Rendering vs Memory Loss

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Rendering vs Memory Loss

Postby EJAB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:47 pm

I raise this problem again,only to ask a couple of Questions !! I am currently producing a show that I'm expecting will give me trouble,, and I say that only because I have been there before.
This show consists of a Total 1338 slides (give or take a Dozen) made up of 1302 Photographs 300 of which are multi layered,, 36 Video Clips (mov Format) and with an unmentionable amount of various additional Styles. Now if this goes all the way through rendering,, I promise not to have another go at Proshow for Lack of 64bit ! and will post all future requests with :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ( When completed this Show will go onto a USB stick).

Now my Number one question is,,, Once having completed a Marathon like this,, Can it be Rendered in Two halves ?? e.g. 480 + in one half the rest to follow ??. Without doing it in Two separate shows... Now,, I'm guessing your answers will be NO,,, but I'm also hoping ,,Yes or Maybe,, but only because my Minds Eye say's why not.

My Number Two Question is,,, With Video clips,, most of older cameras use Mov format which find there own way into the timeline along with all other photographs in order i.e. date taken etc,, etc. Not so with AVCHD !! (I did bring this up with Panasonic some time ago,, but after some debate, was told "Quote' Go you forth and multiply) (or words to that effect) :oops: :twisted: :( to get this format to open correctly you need to use producers,,,, Windows - View Options - File List - Sort by - Date Modified. (If anyone else has a simple way PLEASE - PLEASE) Once in the Slide List !! It becomes a Pain in the Butt finding them. Now I know you can Flag them once in,,, and when you place them in the File List they have an icon to let you know what program opens them,, that's the start and close to not being able to see them other than a different number or (img or mov). Sooo, IS there any way (other than Renaming which throws a cat among the Pigeons) of being able to identify these through Microsoft or whatever.

Its like War and Peace this post. AND only Two Questions !! (I Hate getting Old).

Come on Dale,,, Mikey,,, Luke,,, Jeep,,, Barbara with an A and R. ANYONE.????

Warmest Regards

EJAB (aka John Byron Melbourne Australia)

PS. If anyone one Answers with just Two words,,,, NO and NO,,, I will spit the ( I think Pacifier in the US not sure elsewhere)

Re: Rendering vs Memory Loss

Postby cherub » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:05 am

So, you don't want to hear from me :(
Okay, then just one NO to one of your questions. :D :D

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:29 am

John, my inclination is to reply in a similar fashion to Mona. Instead, I'll reply without any yes or no, instead asking: Why would you create a slide show that's so gigantic? Figuring even a small average of 3 seconds per slide, those 1338 slides calculate out to more than an hour, but it's probably even longer than that. You're plowing a field with a teaspoon. :lol:

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:02 am

If you are creating a standard definition show there is a possibility it will render. If you have access to a non-linear editing (NLE) program (Premiere Elements, etc.) you can break your show into segments that will render and then merge them seamlessly in the NLE.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:12 am

It's hard to keep anyone's attention in one of these types of shows past 10 or 15 minutes. Judicious use of effects can reset the visual and the attention span, particularly if you have a compelling story to tell and good content. But, it's not easy. As Barbara said, it's over an hour (somewhere closer to something approaching 1.5 hours). That's a hefty show.

As for rendering ... that's determined at the moment you tell the program to begin rendering your show. Once begun you don't change it (not with the options we ordinary folk have access to) ... so, if you begin at 480 you stay at 480. You might want to consider a project composed of multiple shows ... and treat each differently as necessary. You can then place them all in a video editor and finalize your show there.

As for your 2nd question ... beats me. Renaming works (just like for images)... a PITA. So, whatever you choose to do ... have fun. You know, if you "collect" the files, they're placed in Audio, Images, and Video. That can make it easier ... so, in Explorer, just separate them as desired. In Explorer, you can right click on the column headers and get more options (like "frame rate", "bit rate","type", etc) to help you locate the video files.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:21 am

Not sure I understand the issue with AVCHD (I don't have any of them to play with), but I hear you as far as video clips ending up named similar to the images. That doesn't cause me an issue because I rename all images as the come off the memory cards to a new name that reflects time, date and which camera shot it - in my case, I start the image with "DC_150523_" for example that would indicate Digital Camera, 2015, May (05), 23. What you might want to consider doing is take the video clips and add a prefix onto the front of them so they start with "VID_" for example. That would work even if you didn't normally rename images from the camera (like P8917.jpg or whatever your camera kicks out). There are a number of utilities out there that can "bulk rename" files. Often they support using the original file name in the renaming so it would be something like the new name being "VID_n$" or whatever the token is for the original file name. I am going to have to give this some more thought in the future because my new camera (Nikon D810) apparently does a pretty good job with video ... need to finish reading the book on how to use it :twisted: (in the past, when I used any video clips, I usually ran them through Sony Vegas first and edited them so I had a different name for the video anyway).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:40 am

