Documentary Slideshows

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Documentary Slideshows

Postby Snocrash » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm new around here, and I tried out a ProShow Producer trial about a month back to create a personal slideshow for my family. I was quite impressed with what you could do, and how easy it was to create a professional looking product. I used to create short films, for fun, back in my younger days, and it brought back memories from those times :)

Anyway, I'm about to purchase v7 and want to embark on a more ambitious project, and create a documentary style movie. Something like you would see on the History channel, where they pan through or zoom in on photos while narrating on the topic... and possibly do more complex things, like adding motion to photographs by using a parallax-like effect. So I was wondering if anyone here has worked on something similar in the past, where an actual story is being told with the slideshow, either through text or narration?

I would love to watch some shows or hear about your tips and tricks for this type of project! I tried doing a few searches and nothing came up, and so I thought someone might be able to point me to a few relevant threads or video links. Thanks!

Re: Documentary Slideshows

Postby EJAB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:38 am

Snocrash wrote:I'm new around here, and I tried out a ProShow Producer trial about a month back to create a personal slideshow for my family. I was quite impressed with what you could do, and how easy it was to create a professional looking product. I used to create short films, for fun, back in my younger days, and it brought back memories from those times :)

Anyway, I'm about to purchase v7 and want to embark on a more ambitious project, and create a documentary style movie. Something like you would see on the History channel, where they pan through or zoom in on photos while narrating on the topic... and possibly do more complex things, like adding motion to photographs by using a parallax-like effect. So I was wondering if anyone here has worked on something similar in the past, where an actual story is being told with the slideshow, either through text or narration?

I would love to watch some shows or hear about your tips and tricks for this type of project! I tried doing a few searches and nothing came up, and so I thought someone might be able to point me to a few relevant threads or video links. Thanks!

Hi Snocrash,,, Welcome to our Humm,, large family. Now I'm No expert !! (I'm just a driver but I'm suggesting just a little above average perhaps) . Some time ago I put together a promo DVD trying to explain to folk the difference between the various Aspect Ratios of Camera's and the resulting viewing experience when played on your various TV screens, e.g. 4.3 - 3.2 - 16.9 together with resolution (i.e. Size). How I did it was as follows,,, I prepared the Slides one at a time using Pan Zoom and or Style packs,,, Now the length of the slide depends on the dialog you intend delivering. In my case I recorded ON the Slide not the timeline as I had soft music on the Timeline. If I can find a copy I will post a link to youtube! but at my age and having 6000GB of hard drive ,,, its like going to Cosco?? coming out and not knowing where you parked you car.

Can anyone else help Snocrash ???

Regards

EJAB (aka John Byron Melbourne Australia)

Postby heckydog » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:21 am

One person whose work work I have always admired is Peter Frampton. He passed away a number of years ago but his ProShow gallery is still online. I still keep links to his shows because his techniques were advanced beyond anything I could ever hope to do.

As far as I know, he was just a guy who liked to make slide shows. But he had a great technique for narrating his shows and picking the right music. As good as any professional I've ever listened to.

Here's a link to one I like quite a bit. http://www.photodex.com/share/peterframpton/989k2mg4

You could learn a lot from watching some of his shows. Doing the parallax type effects would require doing some editing in a photo editor like Photoshop but would be relatively easy to render in PSP. Of course there are other very talented, advanced users of PSP and perhaps some other forum members will add to my suggestion.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:59 am

Hello

I first found you question very strange.

In France most of the shows that we can see on forums or in meeting are documentary type.

You can find some links here in PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback section. But here there are also rather personnal shows.

Jeep, who often post here, has a beautiful documenttary here http://jeeep.breizhbleu.com/documents/biodiversit.html

you also can find some there (but in french) http://www.pamglobe.1cd1.com/index.php/videos
Chris Marie

Postby EJAB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:55 am

Hi Snocrash Further to my earlier response,,, Please find (I Hope) the link to youtube as mentioned.

https://youtu.be/HqNTJZMtgPA

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:20 am

Greetings and welcome !! One book you might want to check out is "How to shoot video that doesn't suck" ( http://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Video-That- ... 0761163239 ). The voice over can really ruin your project if it sounds bad - taking the time to get your voice segments clean (both acoustically as well as the speech itself) will make or break the project ( "er, um, I mean we went over there" just doesn't make it! :twisted: ) One of the things that made Peter Frampton's shows so good was he had the perfect voice for the show and did a wonderful job with his story and narration.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Snocrash » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:35 am

Thank you everyone for the feedback, tips and links! I will take a look at the video links tonight :D

Esteemed Member

Postby des.tom » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 am

Have a look at some of Jeffrey Coit's shows - http://www.photodex.com/share/Jeffery/cmg2pmg4. He hasn't posted for some time but his documentary shows, eg National Trust properties, are well worth viewing.

Des

Return to PSP - General Discussion