SSD vs. HDD?

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

SSD vs. HDD?

Postby Ezra » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:42 am

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to a new laptop and I am looking forward to do a new montage :-). (see system specs below)
I am currenlty using proshow v6 installed on my C: drive which is the SSD drive. I also have a 1TB (5400rpm) HDD drive installed.
My question is, which drive should I be storing my media (ie photos) and which drive should I be saving the projects. I would assume that the SSD drive would be better/faster, but by using the HDD it affords me a less expensive route to remove and replace the drive when full. Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ezra
System: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series. Quad core i7 6700HQ Processor, 16gb DDR3L 1600mhz ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m 4GB GDDR5 card, Samsung 500GB SSD Samsung c: drive + 1TB (5400rpm) Hybrid HDD with 8GB Flash cache. Windows 10 Home 64bit. Producer V6.

Re: SSD vs. HDD?

Postby heckydog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:10 am

I agree with you, use the HDD for storing your media and use the SSD for your program files, OS, and so on.

However, I don't understand why you would remove and replace your HDD if it started filling up. Don't let it fill up. If there's files you want to keep for long term storage move them off your internal drive to another drive, dvd, BD disc, or flash drive. I have a 1TB internal HDD that I try to keep no more than about 1/2 to 3/4 full at any given time.

Joe

Postby Ezra » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. You have a good point. I guess I'm a file hoarder. I just like the idea of having the shows accessible in case my clients want changes or to show as demo's. I was just figuring that rather than offloading the shows to another drive, I would just take the HDD out and put a new one in, but I suppose you are right - after a while I could start deleting old shows :-)

I just started my first project on my new improved system last night and decided to work off the 500GB SSD since my main concern was the speed/responsiveness while creating and rendering the montage. I am currently storing the original .jpg images (small files) AND the show files on the SSD. So far pretty smooth. I will use the HDD to store any rendered MP4 or other files.
System: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series. Quad core i7 6700HQ Processor, 16gb DDR3L 1600mhz ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m 4GB GDDR5 card, Samsung 500GB SSD Samsung c: drive + 1TB (5400rpm) Hybrid HDD with 8GB Flash cache. Windows 10 Home 64bit. Producer V6.

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Well, yeah, lots of people delete old shows when they are done with them. On the other hand, there have been a significant number of posts here in the past with people gnashing their teeth trying to find a way to change a show they did in the past (change text, delete an ex spouse or something) and they were quite upset to find that without the .psh file and other source files, they are sort of up a crick. You can safely delete the .pxc (cache files) without any problem and they can get pretty big (Proshow will rebuild them if needed). You might want to check out the "collect show files" option as a way to put everything in one place although you really can't compress jpg files - they are already compressed.
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Deadman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Just remember when rendering, you not only use your video card your also using your hard drive. So you should use your ssd for the rendering of videos and store your items on your HDD.. Just a thought. Same occurs when using Adobe after effects etc during rendering.

Return to PSP - General Discussion