Version 9 is out

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Re: Version 9 is out

Postby VideoHobbyist » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:23 am

I just downloaded the latest version 9.0.3771 as a free update. Unfortunately, it won't install. I keep getting a message that I should disable my antivirus which I did. It still wont install. Does anyone have a suggestion to help me install it? Maybe I should just wait until there is a fix. I am running a 64 bit version of Windows 10 which should not be an issue because version 8 installed with no problem. :?:

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 am

My install went without incident on my Win 10 64bit PC. Rather than use the "Check for Updates" feature in the program I went to the Photodex site and logged into my account. It showed I was eligible for the free update and I used the download link on that page. I'm always careful to have the old version closed when I do the install. You might try downloading again.

Postby VideoHobbyist » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:03 am

I just ran into major problems. I gave up installing v9 and tried to open V8 which has been working fine. In fact I used it last night. It wont open. I tried to reinstall V8 and I get the same message that it wont install. Since everything was fine last night, the installer for v9 must have messed up V8.

So now I have nothing. I am computer literate but cant think of what to do now. I don't want to uninstall v8 and lose all my settings. This is a mess. Further suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Postby VideoHobbyist » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:06 am

I should have mentioned that I am also using a 64 bit PC Windows 10 and that V8 was closed when I tried installing v9.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:49 am

Hello

Did you choose a different folder when you installed V9 ?

If not, I think your V8 is now mixed with some files of V9.

I am not 100% sure but I think that the configuration file is proshow.cfg in the software folder. proshow.phd is also used for settings.

I would save those files and try to reinstall V8...
Chris Marie

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:02 am

The single major enhancement to the software is Photodex's efforts to make modifiers more accessible to everyday users. I suspect there will be a number of updates as users discover all the glitches not noticed as this version was being developed. It might well be a wait-and-see affair. Give them time. They'll either succeed admirably or fall flat on their faces. Only time will tell.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:31 am

Since now neither version will install I suggest doing a complete uninstall of version 8 using the Windows Settings -> Apps tool. I would also delete the Proshow Producer folder, re-boot and then do an install making sure you have access to your license number.

Postby VideoHobbyist » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. Before I uninstalled everything which I did not want to do, I contacted Photodex who gave me a simple solution.
They suggested I just right click on the installer file and select Run as Administrator. It worked and here I am with a brand new version 9 running and all my stuff saved.
Thanks again.

Postby Astra » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:51 am

I do NOT WANT to be giving un-soliciting ADVICE - BUT:

1- Download the NEW update (you will then (usually) find the EXE file in DOWNLOADS)
2 - Run it - into a NEW directory - (create the directory, which is SOMEWHERE else from- what ever you have had your old (working Producer/Photodex - like Ver 8 or lower)
3 - KEEP both VERSIONS !!! - In Directories / Versions --- until you are comfortable with the NEW one
4 - If you are working on EXISTING Project/Show (from older version) - Start it from Ver8 Icon
5 - Checking / Learning NEW stuff - got to NEW ICON of VER-9 ...
6 - If you want to experiment with EXISTING show in a NEW version - SAVE the existing Slideshow with a NEW name (... XXX-suffix-Ver9)
7 - PROBLEMS !!!! - This is NOTHING NEW - all softwares has some glitches at new fresh versions - does't mean, that software is defective.

As of myself - (today 8-27-2017) - I've went thru points 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 - so far, just touched the new stuff ....

Hope, it will help,
Astra

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:54 pm

I do the same as Astra, and I highly recommend the process.

My method is to first create a new sub-directory in the Photodex folder, in this case I called it Producer 9. Then when installing version 9, I made sure to point it to that directory.

The other important thing is to not let it create icons because, if you do, the new icons can override the old ones. Once installed, I right-click the proshow.exe file in the new directory and choose Send to > Desktop. It's a new icon that you can immediately rename Producer 9, leaving the Producer 8 icon intact.

Barbara

Postby swinada » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:43 pm

upgraded from version 5 to 9. The reason was i wanted to combine slideshows in to one and v9 can do this 5 could not. Not sure if in between 6,7,8 could.
This part worked great in v9 however now that i try to render the show it keeps locking up my computer to the point were i have to hold the power button down to restart it.
Sadly v9 is still a 32bit program, back in 2012 i contacted PhotoDex to see if they are planning to make a 64 bit version and apparently they still haven't gotten around to it even though they said they are working on something.

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re the Proshow icon. Before installing a new Proshow version, rename the existing icon by adding the version, e.g, Proshow Producer 8. The new version will then just create another vanilla icon without the version number. It won't overwrite your old icon.

I'm still running with version 6 because I still feel insufficient has been added, of any real use, to justify the update cost. They seem to be tinkering around the edges to justify a new version and bring in the money. It appears that more effort goes into the Blog than the product. It's very sad because it is/was a great product but it seems the technical and innovative limit was reached 2/3 versions ago.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 am

I used version 5 until last year in July when I purchased the version 8 upgrade for the output capabilities. I now have version 9 but I didn't pay for it. I got it free because I made a comment on Facebook under one of their advertisements for version 9. The comment I made was...
DAMN! Wouldn't you know it, my free upgrade eligibility just passed exactly a month ago.
Soon after I posted that comment a photodex moderator commented that I should call photodex and he would arrange a one time free upgrade. So I did, and they gave me a key and I now have version 9. That being said, there have already been two or three fixes that I have no access to so I have to use version 9 as is. Not wo worry though. I still have version 8 working just fine.
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:37 am

I hope the version you downloaded had at least one of the updates!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:57 am

When I first downloaded the version was ProShow Producer 9.0.3768?? Then I noticed that a couple of hours after I downloaded that a revision came out and was now ProShow Producer 9.0.3769. I made the comment again on FB that I had just downloaded the new version 9 but that it was already out of date due to a fix that came out 2 hours after I had downloaded it. Photodex then sent me a new key and I was able to get ProShow Producer 9.0.3769. However, there is a new fix and the current version is now ProShow Producer 9.0.3771 and I don't qualify for that. I was looking for what the revisions fix but I can't find that information. They used to have it before. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place. Oh well.
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - General Discussion