PSP - 64 bit version??

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

PSP - 64 bit version??

Postby Eddie2001 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to PSP and while it is a good program, it is slow as a snail when importing videos and/or rendering a show. A couple of years ago when I called Photodex about an issue with PSG I asked them when they would be doing a 64 bit version - answer was "soon".

Any ideas if or when they will do so? Right now PSP is rendering a show that is about 1 1/2 hours long, and it is snailing along at .79x speed while rendering. I assume this is account it is only a 32 bit program.

It just seems like PSP is getting rather antiquated with a lack of a 64 bit program....I do like how it works for building shows, but not for rendering and burning Blu-Rays.

Sometimes PSP will just lock up - screen turns white and "not responding" shows in the window.

Computer here is a i&-920 with 12 gig ram, not overclocked. Win 7 64 bit.

Thanks!

Eddie

Re: PSP - 64 bit version??

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Well, for what it's worth, the best answer we have gotten is also "soon" or "maybe". On the other hand, video is very computation intensive. My 64 bit Sony Vegas is not all that fast either!!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:47 pm

PSP isn't antiquated by any means. Just because it's not a 64-bit implementation doesn't make it antiquated either ... just behind the power curve. The term "soon," in Photodex terms can mean just about anything since it's a "relative" term. Don't hold your breath for a 64-bit implementation tho ... it could be the next release or the one after that or the one after that or ... (you get the idea). We waited for many years after requesting captions that could bit behind a layer ... years.

Going 64-bit means that all kinds of stuff done behind the scenes must also be updated to 64-bit ... that includes all video output. ProShow has never been fast when it comes to creating a video ... it's not necessarily a result of being a 32-bit implementation. Maybe a 64-bit implementation could improve export to a video output ... maybe. One big change would be the memory limitation ... right now, some of us are very adept at working at the edge of ProShow's memory limitations ... and can quickly run out of resources in the process. That would become extremely difficult with a 64-bit implementation.

Sometimes PSP will lock up because that's what it does ... it's still not perfect (but it's WAY better than it used to be). Certain files can get corrupted and PSP can lose track of where it's at ... and what it's doing. It's a perennial problem that is improved over earlier versions. The main file that's considered the culprit in such a case is usually the proshow.phd file ... rarely it's the proshow.cfg file ... but it can also be the "myshow".pxc (where "myshow" is the name of your slideshow) ... the pxc is roughly equivalent to a transcode file (used by nonlinear editors like Premier Pro). Each file is recreated when ProShow can't find it.

Just keep using the darned thing ... and keep hoping for the best. Hopefully we'll see some real change in the next release ... something actually deserving of major release number (instead of one that's primarily based on a marketing focus). Also, the next "release" will be soon (that is, in the next 2 or 3 or 6 or 8 or 12 months ... maybe). :D

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Eddie2001 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks for the comments! Yes, I will keep using PSP. I have tried other programs, but I keep coming back to PSP.

One of the most irritating crashes is when I publish a show as a PC.exe - if I even touch the mouse while it is 'gathering resources' it locks up the computer, screen goes white, not responding, etc. I then have to restart the program, wait while it slowly reloads the last saved show, and then try again. It doesn't always do this, just often enough to be rather annoying :).

This happened with PSG as well.

Eddie

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:15 pm

I never create .exe files - there are several reasons why they are not overly "wonderful". Basically, an exe file is just an exe front end for presenter and it has all the resources compressed in their own format in the file. It still has to calculate transitions and other complex things each time it runs. Some machines handle it OK, others not so good and it is difficult to tell which ones will be ok with the .exe file. Another issue with exe files is that many people simply will not run an exe on their computer from somewhere else (and for good reason - excellent way to get infected with "stuff"). Another issue is that the .exe only runs under windows. If you create an mp4 video file for example, not only are all the complex transitions and layers converted to one stream, but the file can be played on lots of different media (including many TV's that will take an mp4 file on a usb flash drive plugged into them direct). exe files can be useful, but I very seldom use them for shows.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Deadman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Well like the rest of us, a 64 bit version would be great. But even without it, can't find a better program to do what Proshow does. If you update your video card that helps a lot. So stand by and do the best you can until the best we have gets better..

Postby nsd3 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:54 am

When rendering a full HD video as output, I've noticed PSP7 uses all 12 cores in my CPU, but not at 100% utilisation. Creating the full HD video is roughly 1.0 - 1.05 x real time, so a 60 minute slide show takes 60 minutes or a fraction less to render. The CPU clock frequency always goes to the max, which for my rig, that's 119% because I overclock the CPU. The overall CPU utilisation however never goes above 47%. Theoretically, (assuming no other resource overhead) I should be able to get a 2X gain, if PSP7 could go full on. Now whether that's down to a 32 bit application working on a 64 bit O/S I don't know.

Steve

Return to PSP - General Discussion