Upgrade from PSG to PSP

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
jpculver

Upgrade from PSG to PSP

Postby jpculver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 pm

I see on the Photodex site that if you've owned PSG for 2 years, PSP is only $99.00. I was thinking of upgrading to PSG 3.0 but maybe this is a better deal for another $50. I use PSG to produce high school yearbooks on DVD and it appears PSP has a few additional features which could be of benefit. My question... Can PSP use an existing PSG 2.6 1776 show? Some have commented that there is a learning curve but the screen shots are very similar to PSG. Is the learning curve of consequence given I've used PSG for quite a while now?

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:12 pm

True (unless you bought their garbage in November about "hurry hurry and save $100
before the price goes UP). If I had waited a month, I could have saved about $300
since I had Gold for 2+ years ... so much for "customer loyalty". Anyway, Producer
is very similar except for keyframes. If you have ever worked with keyframes, you
should be pretty much OK, if not, they have driven some people to drink ... multiple
boxes of wine !! Vidqueen and some others have some good information and
tutorials on using Keyframes. They are extremely powerful and allow you to pretty
much define what you want everything to do in a slide caption motion/speed, image
motion speed, when things show up in the slide or when they vanish etc. A keyframe
is a point in the timeline of the slide where you can define what happens at that
point as far as motion, color, rotation, zoom - all sorts of good things. I would
go for the upgrade if it was me (just wish I had waited - better things to do with that
$300 additional). Take a look at a number of the demo shows in the Producer
example shows that people have created. Lots of cool things you can do with it.

mikey
Last edited by gpsmikey on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:13 pm

You can open a 2.6 1776 show up with Producer but once saved in Producer format, you cannot go back.

You could open it and quickly do a "SAVE AS" and rename it with a different name so you can work on it in Producer if you just want an option to try fiddling for the time you have to work with the free download.

This would preserve the original 2.6 file so you can still use PSG on that if you want and give you a new file to work with in Producer.

I did that with some of mine before I was comfortable making the change.

P.S. I would never go back to Gold now that I'm working with Producer. I love it.

Debbie G.

jpculver

Postby jpculver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:22 pm

Ok Debbie and Mikey, you've convinced me. On the Key frame feature. Say I have a scan book page with multiple pictures on it. For example, 4 pictures arranged in each quadrant. Can I pan from one picture to another, top left to bottom left to bottom right and end up at the top right? I've asked this question before for PSG and the answer is multiple source scans and scanning in just a linear direction. Maybe the easier question is, can I pan non-linear from pic to pic in PSP?

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:29 pm

You can go in any direction you want. There aren't any restrictions.

Take a look at VidQueen's key framing tutorial to see something very similar to what you are suggesting.

This takes quite a while to load but is worth viewing.

Keyframing Basics - Produced by Jennifer Weeks AKA "VidQueen"

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=124704

It will take some time to get the hang of key frames, but you will get it.

(This is not one of my shows)

Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Here is one example from a while back that I happened to have a link to
that shows some of the things with keyframes (35 megs) ...

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 0015&alb=0

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - General Discussion