seamlessly repeat a style.

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

seamlessly repeat a style.

Postby silversmith » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 am

I note a style in which 6 images march from left to right across the screen. I would like to have this same effect repeated seamlessly for 52 images. That is, in the same way that 6 images advance along the screen do this instead for 50+ images with no transitions, as if the style were for 52 and not 6. Is there any simple way to do this? Many thanks.

Re: seamlessly repeat a style.

Postby heckydog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:18 pm

The answer to your question is probably no, there's no simple way to make a 6 image style into a 52 image style. But it would help to know which specific style you're referring to.

Joe

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:00 pm

The answer is Yes, it's possible. The effect must be designed to do so however. Checkout my Images Hanger Line effect for an example ... the effect is extensible to however many images you want...

It's similar to what you describe.

Carousels I, III, IV, and V contain infinitely extensible carousel effects. Grid Grid Pro has a grid effect that is extensible as well. Many of my effects are built to allow seamlessly going from one slide to another.

One of the keys to doing this is to think about what you want to do and how to do it. The idea is to control Timing, placement, and size control to do what you want to do. I have a tutorial on Pan Following that can give you the tools to do what you want to do. Specifically tho, parts 4a and 4b might be specific to what you're looking for (at least they'll point you in the right direction). What you want to do becomes quite a bit less difficult once you know the secret of how to approach the idea.

Have fun! Good luck.

Visit my site at fenimorephotovideos.com.

The styles mentioned are under the ProShow | Styles menu tab.
The tutorials are under the ProShow | Training menu tab.

Check out additional information at FPVP.Wordpress.com

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby silversmith » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:23 am

Thank you Dale for this information. It is good stuff, but complex enough for me to take days to really implement. I will try.
In the meantime I had a thought of a workaround: Is it possible to set the start of a slide to be exactly the same as the end of a previous slide? For example, for a style of 6 images marching along next to each other left to right, could the end 6th image of one slide (with that slide's trailing off other prior images) be the 1st image of the next? This process could then be repeated over and over to give the effect I am trying to create, that is, 50 images all marching along next to each other.
Again, many thanks for your assistance!
Peter

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:58 am

The short and sweet answer is yes. It's an approach which ProShow Gold users must rely on. I don't have the program up right now but, there is an option to set the start time of the layer to the end time of the layer on the previous slide. I haven't used this feature in a long while because of how I'm able to take advantage of certain program features. But, at one time I used it quite a lot. It's not a panacea ... But it can make things simpler. To do it right, you still need to carefully plan what you're doing ... It's just not as exacting requirement as what I described earlier. If I remember right, the feature you're looking for may be under a right click menu option: match next ... Match previous ... Something like that.

I'll have to take a look see when next I'm at my computer. In the meantime, maybe you'll find it first. :D

So, it's probable that you can do what you want to do. However, you should note that the position of each layer that will appear at the end of the current layer must be duplicated on the next layer ... In preparation of displaying the March of the next set of image layers across the screen. So, you have layer A, B, C, D, E, and F move across the screen on Slide 1. A, B, and C move off the screen, leaving D, E, and F on the Screen. Slide 2 will begin with layer D, E, and F in exactly the same positions they had when Slide 1 ended. The motion will continue such tht D, E, and F move off the screen and G, H, and I move onto the screen. Then you repeat the process for Slide 3.

Happy hunting! :D :D

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby silversmith » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:37 am

Again I am grateful for your guidance, Dale.
I found the "Match" function ("Choose how this layer is matched to the next slide"). I fiddled with this - applying the same style to the second slide after new 6 images but before the "Match"; applying this "Match" before 6 new images but after applying the style to the second slide, etc. I could not get this to work. Darn. All I really want is the second slide of a style of 6 marching images to just continue seamlessly from the same style of slide before. Any insight (or walking me through) greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Peter

Postby cherub » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:50 am

Peter,
It would be really helpful if you could tell us the name of the style that you are trying to change.

Postby heckydog » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:07 am

As I was trying to say in my earlier post, it's not as simple as it sounds. And sometimes the answers are not all in PSP.