Mikey, if you haven't tried it, download Bulk Rename. It's easy, down-to-earth, and powerful. A lot of folks who use it are happy campers. Me too.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:22 am

Bulk Renamer was one of the ones I was thinking of, but could not remember the name (senior citizen thing again). I use a different utility (Downloader Pro) that I purchased - it downloads the images from the memory cards, renames the files according to various criteria (date/timestamp, camera model etc.) as well as geotagging the images if I have a GPS track covering the times of the images in the specified directory. Works quite well, but not what everybody needs. (I had played with bulk renamer in the past, but it didn't do what I needed).

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:49 am

gpsmikey wrote:(I had played with bulk renamer in the past, but it didn't do what I needed).

With all you're looking to do, I don't doubt it can't do what you need! For normal prefixes and suffixes and getting rid of useless parts, it works beautifully. When packaging graphics with styles and templates, it's lovely for when I keep changing my mind about names.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:40 am

Yep, but it doesn't support grabbing the camera make/model from the EXIF and substituting a different string ("_Jan", "_mikey" etc.) and it didn't support the geotagging that I like to use when I am out and about (adds the location information to the image in the GPS field of the EXIF data). Yeah, I know - I'm "different" :twisted:

mikey

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:02 am

gpsmikey wrote:Yeah, I know - I'm "different" :twisted:

Nah. You're just compulsive in the way of an engineer. :D

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:59 pm

BarbaraC wrote:
gpsmikey wrote:Yeah, I know - I'm "different" :twisted:

Nah. You're just compulsive in the way of an engineer. :D

Barbara

There is that ... :D

mikey

Postby EJAB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Morning all. Firstly,, Mona, So sorry It was an oversight not to include you. Yep I know ,,, this is a very long show. Its the norm for me! People go overseas for a couple of weeks,, a Month or
even six weeks,, come back with a couple of Thousand Photographs and high expectations,, these are in some cases part of their life History,, boy an overseas trip! for others just a record of where they have been. I see it as my job to make sure that I make the memories as entertaining as possible. I do this as a Hobby only, and I go way back with this program (early Version 3 point something I think) and Yes 98% of shows are all over Six or Seven Hundred, and yes I have lost count of how many I have done,, well over the hundred I guess.
So now back to the Two Questions... NO and NO... seem to be the underlying response. That's really what I expected,, all of your suggestions have been tried over the years and all are sound and work. These Two were an effort to make life a little easier for me,, if I don't ask I wont learn and from your combined response I have learned something new, and I thank you all.
Love your work people.

In closing,,, DALE,,, an update on Ver 7 how have you found it ?

Kind Regards

EJAB (aka John Byron Melbourne Australia.)

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:58 am

John,

You might look here: http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23378&start=30

My impression is that v7 should be something like v5.8 or so (given that v6 was again, more marketing than actual technical change). Version 5, 6, and 7 have very little change between them. If you have a need for captions that aren't always on top get v6 (or v7). If you have a lack of your own music or you want a decent library of royalty free music without paying an arm and a leg ... v7 is for you. Otherwise, if you're using v5 or v6 well now, I'm not sure there's a compelling reason yet to upgrade.

CAVEATE.... with all new releases come a whole slew of bug fixes and tweaks. V7 is good for that (along with some discussion as to some of the output stuff as well as some import concerns). I'd upgrade for the bug fixes... but that's just me. Then, I'd just get used to the upgrade as a matter of course ... and be disimpressed with the numbering scheme because it's simply non-indicative of the true scope of change (it's been used as a marketing scheme to bring new users or to get upgraders to upgrade .... quite simply tho, a major number change rationale seems more spin than anything else)... But, that's just my opinion...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:49 am

Bringing it on down to only the notable feature additions:

Version 5: Tilt
Version 6: Text Layers
Version 7: Music

The addition of music in v.7 has its flaws, one of them being that you can't bring it into a sound editor to cut and splice or change it in any other way. Also, there are a number of sources for royalty-free music that doesn't cost a penny or that costs very, very little. If you aren't aware of all of them, you'll find a healthy selection in the "Sound" section of Slideshow Resources (If you find any dead links, please let me know!)

Barbara

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion