Self-Duplicating Files

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Self-Duplicating Files

Postby pinger » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:10 pm

I've had a recurring problem from time to time on various shows and I need some input to find how to solve it.....

If I have a show under construction (Producer 7) and have, say 50 graphics or photos thereon, something is causing those files to duplicate themselves...sometimes in multiple occasions. The first time I end up with two of each and now have 100. If it occurs again...then I have 150.....etc. Taking up a lot of disc space if I don't address...and a lot of time deleting if I do.

I'm trying to determine if this is being caused by Proshow (in which case it's happening to others as well), by Windows 7, or by my system for some reason.

Questions: 1) is this happening to anyone else 2) does someone know why 3) is there a fix?

Thanks,
pinger

Re: Self-Duplicating Files

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 pm

I have not heard of anyone else with that issue (I am also running Producer 7.0.3527 on windows 7/64). The only thing I can think of that I have managed to do in the past (especially in email) is if you select a number of images for example and try to move them but only drag them in the same folder, you can end up with duplicates that way. Well, I just tried it with a test folder with 5 images in it and selecting them all and dragging to the same folder does not seem to do it, but if you have multiple images selected and do a copy/paste, that will give you that effect (I know I have managed to duplicate email messages though with select a bunch that I meant to drag to a different folder and accidentally "dropped" them in the same folder I am moving from resulting in all of them duplicated). In your case though, the only way I could duplicate it (at least in windows - I have not seen it in Producer) was to copy/paste the images to the same folder (CTRL-C/CTRL-V). Don't forget that CTRL-A will select all. Since I have not heard of this issue before and have not run into it myself, that is the best I can offer.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby tdew » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Also not something I've seen in Proshow, but it happens to me when I'm selecting a lot of pictures intending to copy or move them. Somehow, there's a false step that copies/duplicates them. If you catch it right away, you can use the Control Z to undo it, but you also lose all your selections and have to start over.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello

When you select files with a mouse with the CTRL key pressed, if you slightly move your hand you get a duplicate of the selected files.

If you use your mouse on a wood table (or wood imitation) or on a mouse pad which have not a uniform color, sometimes a move is detected even if you do not move and the diplication happens.
Chris Marie

Postby tdew » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:47 am

Of course it usually happens to me when I'm selected a LOT of photos at the same time - never when it's just a few.

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:02 pm

pinger wrote:
Questions: 1) is this happening to anyone else 2) does someone know why 3) is there a fix?

Thanks,
pinger

Answer 1: This has indeed happened to me.
Answer 2: in my case, I DON'T know why.
Answer 3: I am sure that there MUST be one, but I haven't found it.

It was with a very recent slideshow job that I experienced this very questionable behavior. My initial mindset, with this problem, was that maybe 'I' had done something I shouldn't have, to have caused what came about (even though I KNOW that I had been quite careful with the insertion of my photos). my current version is PSP7, and I never had anything like this to happen with either PSP5 or PSP6.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Return to PSP - General Discussion