Are Tiff files a problem?

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Are Tiff files a problem?

Postby jeffdrake » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:16 am

If I were to create a Proshow Producer slideshow using all TIFF photos instead of JPG, are there any issues or problems I might run into? I know the TIFF files are large, but am not sure whether I should care. I am using Proshow Producer 8 currently.

Thanks!

Jeff Drake

Esteemed Member

Re: Are Tiff files a problem?

Postby Marie78 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Hello

I use tiff and psd.

The only issue I sometime encounter is when the file contains a selection layer. If not, no problem and better quality than most jpeg.
Chris Marie

Postby jeffdrake » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks, Chris!

All of my Tiff files will have layers in them. Why is this a problem? What happens?

Jeff

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Re

Images layers are not a problem ony a selection layer (when you save a selection you get a layer in the same list that Red, green, blue, layers - my version is in french then I do know the exact terminology).

I this case this layer is seen by Proshow as a sort of mask (as in windows explorer)
Chris Marie

Postby jeffdrake » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Merci, Chris!

I have tried a few tiff files (with layers) in my proshow pro (version 8), and can't discern any problems so far. I imagine with a 100 tiff files or more, the resulting slideshow might be huge, but I'll just have to see if that is a problem.

Jeff

Postby heckydog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 pm

If your tiff files are 5MB or 10MB each, for example, PSP may have issues with 100 of them since it's a 32 bit program and will only have about 3MB of RAM available, maybe even less than that.

In the end, the fact that they are layered may not be relevant to the final product you're trying to create. In that case, you might think about converting them to jpg or png before adding them to your slide show. Just a thought.

Joe

Return to PSP - General Discussion