A Text Question

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Esteemed Member

A Text Question

Postby ve6tp » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi:
I was wondering how a person would go about getting different style text on a single frame. For example:

Using the "Captions Options" and type in, say, about 5 lines. And then I decide that it would be nice if I could add more text but in a different colour or effect..

So I creeate a 2nd group of text by clicking on tje greem plus sign in the Text Caption List window, and type another 6 lines or so, and select a different colour than the first group.

Now, looking at the frame, I adjust the first group towards the top of the frame, leave some space, then move the second group of words beneath the first group with lots of space inbetween.

Looking at the Captions Display Window, things look just the way I want it. But .....

Lo and behold, when viewing the show, the two groups merge to show as one. There is no space between groups and the lines over display on each other.

So the big question. Is there a way I can seperate the two groops and have them funcion the way I planned??

Thanks,
Tru

Postby debngar » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Did you do your positioning of the second caption in the "caption motion" window in both kf1 and kf2? If not, it will likely return to the original spot.

Debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Debbie:

Good to hear from you again.

I'm not quite sure what you are gettinig at, but it doesn't take much to confuse me these days.

Debbie, what I am attempting to do is this and by only using one frame with a picture, not two frames:

In the Captions menu and in the text window, I will type several lines of text and make them red in colour.
Then above in the Captions List Window, I click on the green + and type another bunch of lines and colour the text green.

Now the display of the frame shows both text groups and I position each one so that the first group is towards the top of the frame and the second group is positioned (with some space between) under the first group. The vision I have is that when the frame is played, this is where the text sill show, just as it does in the display window in the text menu. Click OK then play.

The two groups show no seperation. The groups of text are overtop of each other.

Now, I know I can put one group of text in the 1st frame, then go to the 2nd frame and enter another group of new words and there is no problem as far as overlay. But for me, there is far too much space beteen the two groups showing to the reader. I only want about the equivalent space of about 5 lines between the two groups, not thelength of time it takes to finish one frame and then start on the second frame?

Confusing huh? I hope I'm explaining it to you OK??

Tru

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:10 pm

I think I understand what you are saying and I do that all the time.
For each "caption" you create, after creating it, click on the "caption motion"
from there, you can set where the text is (or even move it around using
keyframes (eeeeek !! ) if you want. I do that sort of thing all the time -
see if the second slide in this swim team intro is what you are talking about
(it uses 3 "captions" all doing different things in different places on the
same slide) -- this is assuming you can get it from the Photodex servers
tonight -- they seem to have an "attitude" (you'll get it when I feel like it ... )

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 6227&alb=0

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 pm

Hey Mikey:

Nice show and beautiful pictures. And it only took 2½ days to download :)

Yes, I undetstand your instructions and they certainly do the job as you described Mikey. I think I know the problem .... it's me.

I didn't tell the whole story of what I hoped to accomplish and after all this, I'll probably find that I can't do what I would like to do with the text. Here is the bottom line.

I want the text to scroll, but have each line a diffent colour and have maybe the space of 2 lines between each of them.

Setting up as you described works perfectly. To try and accomplish my little task, I did as you explained and lined each group in the caption motion. Located them one under the other in a straight line and a small space betgween each line. Then played it and it did exactly that. Worked like a charm.

Now, in the past, to get the text to "scroll" you had to set the motion as follows:
1. Fade in
2. Full Pan Up
3 None

But when each line of text is set up for this motion, they group together. If I don't try and set it up for "scroll" then no problem.

I also tried the "Galaxie" action. Nodda.

So I guess I must conclude that you cannot set up text in several seperate lines and have them follow under each other in a scrolling fashion.

This is getting rather long and you must be getting a headache from all this Mikey.

Thanks a million though and take care.

Tru

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:20 pm

Ah yes, you did leave out a couple of details on what you
were trying to do. For the full scroll of multi colored lines,
I think it is easy -- go into Photoshop or whatever editor you
use, create a tall, narrow image file and put your lines of
text in there in different fonts/colors/sizes (even other images).
Save with a transparent background (PNG etc) then bring that
image into Producer and move it as desired for your effect :D

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:53 am

I don't use the pan up, full pan up, motions for captions anymore. Galactic is ok but still dependent on how long your slide timing is, it can be a bit hard to read. Now that we have caption motion control with key frames, I just set start and end positions of the caption. So when I want to pan caption from bottom to top, I simply start it at the bottom at kf1 and end it at the top at kf2 or last kf of the slide.

The full scroll of your lines shouldn't be any different than positioning two images and having them move in the same direction at the same time.

It can be a little tricky to use more than one font or color though as you have discovered becaise you have to add two seperate captions. Then you also have to take into consideration the spaces for the lines missing above and below because it has a tendency to center each seperate caption on the screen - hence your two captions on top of each other at their own 0/0 positions on the screen.

I type out the whole ENTIRE caption, duplicate it and back out the letters to the start of each line for each caption part I don't want to see and not remove that last little space to keep a placeholder for each line. I keep blank lines before AND after to compensate so it is positioned the way I want. So of a caption with 6 lines but your two different colors, #1 will have 3 lines of words but 3 blank lines afterwards. Caption #2 will have 3 blank lines BEFORE on top and then the last 3 lines of caption on the bottom. Both Caption # 1 and #2 have 6 lines each but only include 3 lines of words each. Then do your positioning.

So if I understand what you are trying to do correctly, it IS possible to do this in Producer without the using another program like Photoshop.

Debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:21 pm

Mikey & Debbie:

Again, thanks to both of you for your help and time. Both of you have given me all the information I need and I understand completely what you are telling me. At least it wasn't a matter of me not having the "smarts" and missing some kind of setting or option to get a pan, scroll effect going with colored fonts.

I was hoping that I could do what I described tgo you, just using ProShow Producer and not have to do anything with an external program such as Photoshop.

And as far as using Photoshop to creat an image file, too much trouble for this ol' boy. It would have to be for a VERY good reason before I go to that much work!!

My best regards to you both and see ya later,

Tru

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Glad we helped .... sort of anyway :D

The editor method is actually quite easy since most image editors
allow you to put text on the image of whatever size/color/font
you want. If you are playing with slide shows, you should have
some sort of editor anyway (Proshow allows some image editing,
but you can do a lot better with an external one). Whatever you
do, have fun doing it :lol:

mikey

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:06 pm

Ok, I KNOW this is probably not what you want but at the end of this show you will see some obsurd credits that I was playing around with just for fun. I was able to change the colors, size, rotation, and position all within producer. Now keep in mind that I was playing around just to see what I could do with keyframes and text. The word "Music" is mimicking the "titanic" and eventually sinks below view. If you get a chance take a look. 8)

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 4902&alb=0

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Having played a bit with "colorization" and other effects, once
again I am extremely impressed with the amount of effort that
had to have gone into all those pictures. Excellent job Ben !!
(I liked the funny text effects at the end also)

mikey

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:00 am

Thanks Mikey, I had a lot of complaints about the credits immediatly after I posted the show a few months back, but I left them in mostly because I never got around to taking them out. I thought of changing them but just decided to leave them as is for the heck of it.

As for the show itself well, I only made reference to it in this topic so that the ve6tp could see the weird credits if he hasn't already.

As for making this show I am glad that I didn't purposly colorize the photos for the show because there would be no way I could have done that many photos in the short time that I had owned Producer. As specified in the original topic thread of that show, in actuality I had colorized them a few years back and thought it would be kind of nice to put them in a before and after type show, along with maybe some kind of family history to give it some meat. I really should clean it up as I am not happy with the font I used at the beginning and a few other things that bug me. :lol: .

Thanks for watching again,

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:52 am

Ben:

Where do I begin? How about SENSATIONAL, or INCREDIBLE. I have seen several productions that are absolutely outstanding, but Ben, this show was first class all the way. From start to finish. I was so impressed, I went to your main site and started to view all your proguctions. They are all first rate. You are very progessional and without doubt, you are a perfectionist.

Thank you so much for putting your link in your reply.

My questions on text are now secondary ......

I would like to know if there is a tutorial on how to produce the splitting of a picture, as you used. Do you know of any URL or site that would demonstrate how this is done??

2. I have never done colourization Ben, but if I'm not mistaken, using the graphic editor Elements 2, when a picture is being colourized, you have to "manually" select each and every piece of the picture, individually and then apply the colour. Is that correct? If that is the case, the detail you have shown must have taken weeks and weeks to accomplish.

Gotta ask you another question ....

Is there a tutorial by Photoshop that shows how colourization is done to accomplish what you have done so well??

If you have the time, I would really appreciate your reply to these two questions.

Well, I've viewed about ½ your productions. I'm going back to see the rest now. Couldn't think of a better way to start the day.

Thank you Ben. Your replay has really inspired me in many ways to learn more and more. Maybe some day I'll be able to do some of the wonderful shows that others have created. So much to learn and patience is not my strong suit.

Best regards,
Tru

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:55 am

Sorry ....

That should have read as "You are very professional and without doubt, you are a perfectionist".

Not progessional.

Tru

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:22 pm

Gee, thanks ve6tp :oops: glad you liked the shows..sure lifted my spirits after a rather dreadfull morning. ... now I will try and answer your questions.

"I would like to know if there is a tutorial on how to produce the splitting of a picture, as you used. Do you know of any URL or site that would demonstrate how this is done?? " Well if you mean the round one at the beginning of the show I posted, that is nothing more than one of the transitions in producer. A lot of people use this transition to "open curtains"

2. I have never done colourization Ben, but if I'm not mistaken, using the graphic editor Elements 2, when a picture is being colourized, you have to "manually" select each and every piece of the picture, individually and then apply the colour. Is that correct? If that is the case, the detail you have shown must have taken weeks and weeks to accomplish"
Correct! And usually a layer is involved for each color or body part or piece of clothing if you choose to do so. The reason for this is so as not to worry about coloring over the line so to speak. If that is done a simple erease of the mistake up to the point of where the color is supposed to be fixes the problem. Once you are done with all the layers you can flatten them to decrease the file size.

Its almost like a coloring book kids use. Only you are using a computer to do it. Keep in mind that I did the colorization years ago so they were available for the show right away. I didn't have to do any to create the show.

There is a tutorial by Dale G that covers colorization. She does a good job of outlining the things you need to do in order to accomplish the task. The tutorial uses Paint Shop Pro to accomplish the task but the same principles apply. Here is the link to her tutorial.
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=121312

Oh and one more thing, not all my shows are that great. Some of the first ones I did were pixilated due to poor source material. and I broke every rule imaginable like a little too much zooming and paning just like most newbees do. :lol:

By the way, I had never done colorization either and I mean never. I didn't even know what a photo editor was when I got Photoshop Elements 2.0 The colorized photos you see in the show were done through trial and error and more out of curiosity than knowledge. In my mind even if incorrect, I wanted to know what it might have been like to be in the studio or wherever the b&w photo was taken to see the reality of color and of what might have been in what I know was just as colorful a world back then as it is now.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion