Do not post shows asking for comments unless you can take th

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Do not post shows asking for comments unless you can take th

Postby alcain » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:53 am

Hi folks,

You all tell me. Should I be polite and tell everybody how much I loved thier show, even though I turned it off after only 2 minutes? OR, should I use my years of experience and education in the photographic and graphic arts fields and offer friendly, "free" advice to help make some shows better? This user became quite upset at my review, was I wrong?

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=4166

Comments (honestly) welcome. I can take it like a man. ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

sail978

Postby sail978 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:35 am

You can give anyone your honest opinion. That's what presenting a show is about.....but that doesn't neccessarily mean that you are right either. It's all opinion, including yours. If you give it, you have to be able to take it too.

kjohnsenwi

My two cents

Postby kjohnsenwi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:03 am

I haven't posted much on here but read a lot and try to learn. You gave me feedback on my Maternity / Newborn show the other day.

Anyway...my two cents is this: I have a lot of respect for you, Al, for taking the time to comment on just about every show (if not all.?)...I watch a lot, turn them off after two minutes and then never write anything about why bc I'm not confident enough in my own skills to comment. But, I'm very disappointed when I post and don't get feedback...of course, it's nice to hear that people like a show but I truly am trying to grow my skills so am looking for true critique.

I mentioned to my hubby the other night that I think what happens on this site is one of two things....if you are new to the software and do a mediocre show, people are generally very positive, supportive and encouraging of your work. If however you are more experienced or adept at ProShow, you get more critical assessment. I don't think this is a bad thing and maybe I'm wrong but it seems to be the case.

As you say, everything is an opinion. If someone doesn't like the feedback, they certainly don't have to take it. I've noticed, for example, that you like a lot of captions and frequently I don't agree with that. Most of our shows aren't intended for total strangers and are tough to be viewed here out of context (such as the thunder in the recent wedding trailer posting) so I think when put in context, the captions become less necessary. So, we ignore those comments if that's the case, right?

I say...keep up the good work, Al. It's nice to know that someone out there is viewing and critiqueing!

Thanks,
Kelly

Valued Member

Postby Sigrid » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:22 am

Hi alcain,
you have the right in expressing your sentiments about any show. In this particular case I felt it was an ace show. I just loved it. Everything for me was perfect.
However in your reply you went - pardon me - below the belt line. What has God and humility to do with a maybe sarcastic? reply by the creator of the show ?
Why would you want captions? Do we need to know the technicalities, i.e. where the setting was, what the girl's name is, what camera and lenses were used?
Plugging the proverbial "pro" is one thing. Another thing is the ability to step outside from one's preconceptions.
Thanks for reading (or ignoring or whatever)

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:23 am

To the review in question, Al gave his honest opinion and honesty is ALWAYS the best policy whether you want to hear it or not.

As individuals, we know what we do and don't like and there is no harm is expressing your opinion. If you get your feelings hurt because someone offered construction criticism, then you shouldn't post shows or learn to take the good and the bad.

Al has a lot of experience and I always appreciate his comments and/or criticism. Al, don't change a thing.

Kathy

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:07 am

In general, Al has usually had what I felt were good comments (and did a
good job of presenting those comments in a positive manner). I don't always
agree with them (I thought the funny wedding trailer thing was pretty good),
but those are just opinions. Many of the shows are targeted for "general
audiences" and as such, comments from people like Al and others are usually
fairly accurate. That said, there are a number of shows (family, pet, humor
etc.) that are targeted at a specific audience and if I am not part of that
audience, then it is not particularly important if the show doesn't "float my boat".
You do need to be able to honestly look at the comments posted by others
when you ask for comments. To sum it up, while I don't necessarily agree
with Al, from my viewpoint, I do respect his comments and feel that they have
been presented as nicely as possible (you should see how people get treated
in some groups !! )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby 57Corvette » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:46 am

The nice thing about a forum like this is there is room for every kind of show ......... we all have our own style or preferences when creating or watching a show. There are those who love movement, spinning items, panning and zooming ........ there are others like myself who prefer to concentrate more on the photos and subject than the special effects.

I agree with Al there are some fundamental items that seem to make a show better ......... if the creator leaves out all the fundamentals, and asks for opinions or criticism, then I think if you want to take the time to write, you should mention the short comings. I always like to hear people say they liked my show .......BUT, I learn more when people tell me their honest opinion on what I did wrong.

