Switch to full style
Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Post a reply

Images not updating?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:18 am

Hi,

Am using 8.0.3648 on a Win 10 PC and am building a slide show - so far so good! I have added various slides to the show and subsequently went back to the original images and reworked them in PS taking care to save them under the same name and directory structure as the images already in the show.

On opening the show in PSP this morning, I was surprised to see that the changed images were not updated automatically in the show as had always happend in previous versions. I had to go in and add the changed images to the slides that I had updated.

Has anyone else seen this issue or have I missed soemthing?

Thansk for any help you can give me.
Dave

Re: Images not updating?

Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:00 am

Just curious if you opened them from within Producer? I always open the slide in Producer and select to "open in editor" or something like that. Then I just click Save.

ginger

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:47 am

Hi Ginger,

Did not open via PSP - worked directly from the RAW files in Bridge, opened in ACR and then PS before saving into the "show" directory under the same name (effectively the image number) as psd files.

This is the same workflow I have had for several years and this is the first time I have seen this issue of not updating.

I always thought the PSP working file just had a link to the various images and that it just accessed the relevant file name.

Dave

Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm not sure, but do the .psd files still have the sidecar files associated with them ? I don't do it that way for my stuff (I shoot in RAW, but open in camera raw from bridge then save the modified file as a jpg, but I'm wondering if you are getting bitten with the "updated images" being the data in the sidecar file being updated and not actually in the .psd file.

mikey

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:46 am

Hi Mikey,

psd files do not need "sidecars" xmp files - so far as I know they are only needed for RAW. Havign staretd PSP today, I find images are upadting as expected -please don't ask why as I have no idea! Images are still on the same physical disc as yesterday and I have not rebuilt the PC.... Will just have to blame Windows for having an "off day" - again!

Thanks for suggestion though.

Dave

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:56 am

There is another possibility that I ran into some years ago and I can only remember pieces of right now - windows (and Proshow?) generates the thumbnail one of two ways - it either gets it from the embedded thumbnail in the image (if it has one) or it creates one if the image does not have an embedded thumbnail. I ran into an issue where I was changing images in some editor (don't remember just what the exact sequence or editor was) that was updating the image, but NOT the embedded thumbnail. End result was that windows explorer was showing the unmodified image. The solution at the time was some utility that stripped the embedded thumbnails out of the image, forcing windows to create a thumbnail from the real image. Hey, presto, now the image thumbnails were what I expected. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what tools I was using but it seems to me that at least part of it involved adding text to the image (I believe these were all jpgs I was working with). Anyway, just a thought or as you say perhaps windows was having a bad day :evil: You might contact Photodex support and see if they have any words of enlightenment on the issue.

mikey

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks Mikey,

Sounds like a fun problem with your thumbnails! Will see if it does it again.

Dave
Post a reply