Soundtrack issue in new PSP 9?

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Soundtrack issue in new PSP 9?

Postby hcajones » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a problem in PSP9. As far as I remember, before PSP9, if you had video in the show, you had to manually insert volume points to change the background music volume while the video played. In PSP9, it appears that video is automatically recognized and that the background volume is automatically reduced to 50% for the video. However, the volume points that are automatically created cannot be changed, so if you want the volume to be, say, lower, you have to manually add other volume points to, in effect, "override" the 50% pre-set. No problem there. However, as far as I can tell, once I manually insert volume points, they PERMANENTLY lock in on the soundtrack. For example, if I delete a video and then delete all the volume points that I inserted to reduce the volume during that video, the volume reduction is still there, although it's now out of place because there is no video. No volume points show on the soundtrack, but the volume reduction shows in the soundtrack soundwaves and you can hear the volume reduction. Am I just missing something? (More often than not the problem is me and not PSP). Thanks for any help.

Re: Soundtrack issue in new PSP 9?

Postby hcajones » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm

An addition to my own post. I just discovered that even if I delete a soundtrack from the show and then re-insert it, it still holds the volume points that don't show but that are still there. And I should have mentioned that this problem arises, so far, when I use music from the PSP9 audio library. Don't know if it would do the same thing with something else.

Postby hcajones » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Same problem, more information. The volume points created by the automatic 50% reduction when there is a video in the show seem to be locked in TO THE SHOW regardless of what the soundtrack is. If I completely remove several soundtracks and completely replace them (with the same or different soundtracks), the volume reduction occurs where the original 50% sound reduction was earlier automatically inserted. In other words, it appears that the 50% reduction becomes, in effect, permanently locked to that place in the show even if there is no soundtrack, so if you put a soundtrack there, it forces the 50% reduction. The obvious problem this creates is that once PSP9 forces an automatic volume reduction for a video, you will never be able to change the timing of the show without moving the volume reduction somewhere where you don't want it - or, more accurately, you will move photos or video away from the sound reduction that is locked in. (Unless I am just missing something, which wouldn't surprise me at all.)

Postby trondmyhre » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:27 am

I hope I understand your problem correctly. Select Show Options / Soundtrack / Soundtrack During Other Sounds. The volume, as you mention, automatically sets to 50%, but you can adjust the volume level yourself. The downside is, as far as I can see, that you adjust the volume of all the video clips you have added to the show. However, you can adjust the volume individually for each video by using volume points.

Trond

Postby hcajones » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks for the help. The problem is deeper than that. Once PSP has recognized a video and inserted the automatic 50% volume reduction, that reduction is staying locked to the show. The volume reduction occurs at the original spot in the show even if there is no video there and even if the original background track was completely removed and replaced. So, for example, if I had a video in the show starting at 100 seconds and ending at 120 seconds, PSP would do an automatic 50% volume reduction at 100 seconds, and a return to 100% volume at 120 seconds. But if I delete both the video and the background soundtrack and insert another, different soundtrack, that soundtrack will continue to dip at 100 seconds and come back up at 120 seconds even though there are no volume points on the soundtrack to say that's happening. You can only hear it through the speakers.

Postby hcajones » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:24 am

Trond, I wanted to see if your suggestion might lead to a solution for the underlying problem. But when I follow the path you suggested, I end up at the Show Options screen, which shows the current soundtrack, but I don't see any "Soundtrack During Other Sounds" option or any way to get to such an option. I'm probably just missing something obvious. Thanks again.

Postby trondmyhre » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:01 pm

You will find "Soundtrack During Other Sounds" in the right-hand corner at the bottom of the "Show Options" screen. However, I don't experience what you describe if you delete the video, so I unfortunately have no solution to that problem.

Trond

Postby hcajones » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Found it. I was trying to get there by starting with the Show tab, then Show Settings, which brought me to a screen that won't help. So I instead started with the Audio tab, which brought me to Manage Soundtrack, which includes the adjustment option you mentioned. Not sure if this can fix my problem. I'm waiting to hear back from the PS people about this. Right now, it's really gummed up the show I'm working on.

Again, thanks for your help.

Return to PSP - General Discussion