Doing a workshop.

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Doing a workshop.

Postby bob walden » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:17 pm

In late spring I'll be doing a workshop on identifying and finding clues in old photos. So I will be speaking and explaining using my own collection of photos and want to incorporate stills and some video which I will need to be able to start and stop at appropriate times. Also will be showing a few tips on photo restoration using Photoshop Elements. I've given the presentation before but want to spice it up a bit. I'm pretty boring. Does this sound more like a Power Point thing or PSP or a combination of the two? Also I am planing on buying a 40" Smart tv to use as a monitor run from my desktop. Does that make sense? Any help or experience with this type of project is welcome. I am using PSP 6.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Doing a workshop.

Postby pd » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:44 am

PowerPoint and Producer are totally different beasts and are great for what they were designed. I f you are delivering a lecture, PowerPoint is your best bet. It gives you flexibility to add to your slides and edit (by hiding) slides you do not want to show up to the last minute. if you are running it on a laptop and a projector (in extended mode), on your laptop you can have it display of what slide is coming next or have your notes displayed. That way you do not have to watch what is going out behind your shoulder. It gives you flexibility to search or go back to a specific slide.
You also have plenty of transitions and animation to keep everybody happy. You can link videos to it as well.
PowerPoint is not meant for instruction or delivering a lecture. In my opinion, it is meant for slideshows which will run on their own (unsupervised). You can pause the show but you also stop the music.
You cannot do last minute changes quickly. Key-frames are something which PowerPoint does not have.

Why a smart TV. if you intend to watch TV on it as well, than its fine. If you intend to use it as a monitor, buy a monitor as the pixels should be finer. you will find that attaching another TV/monitor to your computer, changes your life for the better. You become more efficient and you will never go back to a single display . . . ever.
regards.
pd

Postby bob walden » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:54 am

I have dl'd LibraOffice and it seems to be similar in layout to PowerPoint. And it was free. As this is a free workshop I do want to keep my investment down as much as possible. The main purpose of using using some kind of slide presentation is to be able to illustrate points such as how to determine an Daguerreotype from a Ambrotype from a Tintype. Just holding up examples wont work. I will be using a laptop as I will also be showing some basic workflow techniques using Elements to help fix minor problems but more importantly how to use it to help save these photos, instead of just having them dumped in boxes in attics.

As for the smart tv, I was going to buy one for the upstairs anyway. And from what I understand the resolution on a smart tv would be higher then on a monitor. I presently use a 24" monitor and don't think that would be visible to people sitting a ways back. However a 40" tv screen would have a much farther reach. Am I wrong?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:44 am

Hi Bob

I have never used LibraOffice, but have used Powerpoint for presentations, but my understanding is that LibraOffice can do much the same as Powerpoint.

I feel Powerpoint has an advantage over just using Producer. A Producer clip can be inserted as a video onto a Powerpoint slide if required. The video can be shown, points discussed and then move on to the next slide which can be text or another video, or an extension of the previous video.

This type of slide presentation gives plenty of time to talk and the ability to vary from one workshop to another depending on audience.

Brian
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:38 am

bob walden wrote:I have dl'd LibraOffice and it seems to be similar in layout to PowerPoint. And it was free. As this is a free workshop I do want to keep my investment down as much as possible. The main purpose of using using some kind of slide presentation is to be able to illustrate points such as how to determine an Daguerreotype from a Ambrotype from a Tintype. Just holding up examples wont work. I will be using a laptop as I will also be showing some basic workflow techniques using Elements to help fix minor problems but more importantly how to use it to help save these photos, instead of just having them dumped in boxes in attics.

As for the smart tv, I was going to buy one for the upstairs anyway. And from what I understand the resolution on a smart tv would be higher then on a monitor. I presently use a 24" monitor and don't think that would be visible to people sitting a ways back. However a 40" tv screen would have a much farther reach. Am I wrong?

Hi, I am not familiar with LibraOffice so I cannot comment.
You might get away with using a TV for a lecture if it is a tiny group. I would say 50" is better and still affordable. It would be best if you hire a HD projector. Filling a wall with your images makes a huge impact. Using the laptop in extended mode gives you the flexibility to move programs parked on your laptop screen by dragging to your TV/Projector screen.
regards.
pd

Postby bob walden » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks Brian. You said pretty much what I thought. At the moment I don't plan on any video. I need PowerPoint mainly for showing things that are not in my collection or that are too small to hold up. And I certainly don't want to pass around my priceless (to me) items. We are a small farming community in Iowa and I see old family photos and historical photos being lost at so many auctions and estate sales. Once they are gone they usually end up in some box hidden in a resale shop (I don't call them antique shops!) or people try to sell the on Ebay. At the very least I hope to encourage people to have copies made of things that would be of interest to the community history.

pd, We are a small community and I don't anticipate a lot of people turning out. However we do have some FB groups that are interested in local history and this I feel is an important part. As for renting a monitor I can't find any place within reason that rents larger monitors. I have seen 40" smart tv's for $300-400. This I could sort of justify to the wife as an upstairs tv. We have a 42" downstairs and that fits our needs. As this will most likely be a one off workshop I do have to keep cost down as they will be all mine. Well, except the venue. Our old time engine and tractor group has a brand new Learning Center which will be ideal. And no cost to me.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 am

I would not purchase a TV for a one off event. Hiring a projector is more appealing as the image is much larger. As the venue has a Learning Centre, they might have what you need. If not, convince them they need one.
regards.
pd

Return to PSP - General Discussion