Director and Creator going Subscription based

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Re: Director and Creator going Subscription based

Postby Robert Hatmaker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:56 am

Photodex went out of business because their business model was not profitable. The talent was there but their business model didn't work. Too much illegal copying, slow program development in an age of rapid innovation, and too few users updating new releases. Of course every users needs are different. But, if we want a good up-to-date product, it must come from a company that is making a reasonable profit. If subscription is necessary to prevent illegal copying and attract new and continuing customers, I will "hold my nose" and subscribe. In the end it is a financial decision for business and consumer. I plan to backup a copy of Producer with all relevant files; use trial period of Creator; and, if satisfied, subscribe for a year with the 15% discount for ProShow users. Then if satisfied with the product and rollout of enhancements, I will stay with Photopia and wish them great success. If not satisfied I'll go back to Producer 9 or change to another product. I'm not rich (retired teacher) but $9.95 is a reasonable price for a good up-to-date product in this economy. Anything to keep my creative juices flowing in my "senior" years.

Postby harpo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 am

I received an email from Jennifer to say Director Creator were available for download, I then emailed back to ask a few questions, within 15 minutes I received a reply.
In the end Photodex never replied.
I will go without buying my daily hot chocolate for a few weeks, that will pay for my subscription and I have also saved by not upgrading yearly to Proshow Producer for at least 2 years.
I've been dealing with Jennifers website for a number years and I have full confidence.
Subscription is the way to go if we end up with great software.

Postby ellersiek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:27 pm

250 $ / year for subscription of this kind of program (compare it to the Lightroom+Photoshop offer from Adobe)?
Sorry, but this is much to much.
I hope my Proshow 9 will run under my windows installations for a long time so I can spare a lot of money.

Greetings
Ralf

Postby ellersiek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:29 pm

After nearly six years I'm still a new member?

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:42 pm

ellersiek wrote:After nearly six years I'm still a new member?

I've changed the ranking to show "Member" instead of "New Member". Once you hit 15 posts you become "Active Member". It's all based on interactions rather than time. :D

Mike

Postby bob walden » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Other then 64 bit is there anything that 9 doesn't have? Personally, I feel $25 a year is way over priced. And I don't consider 15% much of a discount.

Postby obeeone » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:57 pm

G'day
When the information first came out about a new program I thought fantastic. Unfortunately I won't be getting involved with this one, it seems to be aimed more at people who use it for their business. It has for us older retired folk in other countries priced itself out of the market at over $360 AUD for me. It would be expensive but could be managed as a one off payment, but every year for something I use for holiday and family shows a few times a year is just out of my price range.
Pity
Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby heckydog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:35 pm

obeeone wrote:G'day
When the information first came out about a new program I thought fantastic. Unfortunately I won't be getting involved with this one, it seems to be aimed more at people who use it for their business. It has for us older retired folk in other countries priced itself out of the market at over $360 AUD for me. It would be expensive but could be managed as a one off payment, but every year for something I use for holiday and family shows a few times a year is just out of my price range.
Pity
Carl

+1

Besides, it's too easy to use a video editor to make slide shows that are perfectly acceptable to the audience I would make them for. The latest full version of Pinnacle Studio, for example, is around $85 and it's mine to keep if I wanted it. The last good slide show I made was almost a year ago and I used an After Effects template for that one.

Postby plemmens » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 am

heckydog wrote:
obeeone wrote:G'day
Pity
Carl

+1

Besides, it's too easy to use a video editor to make slide shows that are perfectly acceptable to the audience I would make them for. The latest full version of Pinnacle Studio, for example, is around $85 and it's mine to keep if I wanted it. The last good slide show I made was almost a year ago and I used an After Effects template for that one.

+2

I am quite sure that going the subscription way will only further reduce the user base that wasn't so big for PSG/PSP apparently.
I'll keep PSP8 and PS, for which I have been a user/beta tester for about 15 years.

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi everyone, As for me, I will stick with ProShor Producer 8 and perhaps try Luminar 4 enhanced with IA (Artifical intellligence) for my photos ( no need layer or mask to change the sky, excellent for portrait also. quetzal

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:47 am

Like some others, I am an occasional user of PSP - and have been so since version 4 or thereabouts! (and still on version 8) As many of my "shows" are delivered manually as part of lectures, the need for manual advance is critical. i have been advised that the "director" version will have this feature - eventually.....

