Copying complete Slides

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Copying complete Slides

Postby Alanvang » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 am

I would like to copy all the slides from another slide show in a project to the first slide show. I cannot see a way of doing this in Proshow Producer 7 apart from selecting all the slides in show 2, then selecting show 1 and pasting them in. However Proshow crashes when I do this, no matter how many slides I selected from show 2. :(

Re: Copying complete Slides

Postby hcajones » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm

I copy slides from one show to another quite often. The process you describe is the process I use. I am far removed from being a computer expert, but I would suggest copying just a few of the slides and then pasting them to see what happens. My wild guess would be that the crashing is because of the size of what you are trying to move. You may have to move it in pieces.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49 am

Hello
Alanvang wrote:...However Proshow crashes when I do this, no matter how many slides I selected from show 2. :(

I would say, you have either a ram limitation or a problem in show1.

Try to copy it to a empty new show to verify ....
Chris Marie

Postby Alanvang » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:19 am

Thanks for your replies - I was beginning to come to the same conclusions myself - I have Windows 10 and 12GB of RAM - but I think you are right and will try out your suggestions.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi
Alanvang wrote:...I have Windows 10 and 12GB of RAM...

Proshow is a 32 bits software and use only what is left in the first 3go...
Chris Marie

Postby im42n8 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:41 am

Typically There should be no problem copying ALL or only a few slides from one slideshow into another. Typically, if you're experiencing a crash the problem is "most likely" a problem with the PHD file (proshow.phd). Also, you typically shouldn't run into memory problems until you actually RUN the show. If you have two slides back-to-back which have significant memory requirements, you may have a problem with crashing as the transition occurs and both slides are in memory at the same time. Another problem "might" be a resources, which you also will not typically see unless you have significant numbers of text layers and you have an earlier version of ProShow than the latest release (the recent release still has some related such issues but they've been significantly mitigated). So, unless you have a significant number of images on any number of a significant number of slides, you're NOT going to crash Proshow for RAM related issues (that is, go over the 32-bit memory limit). The issue is more likely a corrupted ProShow file.

So, as a test, you might rename the proshow.phd file (located in the installation folder of ProShow). Once renamed, ProShow will assume no proshow.phd file exists and will regenerate it. Try your copy operations again. While the chance for the .cfg file to become corrupted too is small, it's possible it too has become corrupted.

If you've first deleted the PXC file for the shows (that's the cache file for each show, roughly equivalent to a video file's transcode file ... and it gets regenerated upon being re-opening the show) and you still have the problem, rename the PHD and CFG files (temporarily) and try the copy operation, if the crash fails to occur, restore the original CFG file and reopen the shows and try the copy. If the crash fails to occur, restore the PHD file and try again. If the crash fails to occur, there's something else going on ... and the problem might rely on one or more slides in either show or one of the transitions (yes, ProShow transitions have been known to cause crashes ... sad but true. Rare too. But, if that's the case set the transitions to something mundane ... like a fade and try again).

If the crash occurs at any of those stages, the chances are that you've found one or more of the culprits responsible for the crash. You may not have identified the actual problem but at least you will have an idea as to what may be the cause.

Good luck.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSP - General Discussion