VERSION 7 PUBLISH TO DVD

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

VERSION 7 PUBLISH TO DVD

Postby Martinr » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Hello - I have spent some time looking at previous posts. My predicament is that I want to change my PC to a Windows 10, i7 with Intel's 'Quick Sync'. Presently, I am still on Publisher v 5 and Windows XP. Photodex have advised me that v5 will NOT run on W10. W7 yes, but I don't wish to change to 7 or 8 and at a later time move to W10. I could choose to have dual boot (XP and W10) and stay with v5.
Qn- having previously followed the recommendations to burn a DVD from an ISO - have things changed for the better with v7? Have they now provided the necessary software / codecs to produce a quality DVD and BluRay? If that is now available and v7 is stable I would upgrade to v7.
Thanks for any advice.
Martin
CS5, Canon 70D, Canon XM2

Re: VERSION 7 PUBLISH TO DVD

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm still running V7 Producer and Windows 7 (and not about to jump on 10 even with all those annoying pop-ups telling me to upgrade) so I can't answer most of the question, but one comment I do want to make to clear up one point is about the ISO. An ISO is an image of the file system for the DVD (or CD - ISO files can work for all sorts of things). Once you get to the ISO, you are past the codec issues etc. That means that the files that proshow would burn to the DVD (at least the video files) will be exactly the same whether you use the ISO route or burn direct. I have always preferred to use Imgburn with an ISO for a number of reasons - it makes it easy to retry if there is a problem with the burn, you have more options as far as error checking and burn speed AND, when someone decides they want a copy of the DVD (or yours mysteriously vanishes in a stack of papers), it is a simple matter to create/re-create another DVD. That is why I always go the ISO route (and I often include the original images and other appropriate stuff in an /EXTRAS folder on the DVD for folks if they want them.

I should add that I have, a number of times, also used Imgburn to create an ISO from a CD (like an install CD for some software) so when that vanishes somewhere, I can re-create the install CD/DVD and I have a copy of it backed up on my hard drive (as well as my server).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Martinr » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Mikey - many thanks for your helpful reply.
I have followed your advice from my first using ProShow. I'm just a little confused - you said 'That means that the files that proshow would burn to the DVD (at least the video files) will be exactly the same whether you use the ISO route or burn direct.' Do you mean that?
I was hoping that v7 would now be capable of producing 'good' quality DVD / BluRay discs without the need to rely on the ISO route for 'good' quality. Notwithstanding, the other benefits of using an ISO for checking and being able to produce one or more copies. I apologise if I am misunderstanding your reply.
Regards,
CS5, Canon 70D, Canon XM2

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 pm

You are correct. The ISO file is simply an image of the disk - and it works both ways - you can create an ISO and burn to disk or create an ISO from a disk. There are even several utilities out there (such as the free VLC player) that will mount and play an ISO on your computer as if it were an actual DVD. A number of utilities such as WinRAR etc. are able to open ISO files. If you extract the video files from the ISO file and compare them to a disk you burned, they should be the same. An ISO file is simply an "intermediate" container for what is going to be written to the DVD. Some people have reported better results going the ISO route and burning with Imgburn, but that is typically because Imgburn allows better control of the burn speed and error checking (verify after write if you check the box) and burn speed can affect the playback if the player is marginal on being able to read the data fast enough from the disk. Think of an ISO as a "zip file for a disk image"

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

ProShow Hall of Fame

Windows 10 Upgrade

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:29 am

gpsmikey wrote:I'm still running V7 Producer and Windows 7 (and not about to jump on 10 even with all those annoying pop-ups telling me to upgrade)

Mikey,
Like you, I was tired of the Windows 10 Upgrade message. In case you might have missed it, the answer is fairly simple. Uninstall Update for Windows KB3035583. This will stop the annoying messages. Also set that update to hide so that it is not automatically reinstalled on the next Windows Update that you perform.

Here is a an article that takes you through additional steps if the uninstall is not successful.
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/remove- ... ification/

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:11 am

Thanks Vernon - interesting reading all those comments from the user community !! I am running into the same "rent ware" issue with Adobe. I was all set to purchase the update to Audition (I have Audition 3), but they only have the "subscription" version now - same thing they are doing with Photoshop etc. That means those are the latest versions that will be on my computer. I bought, Photoshop CS, CS2, CS5 and CS6, but no more if they are going to the "ransom ware" model. If they would offer a version that doesn't after a year or so but stayed functional, I would go for that, but this "you will pay for us to give you what we know what you want ... even if you don't want it" routine doesn't work for me. Maybe in the corporate world with lots of machines, the big companies are willing to spring for it, but us retired folks can't afford to be continuously paying to use their software. There was a big flap over in the Sony Vegas forums recently where it is rumored that there will be no Vegas Pro 14. One of the comments from folks was that it was because nobody was buying the updates. OK, so I have not bought the update for a couple of versions ... why? because the "new version" comes out with all these added features, but the old bugs from 2 or 3 versions back that causes crashes are still there and have not been fixed. Fix the documented, known major bugs then come out with the new version and you will find more people purchasing the updates. So far, Photodex has been doing pretty good - the old version still works, but the new version has some new features and costs money if you are past your year of updates. OK, so not everybody is happy that way, but it sure beats the $50/month Adobe wants for "updates" and if you don't pay, it quits working completely!!!

mikey

Return to PSP - General Discussion