point. :)
Bonnie
"In every work of genius we see our own rejected thoughts" ~Emerson

Esteemed Member

Postby momsquad » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:43 am

Hi Bonnie,
Thanks for the information. I did end up custom building a laptop. Went with Vista. Hope I don't regret it, but it doesn't sound like I will. Now I sit here singing "Anticipation" to myself until it is delivered! :lol: I did figure out the .pst files. Duh! If I had simply read some more.....

Scott - Looking foward to a great Razorback season. (one son is at UofA right now) Will be calling those Hogs all season long.......well until that game after Thanksgiving.......then it's GEAUX TIGERS all the way!! (my alma mater) Can we still be friends?? :lol:

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:40 am

Scott wrote:Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic

This is a bad analogy on so many levels that I felt compelled to make a curmudgeonly rebuttal post. ;-)

1) The Titanic didn't sink as a result of engineering or construction issues. The builders were not at fault. It was human error at many levels (complacency being a key one). Blaming the builders is inconsiderate at best.

2) This is also a comparison between a myth and a real event. What sense is there in that?

3) Does this mean that we need to be divinely inspired, or worse still, divinely commanded, before we try something new?

This Pastafarian is not amused! ;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Postby HunnyB » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:06 am

I feel sorry for the guys still on Windows 98. :cry:
I am going to add a new system soon. Am looking into adding a new tower
to my existing monitor, keyboard, printer, scanner.......
I am sure it will have Vista on it.
Either buy that, or just upgrade what I have, i.e. memory, etc.
But eventually everyone will have Vista, and some of us may be like the
Windows 98 folks now.
It all about money. In a year or two when you go to purchased that great new program,
it might say for "Vista" only. ???
I just hope that my old programs I have not upgraded in a while , like QuarkXPRESS will
load okay.
So, if I were buying a whole new desktop or laptop, I would certainly want Vista.

HunnyB :D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:42 am

HunnyB wrote:But eventually everyone will have Vista,...<snip>...
So, if I were buying a whole new desktop or laptop, I would certainly want Vista.

I've been in the computer/software business for many decades, and I don't see it as being that cut and dried.

Vista is not the success that Microsoft is trying to make it appear. Many corporations are staying away in droves due to cost, incompatibilities and other issues. They are sticking to XP instead. Recently, some very prominent tech journalists who investigate such things are saying publicly that they are reverting to other alternatives (XP for the most part, some to MacOS and Linux) since Vista is not ready for the real world and may never be. There are also some serious resource issues where network performance dwindles to nothing when you play audio. I've said it before and I'll say it again, right now, Vista sucks big time.

Stick to XP if you can.

Me? I'm hoping that by the time it's an issue I'll be able to totally convert to Ubuntu Linux. Some of my machines already run only Ubuntu. Dell is now selling laptops with Ubuntu preloaded. So I would like to see a Linux-capable version of PSP not too far down the road and Linux versions of the Adobe tools. With that, I could kiss MS Windows goodbye!
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

lisco

Postby lisco » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:42 pm

Tarafrost wrote:
Scott wrote:Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic

This is a bad analogy on so many levels that I felt compelled to make a curmudgeonly rebuttal post. ;-)

1) The Titanic didn't sink as a result of engineering or construction issues. The builders were not at fault. It was human error at many levels (complacency being a key one). Blaming the builders is inconsiderate at best.

2) This is also a comparison between a myth and a real event. What sense is there in that?

3) Does this mean that we need to be divinely inspired, or worse still, divinely commanded, before we try something new?

This Pastafarian is not amused! ;-)

I am sorry if my "Signature" has offended you or anyone else here. It was not my intent for it to do any harm.

With that said...

1) Not blaming anyone for that. But, just in case I sent all the families of the builders and engineers a Hallmark.

2) I respect your opinion on religion and whether or not you decide to practice. By the way, I too, practice the religion of Pastafarianism. Among others. Also, I never said that the sinking of the Titanic was a real event. :wink:

3) No

I must admit that I read this somewhere and did a little copy/paste number in my signature box. It is not my own idea.

I shall now take it under consideration for removal...Nah! Hey is it alright if I use my running hog as an avatar? It's not my idea either, but I really, really like it. Pleeeeeeease! Pretty Pleeeeease!

Scott

P.S. I'm really not sure how I should have taken your post, but I laughed about it and decided to pick back a little. I'm not looking to piss anyone off here.

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion