I Need Your Guidance Please

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Esteemed Member

I Need Your Guidance Please

Postby ve6tp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi Folks:

I'm back and even more confused than before. And you didn't think that was possible, right?? I need a hug Jan ....

This time, I'm not asking for PSP help. I need some direction on external programs that prepare pictures, etc., for PSP.

I have Photoshop Elements 4. And I have Photoshop CS2. (know there are more current versions). But can someone tell me, how do you know which program you use to do certain things?

If I want to produce a file with transparency, or make a mask, or colourize, or whatever ...... How in the world do you know which program to use to accomplish what I'm after. Does one of these programs do it all or are both needed, depending on what you want to achieve and how do you know which one to use?

I would appreciate any replies,

Tru

Postby nannybear » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:00 pm

{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}
This is an easy one to start the answers. Photoshop CS2 is what I am now using, and I use it for everything basically. It is the parent of Photoshop Elements. Elements is a quick fun program but for me nothing compared to CS2. Have you made transparencies, or cut outs in CS2 yet? Let me know what you need to do? Plus check out this post, I have learned a bunch from here.
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com./view ... 338d7b9934

You can register for just a month then cancel so it can be reasonable. Hope this helped, sunshine.

Hugs Jan

ps: I can record a tutorial and send it to you to make it easier as well......
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:41 pm

What a gal .....

Thanks for that hug, I really needed that today. No sooner had I sent the post, than my wife gave a yell and be darned if our hot water tank didn't decide to start pouring water all over the floor. No plumber until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. So, no hot water till then. At least the cold water is still available. I know, groan .... groan .... groan.

Jan, you have given me so much help, even sent me tutorials (which I still refer to with my terrible memory) and also answering my posts asking for help. I'm reluctant to put you to so much trouble, ya gotta be tired of me asking all the time.

Thanks for the info and I'll stay with CS2 for all my stuff now. To answer your question, no, I have not been able to figure out how to make transparencies (priority #1 on my list) nor have I done cut outs, another thing I want to learn. I've tried and tried to figure it out, but not enough grey matter between the ears I guess. Hey, I did manage to create a couple of masks though and you taught me how to do the colourizing. I've sure used that with great results from my viewers.

I guess if I just can't figure it all out, and you have the patience, I will bug you and see if I can learn the proper way to do some of these things. I can't tell you have appreciative I would be. But it would sure test your patience ...

Thanks Jan, and a big hug back to ya.

Tru

Postby nannybear » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:14 pm

No problem at all, you know I love to help out!! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Hmmm - must be the Wednesday bit is set -- I thought I was the
only one having a day like that. Took 2 hours of hard work to finally
get one stuborn bolt out of the front of the engine in my wife's car
(that I have to tear apart for my "vacation"). I did get a laugh out
of the neighbors years ago when our water tank sprung a leak
10 pm , sunday night and I am leaving on a business trip Monday
morning ... hey, no problem, ripped the outer cover off the tank,
rolled it out in the driveway and welded a patch on it at 11 o'clock
at night (lit up the neighborhood like the 4th of July (well, maybe
NewYears for you Canadians eh ?? )

As far as editors go, most of them overlap considerably, yes,
Photoshop is the big Kahuna or something like that (I also have
CS2), but most of them out there will do most of what the others
do and in general, you will find there are 10 different ways to
accomplish the same end. If you don't have a copy, you might
get a copy of "Photoshop CS2, Classroom in a book" - pretty
good book, not too basic and walks you through lots of exercises
with a CD full of stuff to learn some of the many features. You
can do almost anything with Photoshop --- the trick is figuring out
how to even get started (that is after figuring out what to call what
you want to do so you can search for how to do it ... :D )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:53 pm

OK Jan. I'll struggle a bit with it and if I threaten suicide, I'll settle down and ask for your help. I know I can count on you. Thanks so much.

And Mikey, I've had a few of those types of vacations ..... makes you want to get back to your regular job. You hit the nail on the head when you said "the trick is figuring out how to even get started (that is after figuring out what to call what you want to do so you can search for how to do it )..." Man, that sure applies to a lot of various programs I have searched to get help with. Then when you do get an answer, you end up searching some more to define the first reply. A catch 22 huh??

Oh well, keeps the grey matter active, what little there is of it ......

Thanks again to both of you.