I did this using Photoshop and PSP. I'm not going to do 50 photos but I could have.

http://www.photodex.com/share/sticky_buns/2dk2wmg4

Joe

Postby silversmith » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:21 am

Sure. I am using "Basic Montages, Reflected Pan Sequence Light, 6 layer". It is a sequence of 6 images marching across the screen. I want a style that marches across quickly with 50 images, instead of six. Right now I was hoping to be able to use slides of 6 with each subsequent slide beginning where the previous on left off so it looks like a smooth uninterrupted sequence.
Thanks again.

Postby cherub » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:23 pm

silversmith wrote:Sure. I am using "Basic Montages, Reflected Pan Sequence Light, 6 layer". It is a sequence of 6 images marching across the screen. I want a style that marches across quickly with 50 images, instead of six. Right now I was hoping to be able to use slides of 6 with each subsequent slide beginning where the previous on left off so it looks like a smooth uninterrupted sequence.
Thanks again.

Peter,
I checked that style. It is based on calculations, with pan values that have been calculated for each picture and picture. Therefore, your idea to continue to the next slide from where the last picture ends, cannot work.

You do realize that a slide using that style, with 50 images, will end up having 100 (101) layers, because of the reflections... :cry: and will need a time of at least 50-60 seconds.

Personally, I don't have the time, nor the inclination to calculate 50 layers of pictures. I also don't have the patience to put everything on modifiers and to write this 100 times. :cry:
Perhaps Dale will volunteer :D
Also, I have my doubts about how well such a huge slide will run on a normal computer.

So, here is what I suggest:
I've made for you an identical slide style, that uses 5 pictures instead of the original 6.
You can download it from here: https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/5pwPW

You may use this style in 10 consecutive slides, with an A/B transition of 1 second in between. Or, if you wish (and I think this is even better), you may use a more spectacular transition in between, and this will break up the monotony of that procession. 50 images, one after the other, is a bit too much. Your viewers will get bored, I think.

Postby silversmith » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 am

Cherub: I am very grateful for your advice and interest - including your thoughts on breaking up the boredom. The style you kindly made for me works fine. My only question is this: your style has 5 images, while the one with which I was working had 6 - other than that, as it is shown in PSP, they are similar, right? Again, many thanks.

Postby cherub » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:58 am

silversmith wrote:Cherub: I am very grateful for your advice and interest - including your thoughts on breaking up the boredom. The style you kindly made for me works fine. My only question is this: your style has 5 images, while the one with which I was working had 6 - other than that, as it is shown in PSP, they are similar, right? Again, many thanks.

Yes, precisely.
The styles are identical except the number of pictures to use.
5 pictures instead of 6.
Also note that I only made the light version, and only for the widescreen format. I haven't added a style for 4:3 television (old TVs) as in the built-in styles.

Postby im42n8 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:51 am

Mona's style uses a version of the approach I described earlier. By carefully considering the position of each image, you can create an effect that allows you to use multiple slides that, when played create a continuous string of images for the viewer ... Who will have no idea that multiple slides were used.

You do NOT want to use a slide that contains too many images in it ... ProShow could run out of resources if you try it. This is particularly true if you transition from one slide with many image layers on it to another similarly laden slide. The transition from one slide to the other temporarily has both slides in memory at the same time. When ProShow runs out of resources it crashes.

The Hanger Line effect I created has a maximum of 8 images per slide (landscape or portrait) ... But it allows you to use as few as 2 (you set the quantity, effectively) at a time and still have the ability to create an infinitely long carousel using multiple slides. This limit on the number of images per slide gets around the memory limitation, particularly if you have large images. I created that effect to get around the limitations of a similar ProShow effect .. With their effect, I found it impossible to make a seamless extension to display more images. But, I gave it considerably more flexibility than the ProShow version. It's all in the design .... Knowing where the images are on the screen at the end of the slide ... So you can set up the next slide to display images that give the viewer a seamless viewing experience.

Study Mona's effect when you have the time. Take a look at the tutorials I mentioned earlier ... They'll give you information you can use for slideshows in the future.

Now ... HAVE FUN! :D
Dale

Return to PSP - General Discussion