saved file called ProShowSlideshow

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

saved file called ProShowSlideshow

Postby BAD » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm a longtime user of PSG and the last few years PSP. I have some time and I'm been making some of my travel slideshows to catch up. I just finished a show about last years Feb trip to Florida. My workflow always includes Saving my active file a lot while working on it. So I spent a couple of days editing in some "Slide Styles" into my final product. Often saving the active file. I was happy with the outcome and I set up a menu and burned a Blu-ray DVD. I closed PSP before I looked at the DVD. I saw a couple of small changes when I viewed the DVD. I wasn't planning on burning another disc but I though I would change a couple of things on my file.

I opened PSP and called up my recent file. It won't open. I look at the file in File Explorer and I see a video file not my regular slide show. So all the work I had done over two days was gone. My question is I don't understand how the saved file suddenly had this new format. My original file was 2014FLTrip_psdat and the new file is called ProShowSlideshow.

Have any of you had this happen. I assume I must have somehow done this, but I don't know how I did it. I'm not going to try and recreate my show. I'm just happy I have a DVD and an Image file. So I can make another copy if necessary.

Thanks for any suggestion or comments so I don't do this again.
Barbara
PSP 7/PSE14/Dell XPS 8900\Canon Rebel XSi Sony DSC-HX50V

Re: saved file called ProShowSlideshow

Postby cherub » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi Barbara,

The fact that you couldn't open your "recent show" is a bit of a problem, but it can be solved.

But, in the rest of your description there are some issues that make me wonder.

When you look for the show on your computer, with File Explorer, you should always look for a single file with the extension psh
That is, you should look for something called "Florida.psh" or whatever you called the show, and with the extension psh.

Do you see extension of files on your computer in general?
For example,when you look at pictures, do you see that these files have the extension jpg ?
Something named IMG12345.jpg or similar. Do you see this ?

psdata is not a file name. It is the name of a folder, in which ProShow saves the files, AFTER the creation of the DVD. And that folder does indeed contain the video file of your show, and some other things.
So, I don't think that this is how you called your original show. You are making some kind of confusion here.

Try to locate your original psh file, as I said before, and try to open it. That psh file is indeed a ProShow Slideshow.

Valued Member

Postby BAD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks for your comments. I know I didn't explain my issue very well. I do know what a .psh extension is. And I know photos can be .jpgs. I went into look at a recently completed show and it has name.psh. The file that had a psh in my Florida show had an extension of M2TS and has a long name. Not FL.psh. I keep my projects in a folder and the FL folder shows the psh. as ProShow Slideshow.psh not 2014FLTrip.psh. I tried to open a .psh and .bak and the .M2TS. All crashed PSP 7. I'm giving up and plan to just be more careful. At least I have a DVD and .ISO of the FL file. I think somehow the file was corrupted. I do appreciate your help. And after reinstall my PSP 7 is working again.
Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:46 pm

I think you are missing the point and some understanding. A .psh file is the source for your show and is just a text file (you can open it in notepad or some other text editor and see the lines of information telling proshow what to do and which files to use). A M2TS is a video format (output from Proshow or a camera or ??). Other common video formats are .mpeg, .mp4 etc.(there is also the .px file which is a special format that presenter can play and is what gets uploaded to the Photodex sharing site if you use that). As Mona indicated, the "psdata" is a folder that gets created if it does not exist during the creation of a video output (or when creating a DVD for example). Do a search of your disk for all the .psh files and see if you find the one you are looking for. By default Windows "helps" you by "hiding extensions of known file types" - unfortunately, that can cause real problems since windows only determines what the file type is by the extension - if you have a binary file for example, but change the extension to .txt, windows thinks it is a text file. Where this often causes problems is where multiple programs can have the same extension for completely different file types - one classic that bites people is a .pst file - that is a template file for Proshow. It is also the extension for the container file for all your email in Outlook - depending on which program was installed last, windows may indicate the file type with the icons wrong. One of the first things I always do when I install windows is to go into the file options and turn OFF that stupid "hide extensions for known file types" so I can see the extensions. Makes finding things easier. In Win 7, click on the start icon (lower left corner). In the box "search programs and files", enter "*.psh" (without the quotes)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby BAD » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks . Your comments are Helped me understand the file system better. I did search for my .psh file. I found the file but it was two days old. Didn't have all my slide styles on it. Do appreciate your help. I'm going on a travel trip and look forward to putting that show together when I get back in six weeks.
Barbara

Return to PSP - General Discussion