New SSD drive and overheating while rendering

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

New SSD drive and overheating while rendering

Postby RoseW » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 am

Previous to the SSD and cloning of original drive C: the only software operation that would have the temperature warning come up was in some Adobe Lightroom raw processing operations. Now that Lightroom updated to version 6 there is more heat rise reporting. I conclude that certain coding has changed and discussing the issue with the builder resulted in his comment that it would not be good to have 70'F existing for extended amounts of time.

Last night rendered a mpg4 with the largest resolution size for a 4.25 min show. This routine has been done for 8 previous small shows pre SSD drive. This time the heat warning appeared at the 2 min mark. I cannot get out of that operation as I do in Lightroom so repeated pop up warnings displayed for the remainder.
I have rendered 20 and 30 minute shows in the past using 7200 WD hard drives for regular mpg or avi which takes a considerable amount of time and no heat build up. At this time, if I did such a large task certainly the advice to not run in this hot situation for an extended time could not be followed.

My question is directed to anyone using an SSD main drive. Its not a Producer specific question
Would it be recommended to add to or replace the current fan setup- an extra cooling device set up? The desktop was built based on a gaming design so extra fans in place.
The machine data:
3.60 gigahertz AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core
384 kilobyte primary memory cache
8192 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
Canon 6D,7D,
Lightroom & Photoshop Classic CC, Producer 6, Gold 6
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Re: New SSD drive and overheating while rendering

Postby heckydog » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 am

The SSD has no moving parts so it generates very little heat no matter how much it's being used.

You need to look at either your CPU cooling fan or GPU cooling fans. One or the other may have died or have an obstruction stopping it.

Go here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy and download the free Speccy information tool. Run your programs with Speccy open and it will tell you what's overheating since it shows specs in real time.

Here's an example I just did of my PC:

Two other possibilities are the fan in your power supply or restricted airflow in your case. But those are not the likely culprits.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:56 am

Joe is correct. If you have pets, first suspect is hair/dust blocking the fans. Any time I build a machine, I put in more cooling that the normal - bigger fan and cooling fins on the cpu etc. You don't indicate just what the "overtemp" alarm pertains to so it is tough to narrow it down. The SSD does produce heat, but I'm not sure just how much (you could check the specs from the manufacturer - if it says 35watts for example, almost all of that will be in the form of heat). First check though would be for hair/dust blocking the cooling fins. Some cases also have a filter under the front cover where the air is sucked in - make sure that is not blocked with dust/hair too. Make sure all the fans are running that should be running. What you may be running into is the fact that the cpu can get data faster from the SSD and as such the rendering speed goes up (as does the heat production).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Re: What you may be running into is the fact that the cpu can get data faster from the SSD and as such the rendering speed goes up (as does the heat production).

I'm thinking this is likely the underlying feature.
The case interior is regularly blasted with canned air specific for computers.
On a previous video card I didn't realize there was a fan underneath, hidden from obvious view and I neglected to spray or check that area. If the case is put on its side then that fan was visible. So a very dusty fan quit and that video card died. Now I check everywhere <grin>
I have been running a utility that came with the box which had a section that metered the fan speed.
At any rate, when I described the situation today and the potential for a long period of time for putting a video into an mpg or avi the local builder concluded a third party cooling unit for the CPU which is the unit that is doing the heat buildup. I didn't look at the read out in the hidden icons task bar area to see if it fluctuated to 70 and then dropped. The pop up message just kept appearing. It likely was hovering in this area rather than climbing but its nerve wracking having that warning pop up.
I had a large project on the 'to do list' but I'll hold off on that until this extra cooling unit is installed.

Of course, I also inquired 'and what if that is not enough?'....and its put in the water cooling feature which the case design has provision. Can you imagine?