Tru

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi Tru

I gather from your posts that you'd like to create transparencies. I think I can help :D . This is the simplest way I know to do it in Photoshop CS...

1. Open image
2. Select an area, with lasso or square/oval tool
3. Double click 'background' over in the layers palette on the right
4. Click OK on the 'new layer' box that has appeared
5. Click 'delete'. The area inside the selection will now be transparent

Experiment with feathering, eg. select the area, click 'select' on tool bar at top, click 'feather' and try different numbers to vary the softening of edges.
When selecting the area, you could even 'inverse', then you'll make the outer area transparent instead if preferred.
Don't flatten the image, and ensure you save the new file as Photoshop PSD otherwise the transparency will be lost.

That's it, there are probably different/better ways but I get by like this! Hope I've been able to help

Hey Hey

Postby HunnyB » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:14 pm

I also use PhotoshopCS2. I have been using it for many many many years. And still have
not "mastered" it completely. It is a powerful program. And expensive for home use.
In the "print" world, we had to use PS.
I wish I could find a "cool" program that would also do transparencies,
and some extra fun stuff that PS does not do.
ANY SUGGESTIONS? Elements maybe????
I have ArchSoft PhotoStudio 5.5, and another program that came with my camera.
Should I be wasting time searching for a another program, or just stick to what I have?

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:32 pm

I would stay with CS2 (I also have it and have only scratched the
surface), however, no matter where you go looking at anything to
do with "funny" changes to photo's, it almost always starts out with
"well, in Photoshop you do this" and you have to figure out how to
adapt whatever else you have to that. Actions are something I really
want to spend some time learning -- unfortunately, my wifes car
seems to be getting in the way :? Just call me "Mr. Greasy Nails"

mikey (who is taking out his frustrations on the keyboard - although
I do feel better after ordering $150 worth of stuff from Digital Juice
and having it covered with the gift certificates I had received !! ) :D :D
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:39 pm

Hey Pauline:

This is great. Thanks for going to all that trouble, step by step, for me. I may not be able to try it out till about Friday as it looks like I may have to travel out of town for a couple days, but if so, this will be the first thing I try when I get back.

I imagine that if you wanted to make something within an area transparent and the area is small, then all I would have to do is simply zoom the picture I'm working on and continue with the tool, then unzoom back to normal size and presto .....

But I'll let you know how it goes Pauline. Thanks again.

Tru

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Check out the "Adobe Photoshop CS2 Classroom in a Book" - it
covers all sorts of stuff like that with actual lessons that lead you
step by step how to select stuff etc. ISBN 0-321-32184-7
for a while (just recently) Costco had them for $29 -- one of
those books you can actually read and it makes sense (as opposed
to reading the dictionary (and I am an engineer)).

mikey

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:51 am

Tru

For producing transparent areas that do not conform to the selection tool method have a look at Jan's (Nannybear) tutorial on 'Colourisation' at this link http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=4140 . What she is producing is a transparent area on the top Black & White area thro' to the colour layer below.

The advantage wih this method, bit more compliacted than the others, is that you can 'repair' the area.

Stick with CS2, better to learn one program than two, it will do everything that its baby Elements will do.

Mikey's suggestion book will also lead you though in easy steps.

I run all my photos through CS2 (now CS3 :D ) to ensure good contrast, detail in shadows, etc before use. Judging by the previous replies there are plenty of people around to help and give advise.

Brian

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:10 am

Hi Everyone:

Thanks to all of you for your comments and recommendations. They are all good suggestions and I will follow up on them.

Pauline:

I've started to use your process today and I think I'm gaining some ground. I'll play around a little more and hopefully, it will sink in. Thanks again.

Tru

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi Tru

Glad I've been able to help you. Others have done so much for me and it feels good to be able to give something back :D

Christina

Postby Christina » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:14 am

Good morning all. With regards to PS CS2. I belong to an organization called National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP). Besides this website, it is the best things in the world that I have joined. For $99 membership it was and is a great investment. They offer support for problems, a magazine subscription and indepth tutorials for all sorts of creative things to do with your photos. If you need it, they've got it. It's definitely worth every penny I've spent on it and more. I recently attended their learning seminar in Boston and it was incredible. They make it fun, they make it easy. www.photoshopuser.com. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Sincere regards, Christina

Return to PSP - General Discussion