hide all but one layer

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

hide all but one layer

Postby silversmith » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:43 pm

In trying to adjust each layer's effects, I sometimes have to hide 20 plus other layers to work with the one I want. Currently I hide them one by one followed by unhiding them one by one. Is there any way to hide them all and then just unhide the one I want to work with? Thanks.

Re: hide all but one layer

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Nope ... not at this time.

That said, you CAN automate it so some degree using a modifier. Set or select one layer as your MASTER layer. The Opacity of this layer will be monitored by all others that you want to be affected (via a modifier). Let's assume this is Layer 1 (let's assume you've named it "MASTER").

Now, you're going to go to EACH LAYER (in the opacity option in the EFFECTS tab under the Adjustments section) that you will want to turn on/off the opacity of. Right click over the opacity of each layer, in turn, and select ADD MODIFIER.

Apply the modifier using the following:
Leave "APPLY TO" as set to "ALL KEYFRAMES."
Select "VARIABLE AMOUNT USING" ... then in the dropdown list select "OPACITY"
Set FROM to Layer 1 "(Master)"
Click on the Actions "+ add" button.
Go to TYPE OF ACTION and select the "Subtract from Modifier."
In CONSTANT AMOUNT enter 100.

Your actions should now look like the following:
+ Opacity from Layer 1 ("Master")
============
Do this for each layer you want to turn off / off at the same time.

When you want to turn off the desired layers, select the master layer. Click on the Slide Options ADJUSTMENTS tab. Set Opacity to 0 (which is OFF) or 100 (which is ON) -- it will affect all keyframes on the Master Layer if you adjust the value here vs on each keyframe on the layer. When you play or scrub the layer, all layers who's opacity setting you added the modifier to will have the opacity of your master layer. Note that I'm assuming you're leaving the layer's default opacity value at 100 for each of the layers to which you're applying the modifier.

Now, when you scrub or play the slide, all layers to which you applied the modifier to will be affected by the OPACITY value of the "MASTER" layer.

Have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby cherub » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:58 pm

silversmith wrote:In trying to adjust each layer's effects, I sometimes have to hide 20 plus other layers to work with the one I want. Currently I hide them one by one followed by unhiding them one by one. Is there any way to hide them all and then just unhide the one I want to work with? Thanks.

I don't know what are the settings that you chose for your working space, but have you tried the option "Hide Inactive Layers" ? or perhaps "Darken Inactive Layers" (which I personally prefer).
To get to these options, right click on the main preview of your slide (in Slide Options) and choose your preference.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:47 am

Mona's solution works (to some or even great extent) on the static preview only. That could be exactly what you want ... but then, too it depends upon what you're trying to do. However, if you scrub or play the slide, those options of darken/hide/show inactive layers becomes immediately ineffective ... and the layer you're working on will be in among the other layers as before you called for help.

Like Mona, I like the darken inactive layers in the static preview window.

But, when I want to focus on a particular layer without the distraction of other layers, I turn layers off (in one fashion or another) in the layer stack. I usually turn on only those layers that I need at any given time.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby heckydog » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Maybe in version 8.xx Photodex can add a solo button to each layer. :)

After Effects has it and it works just as silversmith describes.

Joe

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Ain't gonna happen Joe. This isn't AE and never will be. Don't expect it in v8, v9, v10 .... v15. Be surprised if it DOES appear ... but, don't hold your breath for any length of time ... you'll turn blue first.

Photodex is so afraid of "feature bloat" that the brakes on features and feature enhancements are pedal to the metal. A number of basic features and options are in need of an update ... but, they haven't been addressed yet either (and requests for their update has existed for years). So, we have to deal with what we have and work from there.

Dale

Postby heckydog » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:04 pm

It makes no difference what software a solo button is used in. The fact that I mentioned AE doesn't mean I was drawing a comparison to PSP.

And the function is almost already there anyway but Photodex, in their infinite wisdom, has made it harder than it needs to be. Right Click any layer, choose Visibility, then Hide All. Then select the layer(s) you want visible.

Return to PSP - General Discussion