Unable to open certain member templates

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Christina

Unable to open certain member templates

Postby Christina » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:32 am

Greetings everyone. I am new to this website. My questions is I have downloaded some templates that members have shared however after the download when I tried to open them I got the message that it was an office data file (pst) and that windows cannot open or it could cause damage to my system if I did so. i.e. page_turn_simple. Has any one experienced this as well and if so, is there another option available to open these templates? Thanks for any assistance. Christina

Postby nannybear » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:00 am

Hi Christina,

You don't open these like you would a .psh file. You need to go under show options, and open a template. I am not at home so can't see the "visual" but I am sure someone will give more detail soon. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby PhotoMagicCreations » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:07 am

Christina,

Once you have downloaded a template, you need to place the template in the right directory. For me, this directory is C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Photodex\Proshow Producer\Templates (I have a windows based computer. Someone will have to advise where to place it on a MAC system.)

After that, open Producer. Click on Show, Show Templates, Open Templates. It is here where you should be able to find your templates. Click on the one you want and it should open for you.

I hope this helps.

Kelly

Christina

opening templates

Postby Christina » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks for your response. The problem seems to be after I unzip the file. It doesn't convert but remains as a pst. i.e. cannot open the Eagle Rays templates. When I unzip all I get is the message posted earlier that it is an office data file. I tried opening from producer and it won't accept it either.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:00 am

You are running into two different issues that help keep people confused.
proshow uses a .pst extension on their template files. Unfortunately, the
.pst extension is ALSO used in the Micro$oft world as the extension for your
Outlook (email) files and windows is getting confused (and confusing you
in the process). Windows "*thinks*" it is an office file because the
extension matches Outlook files - but it isn't an outlook file, it is a template.
To open a template file, you need to use the process from within Producer
to do that. There is no conversion between the .pst file you unzip and
what Producer wants to see -- it is only Micro$oft helping you when it
is sure it is an Outlook file. Quite a few people have run into this issue - it
is in the "file associations" (that is where it determines what to open or
do with a file when you double click it for example).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:01 am

I download the templates and save them in my Program Files under Photodex Proshow Producer and then open Producer and as Kelly told you, click on Show on the top menu, show templates, then open templates, pick the one you want and it should load. It will remain an office file, but if you save it in producer, it will open as a template.

Christina

opening templates

Postby Christina » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:55 am

Thank you all so very much for your directions. I followed them to the letter and everything worked just like you all suggested. Thank you also for the explanation about file extensions. I didn't know that and now it all makes better sense. I have read quite a few of the suggestions you all have posted and have acquired a wealth of information towards imporving my projects. Someday I hope to become as proficient in this program as you all are and be able to contribute my time towards assiting those in need. Once again, thanks for all your time and patience. Have a great day, I know I will now. Christina

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:11 am

Yea, windows is sort of *funny* in how it determines what type of file it is - and it
only looks at the extension to make that determination. Unix, looks at a "magic number"
in the front of a file usually to determine what kind of application to run it with or do
with it (although that has problems too). Once you understand though that windows
is only looking at the extension and it's table of "file associations" to determine what
a file is, it makes more sense (it also makes sense then why when you double
click a .pst file it tries to open it with Outlook even though it really has nothing to
do with outlook).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Christina

thank you all

Postby Christina » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Well I learned so much today I'm going to treat myself to another hour of sitting at my computer and playing with all these new templates. (lol). Can't thank you enough for all your assistance. Your thorough explanations certainly help a novice like me.

Return to PSP - General Discussion