I just hadn't read anyone specifically mentioning that SSD efficiency can play havoc with the cpu
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:27 am

I had a similar issue with an overheating CPU chip. The heat sink for the CPU (all those fins) became jammed with dust. Just cleaning the fan or blowing canned air into the case is not enough. You must turn the unit off, open the cover and work hard (and close) at blowing out the dust (not too close that you are spaying liquid). The fan will want to spin as you are blowing the air, so you will have to do some some fan holding and manipulation as you clean the fins. The bracket will also get in the way, but you will have to find positions to work around it. Made a big difference for me.

Jeff

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:35 pm

I actually have an air hose run up from my compressor downstairs :twisted: (really). I am careful with the compressed air and blowing the stuff out, but those silly cans of stuff have gotten so expensive since they had to change the formula with all the idiots sniffing it (that was what they told us at Costco and I have heard several other news reports of the issue. Sigh.) The other thing I do when I build a system up is put a much larger cooling assembly on the CPU than what comes with it in the box. The cooling assembly on my CPU is about 5 inches square by two inches thick with a fan mounted directly on the fin assembly. The fan does run faster on hot days (it is 87 degrees here in my computer room right now), but the cpu stays cool even when rendering video or slideshows.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby heckydog » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:30 pm

RoseW wrote: . . .

Of course, I also inquired 'and what if that is not enough?'....and its put in the water cooling feature which the case design has provision. Can you imagine?

I just hadn't read anyone specifically mentioning that SSD efficiency can play havoc with the cpu

Liquid cooling is usually only needed in extreme cases, gaming PC's with multiple GPU's and seriously overclocked CPU's being one instance. You may think you're taxing your system heavily but it doesn't appear that way based on what you say you're trying to render. I've done some serious benchmark tests designed to stress the CPU, RAM, and GPU and never saw a need to upgrade to a water cooled system.

I also did some searching on the subject of the SSD playing havoc with the CPU and couldn't find anything. If that was the case then you'd think everyone with an SSD would be having overheating issues.

Hope you report back on the results, I'd be very curious to see what the outcome is.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Quick note about blowing out the dust: One day, I took my computer into the basement and used a vacuum on blow rather than suck. This worked beautifully, of course, except that I ended up feeling for several days after as if I were coming down with the chest cold of the century. I deserved it. Fair warning: Either do it outside in the summer or wear a face mask!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:45 am

Summarized Outcome of the Heat rising.
1. In discussion with the repair service my reporting that the heat sensor would reach the set temp and then drop he concluded the extra cooling wasn't needed.
2. Adobe Lightroom v6 had heat signal and slow adjustment response which got worse and yesterday it went into non responsive.
3. The solution was to turn off graphic acceleration. Bingo! everything operated smoothly thereafter plus no heat build up.

Although there are moments while compiling a video the heat temp doesn't stay for any length of time so I'm not obsessing over it all.

So ends the heat issue.

Rose
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Sounds good. I have read a fair amount about Lightroom 6 and the graphics acceleration. The most common comments are 1) it only works for the Develop module right now anyway and 2) it ain't ready for prime time and requires a fairly new card to support the requirements. Not a lot of favorable comments at this time for the Lightroom issue.

mikey

Valued Member

Postby RoseW » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:25 pm

I attributed the changes as 'part of Lightroom 6'....slow brushing, slow evidence of adjustment and the heat rising while using the brush. Certainly the same graphics was fine with v5.7
THEN Microsoft did more massive updates which I suspect are part of the 'prep for the upcoming Win10 which I decided to do. This combined with AMD popping up the announcement that new drivers are available put V6 over the edge I'm thinking.
Fortunately Proshow V6 just kept motoring on.
I'm holding off on Proshow V7 until after this Win10 upgrade.

FYI....the temp drop was 20 degrees having the acceleration factor turned off AND I purposely did a lot of brushing without stopping just to test it out. The temp stayed at 50 versus rising steadily to 70 or 71.
Canon 6D,7D,
Windows 10 pro
Epson Projector

Return to PSP - General Discussion