This and the annual subscription cost make Director a no-no for me - I cannot justify that cost on an annual basis. It looks like my next "upgrade" will be to PTE which currently has the "Pro" version at $139 for outright purchase.

Yes, there will be a learning curve but, as I am not yet totally senile (despite what the kids say), I expect I will get there...... sometime!

Thanks to all who have helped me on this forum over the years - it has been appreciated.

Postby scorpion » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 pm

I have been a ProShow Producer user for many years like many of you. I believe I have bought every single effects pack, style pack, transition pack etc. that they ever sold. I also upgraded Producer many times over the years. So I have invested a lot of money into a program that I absolutely love. So it is a shame that they are no longer a business. Unfortunately, the way they decided to go out was not so graceful. You think they would have been honest and communicated with their loyal customers. Though, what is done, is done.

I won't be renting the new Photopia program. I will never do a subscription to any software company. They can say they are doing it that way for many reasons but I can argue each one of them. Anyways.....what now? I will still use ProShow but it is becoming dated and I need something fresh. Searching around the internet I have discovered several slideshow programs that look just as good, if not better than Photopia. Of course I still need to do some more research before taking a different path. Right now, Photostory Deluxe by Magix looks very promising. It has a one time charge and free updates for a year. Then a discounted price on upgrades. Sounds familiar. Has anyone had any experience with this program?

I wish Photopia the best and hope they succeed but I doubt they will. From seeing how many people on this and other forums have said, they will not do a subscription. Maybe they should be listening to the consumer.
Steve

Valued Member

Postby jskintauy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 pm

I think it is unfortunate that so many will not pay a subscription price. Given the way the software industry works and the need for higher, more consistent revenue to keep producing upgrades, I believe almost all software will become subscription based. We all know that Microsoft, Google and Adobe already do this. Most of the industry seems to be following.
Like many of you, I already have too many subscriptions and I need to pick and choose. I would really like to sign on to Photopia, but feel I would want Director. $24.99 per month is simply more than I am willing to pay at this time. The price will need to come down for me to continue given my level of use. This is also not the only expense of switching from PSP 9. I would also need to purchase music either on a song by song basis or through another subscription. This would add considerably to my expenses. As a photographer, I do many short shows each month and love that I can customize how I please with Producer. Going to Director would be a nicety, but I estimate it would cost at least $50 per month after I include music.
Is $25 per month a reasonable price for Director? I think so and here is why:
It's major competition, Animoto, costs $33 per month. It does include a very extensive music library in that price, but it is a far far less capable editor than Producer, let alone Director.
If you need that kind of power, sell slideshows, or are a big hobbyist, $25 per month is a fair price.
Jim S

Postby funnyguys » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:17 am

I will not be going subscription for the new Director....way too expensive. I have been a ProShow user since 2006...imagine how much that would have already cost me for a subscription...over $3,000! I agree that it seems to be geared toward businesses. I make shows every week for myself and occasionally for others, but what I get paid doesn't even cover the cost of the subscription. I tried the Director trial and was disappointed...a little harder than I thought..probably because it's new. However, I emailed the Help Desk for the new company asking why there was no option to specify the number of layers for slidestyles so I only have to go through those that apply to my slide (like the "Match Slide" option in Producer). It has been over a week and I have not received a reply...just like the bad customer service for ProShow lately. So, I am leery about the new company, particulary since it is some of the old ProShow people that are running the new company...as I have had two trouble tickets in for over a month for Producer with no response either! Is this an indication of things to come with the new product? So, I am keeping and using Producer as long as possible. I love it as it is!

Postby dzacco » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:20 pm

I haven't been active on this site for a while but I'm finding all of this rather disappointing. I looked at the Photopia site and it's seriously pathetic. Will the software be lame as well? No video examples like on ProShow and no transition packages or effects? Do we have to download the free trial to have a look? I own Producer version 6, would it be advisable to upgrade for longevity sake?

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - General Discussion