Sorting slide styles

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Sorting slide styles

Postby nsd3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:54 am

Could anyone tell me whether PSP7 allows you to sort the slide styles by the number of initial layers (images) required for the style itself? I'm still using PSP6, and one of the annoying obstacles I come up against is wanting to use a set number of images for one slide, and finding a slide style that could accommodate them. it would be great if you could just sort by layers, much better than scrolling endlessly through 100s of styles.

Failing that, has anyone come up with a slide style spreadsheet - Name of style, description, no. of layers? At least I could sort that!

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Sorting slide styles

Postby heckydog » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:25 am

You can make that selection right above your list of styles. It doesn't sort them, but you can view just the ones with the number of layers you need.

In that same area you can also narrow down the selection by aspect ratio and/or category.

Joe

Postby nsd3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:49 am

Well fancy that! I'd never even noticed that feature before, and it's been staring me right in the face. Many thanks Joe for pointing the obvious. Appreciated.

Steve

Esteemed Member

Postby JBD » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:30 am

Never saw that Joe. Been going nuts for at least a year!!! Thanks a BUNCH!!!!!!

Postby tdew » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:55 am

I've made some of my own categories, because number of Pictures and number of layers doesn't always mean the same thing. Many styles include extra layers, but when I have three pictures that fit together, I want to see the styles I have that would make use of all of them.

Postby cherub » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:15 pm

tdew wrote:I've made some of my own categories, because number of Pictures and number of layers doesn't always mean the same thing. Many styles include extra layers, but when I have three pictures that fit together, I want to see the styles I have that would make use of all of them.

Actually, it does mean the same thing.
The number of layers in the description of a style (as shown above in Joe's picture) refers ONLY to the number of different photos that the user needs to insert in that particular slide style.
It does not include any of the extra layers that are needed for graphic purposes: duplicated photos, masks, adjustment layers, graphic files etc.

Postby tdew » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi Mona,
I've just gone through my list of 2 layers and though you are right that MOST of them do use two photos, there are a number of styles that don't actually display both pictures. For example, if one is used for the background and is blurred beyond recognition, that's not what I'm looking for if I want to show two pictures.

I could list the ones that don't conform, but I'd rather not. I'll just say that there are styles from a good number of different developers in the list.

I am happy to learn that the number of layers usually conforms to the number of pictures, because I thought the difference was even more frequent.

Postby cherub » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:01 pm

There is a good reason to use a second photo for the background layer of a slide, instead of simply duplicating the main photo.
This allows you, the user, to replace the background with anything that you want: a designed background, a video background, etc, without automatically replacing also the main photo.
But, in this case, you are right. Producer is a machine and doesn't know which is which, so it will count 2 different layers, when only one is relevant.

Return to PSP - General Discussion