IPTC Caption Styles Not Working

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

IPTC Caption Styles Not Working

Postby trshaner » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:14 pm

I have created three IPTC Caption Styles and they cannot be applied to an '+add' New Caption in the Captions list. It remains as 'Blank Caption.' I've also created a text only copyright Caption Style and it can't be applied either so it's not just an IPTC caption type issue. This is driving me nuts as I work with PS, LR, and many other more complicated apps....so feeling like a bit dumb here! I've already created a slide show using these same caption types, but the created 'Caption Styles' don't work in a new slideshow....

I'm using ProShow Producer 9 on a Windows 7 system and I have experience using ProShow Producer 6 with no issues.

Re: IPTC Caption Styles Not Working

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:11 am

Hi and welcome to the forum !

I assume that you are speaking of Caption Format Styles, with IPTC Metadata Macros.
You are not saying what you actually did to create these styles and/or to apply them, so it's a bit difficult for me to troubleshoot you.

Here are the steps to create such styles:
First add a blank caption to your slide. (Captions > +Add)
Then, from the menu Caption Format, choose T macro and then IPTC Metadata Macros
To put this to test, I only selected the first parameter, and then clicked on Add and then Close.

When you see the caption in your slide (in the preview), you can start customizing it: size, color, alignment etc.
When you are happy with how it looks, you can save it as a caption style:
Caption Format > Manage > Add > Give it a name > Put a check mark on "Make this style available to all shows".
That's it. You now have a new caption style.

To apply this style to other captions, you need to:
1. Insert the caption (again from Metadata Macros)
2. Caption Settings > Style > Open all the names > select the new style that you created.

Could it be that your mistake was that you haven't inserted any caption at all, and therefore there was no style to choose from?

Postby trshaner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:36 am

Thank you for your reply. You are confirming exactly what I am seeing. The 'Caption Format Styles' do not contain the actual inserted 'text' or 'IPTC Caption' originally used. They only apply the settings as checked in the 'Update Caption Style' panel (Font, Bold/Italic, etc.).

(Is there a way to upload and insert an image file here in my reply here?)

So this brings us back to my issue. I am trying to change the IPTC Metadata Macros used in an already placed caption that is used on ALL of the show slides. The only way that I could do this is to remove all of the slides from the show except the first slide. I then right click on the remaining slide and make the desired change to the caption's IPTC Metadata Macros. Next I place ALL of the removed slides back into the show. Finally I right-click on the first slide with the modified caption, select ‘Copy Layers and Captions’ and then ‘Copy Captions.’

I'm hoping there's a better way to make this type of edit to ALL slides without having to edit each slide separately....or as I have described above.

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:25 am

No, of course not. You don't need to edit each slide separately. This is the whole purpose of creating and using macros.

It is true, this type of caption style refers ONLY to settings: size, font, position, alignment etc. It does NOT refer to the text itself.

So, if all your images have the same IPTC fields/parameters, there shouldn't be any problem with copying them. Here is what you need to do.

Make your show, with all the pictures that you want to include.
Create your first caption in the fist slide, as described above.
Then, RIGHT click on the caption itself (left side of the slide options window). From the menu that opens, choose "Copy to all slides".
This action will copy the macro, but will insert a DIFFERENT caption in each and every slide of your show, depending on the image that you have in each slide.
Go back to your first slide and apply the style that you saved.
Then, go to Caption Format, and RIGHT click on the name of the style. From the menu that opens, choose "Copy caption style to all slides" (or whatever suits your purpose).

Postby trshaner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 am

Mona, the procedure you described is for creating a "new show" and adding captions, which is exactly what I have done. I have no issues in creating a new show with the same captions placed on all slides.

The issue I'm having is when trying to edit (or delete) an IPTC caption in an "existing show" that already has the same captions placed on all of the slides. I'm using three (3) IPTC captions and one (1) Text caption placed on ALL slides in exactly the same places using a procedure similar to what you describe. I'm now trying to edit one specific IPTC caption and apply that change to the same IPTC caption on ALL slides.

If I use 'Copy Layers and Captions'> 'Copy Captions,' select the edited caption, and then apply to all other slides it places a new caption on top of the existing caption I'm trying to change. I guess this would work if there was some easy way to first "delete" just this specific caption from all of the slides. Is that possible?

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:55 am

trshaner wrote:... I'm now trying to edit one specific IPTC caption and apply that change to the same IPTC caption on ALL slides.

What you should do is edit the style itself (and not the caption), and then resave it using the same name. Once you do that, all the captions that use that style will change automatically.

Sorry for not understanding your intentions from the first, but you did start this thread by saying that the styles were not working for you.

Postby trshaner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05 pm

I do now understand how Caption Styles work and that they don't contain the actual 'Text' or 'IPTC Metadata Macro' data inserted into the caption. To clarify I'm trying to change the IPTC Metadata Macro in one caption and I think we both agree this can't be done by editing the Caption Style. So there doesn't appear to be a "built-in" way of applying this type of caption editing to All Slides (or Selcted Slides), which is why I suggested the below:

If I use 'Copy Layers and Captions'> 'Copy Captions,' select the edited caption, and then apply to all other slides it places a new caption on top of the existing caption I'm trying to change. I guess this would work if there was some easy way to first "delete" just this specific caption from all of the slides. Is that possible?

Is there a way to delete a specific caption from 'All slides' or preferably 'All Selected Slides?' Or is there another way to accomplish this objective?

Just to clarify here's an example of what I'm trying to do. Since it is not a selection in the Caption Style this edit will not appear on the other slides, correct?

Current Caption Text
\[iptc State] \[iptc CountryName]

Desired Edited Caption Text
\[iptc CountryName]

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:11 pm

trshaner wrote:Is there a way to delete a specific caption from 'All slides' or preferably 'All Selected Slides?' Or is there another way to accomplish this objective?

No.

Postby trshaner » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:01 pm

After looking at this further there is an easy work-around that doesn't require the ability to delete specific captions on all slides.

How to Change IPTC Caption Text & Caption Placement Settings Used on All Slides

1) On the 1st slide in the show make the desired changes to Caption Text and Caption Placement settings to one or more of the captions.

2) Select All Slides except the one you edited in the above step. Right-click on any of the selected slides and choose Remove> Remove Captions.

3) Next right-click on the 1st slide with updated captions and select ‘Copy Layers and Captions’ and then ‘Copy Captions.’ In the ‘Copy Captions’ panel under ‘Copy From’ check the 1st slide and under ‘To Slides’ select ‘all’ and then uncheck the 1st slide being copied from. Click on ‘Copy & Close.

All changes made to the captions in the 1st slide will be copied over to all of the selected slides. There's an even better solution.

Since the same captions appear on ALL slides use Global Captions. Under ‘Caption Settings’ check ‘Show Caption – Appears on every slide.’ Then when the global caption is edited the changes will appear automatically on all other slides. This what I ended up using.

Postby cherub » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm glad that you have found a solution that suits your purpose.

Return to PSP - General Discussion