I think if you look at past posts from the creators of the subject show, you will see they are usually defensive regarding criticism ............or opinions different from their own. I respect Al's opinion and always welcome his eye (even though he only has one) when I post a new show. If one wants to learn ...... one should be open to all. You don't have to take the advise given here .......... but at least be open to the suggestions of others.

Peace,

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

sail978

Postby sail978 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:49 am

But the funny thing about this is that it is Al who is being sensitive and overreactive in this case.

Al,

Postby debngar » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:58 am

The question begs to be asked; would one rather receive an honest response or hear a lie?

Those who post shows asking for comments or thoughts but then habitually blast others back with condescending sarcasm, hate and anger for less than a gushing reply or a pat on the back do not want a truthful response.

I may get in hot water for saying this but:

After working with this software for over a year, people usually try to help others that have questions. Some members do, some members don't. That's ok.

One can easily check archives to see who is truly a helpful, positive, contributing member to the group and who only posts shows to fish for good comments.

That is not to say that people who don't help others are not nice or whatever. But that information can be revealing.

Some members post in several other areas of our forum to help others beside posting shows in the Producer sample show area.

If you take time to check and see, there are other members that do not. :( :shock:

Debbie
Last edited by debngar on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Lets all just get along

Postby alcain » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:10 am

"But the funny thing about this is that it is Al who is being sensitive and overreactive in this case."

I do not believe I have over reacted. The OP threw some rude comments at me and I responded,. Just because Christians strive for love and peace doesn't mean that we sit back and allow stones to be thrown at us when we have done no wrong. In my original critique, I never mentioned my faith - the Op was the one who brought it up (In a rude way) because she saw a scripture reference in my signature. Over reaction is more like this:

"Criticism welcome means: We have the right criticize the criticism. But your tongue is drooling jealous, poisonous venom instead of what we like to hear. - and please don't come here to us with your imaginary friend and try to convince us to take shit for from every piece of same valued creature! You are infected with the disease, so don't spread it. Visit us in person if you want to hear more about it, our address is public" ...from thr OP

I do not and have never brought up details about my faith in posts and critiques. That is my business. But this OP decided to make it everyones business.

Blessings, ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:12 am

Okay, folks. I think we all agree that if you ask for an opinion on a show you've posted you're subject to good and bad comments. To those that decide to add their opinions, please keep your comments on topic, and don't jab in a personal poke if you think your comments aren't being taken as being constructive.

To the ones that ask for criticism, be adult enough to take the good and bad comments and grow from them.

Be polite and don't get defensive if you don't agree with the responses to your comments. There are a lot of other members here that can view the show and decide if the critique was off base or not, or support the same views. If you find that a response to what you've written in a particular thread is defensive or personal, shrug it off and move on. There's no room for bickering in this forum. A healthy debate over ideas is always welcome, but when it starts to be personal and gets away from the original concept of the thread, it's time to count to ten and move on.

Now is such the case. 1... 2... 3....

Mike

Postby czali » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:11 am

Al,

I think it is great that you take the time to watch all the shows and watch them entirely. I do not have the luxury with two little ones running around. I find your comments to be constructive. When I watch a show that I do not care for sometimes I can not articulate why. I only comment when I can see the problem or if I love it. We need to encourage people to speak their minds or how do we grow?

Colleen

Postby nannybear » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 am

Thanks for that Mike,

Everyone has an opinion, novice or pro and all are valid. Let's all be in an attitude of gratitude, we do have the best forum around! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Stop critiqueing those who don't appreciate the effort

Postby VidQueen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:26 am

On this topic I'd just like to say.....

How come Mike is showing 330 posts? Did you hit 10,000 and come around the bend again ? :lol:

Jennifer

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Okay, my $.02:

Personally, I don't comment on many shows. I watch parts or all of far more than I ever comment on. A few I watch just "cry out" for applause and normally get it. If the person really seems to want and need feedback I'll go out of my way to look at the show and they'll usually get feedback from me, positive or negative. I try to concentrate on specifics: if I reacted to a show, why? what impressed me? what elements stood out positive or negative? were there any technical issues with the show or images that detract or otherwise seemed wrong?

If criticism is in order and there's any doubt in my mind then I'll probably say nothing. Yeah, I know, maybe just chicken, but I've seen instances of people asking for comments but based on the subsequent defensive reaction were really looking for positive strokes. There are also a fair number of cases where someone has posted a show, gotten comments and then disappeared... hmmm... did we scare them away or...? Finally, there's also an element of "different strokes" here--the show that has me quit 60sec into it might be a huge success to someone else.

Giving really good comment/feedback/criticism is work, but it's really worth the effort if the person receiving it appreciates it.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion