General advice to redo old videos

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

General advice to redo old videos

Postby danna » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:37 am

Looking for general advice on how to go about re-doing some old videos I have on disc.
They were recorded with a camcorder many years ago and copied to disc.
There are 5 different events on disc.
I would like to add menu's for each event and make a new dvd with PSP or PSG.
Here is a screen shot of the folders on disc.

Re: General advice to redo old videos

Postby heckydog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:47 pm

If at all possible, I'd suggest getting hold of the original camcorder files and transcoding them over again and creating avi files to work with for editing. Were they VHS or VHS-C tapes by any chance?

But, judging by the age of the dvd files it's more likely that the camcorder and the original tapes are long gone so that's probably out of the question.

So, the only files you'd be interested in are the vob files. The ifo and bup files are only instruction files for the dvd and you don't need them.

You can copy the vob files to your computer and just change the extension to mpg, since that's all they are. After that you can edit them any way you like. Personally, I think you'd be better off using a video editor rather than PSP/PSG. PSP/PSG is a good slide show creator but a somewhat mediocre video editing progam, in my opinion :wink:

Something to keep in mind, when those camcorder files were originally copied to disc, a certain amount of data was lost when they were transcoded to mpg files. If they have to be transcoded again, you will lose even more quality. You might not be thrilled with the end result so be prepared.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:50 am

I agree with what Joe says. Often people are currently used to dealing with todays video which is typically 720p or better and are shocked when they look at old video and see how much worse it looks than current stuff. That said, one thing I would consider doing (just a personal preference on my part) is going into your windows options and setting it to show all file types, not the default of "hide file extensions of known file types" or whatever it is. I hate it when it shows me a bunch of file names without the file types. If you are interested in some more info on just what the files are on your DVD, check out this link https://www.videohelp.com/dvd for some very good details on just what is on a DVD and what the resolutions etc. are.
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby danna » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 am

@heckydog
I think some may be from VHS camcorder my sister had, and those files would not be available.
Some should be from a camcorder I had which I think was super 8, possible I still have those.

Thanks for the vob info, was not sure if I needed all those files.

@gpsmikey
Thanks for that link, lots of info there.

Do not follow on the "hide extensions" stuff though.
The image I included showed the file types .....

Return to PSP - General Discussion