Publish to DVD

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Publish to DVD

Postby georgeforney » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:05 pm

I am new to ProShow Producer and I used the Wizard to build a show with 259 slides. Using the Wizard was easy and very quick. However, it took a few hours to build the show. Then when I published it took about 12 hours to make the DVD. Is this normal?

Esteemed Member

Re: Publish to DVD

Postby Marie78 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 pm

Hello

Perhaps the same problem as described on that post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23412

What is your GPU benchmark ?
Last edited by Marie78 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Marie

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 pm

It should not take that long although with the new version, there seems to be some discussion as to rendering times. What many of us (me included) do is not burn direct to the DVD. Use the option to create an ISO file instead (from the menu where you select your burner, one of the options in the pull-down is to create an ISO file). Once you have the ISO file (which is an image of a DVD basically), use the free Imgburn utility to burn 1 (or more) DVD's from the ISO file. Tends to work better and allows you to separate the creation from the burn process. I should mention that there is another utility out there (FREE) called the VLC player that can play an ISO file just like it was a real DVD with a couple of minor exceptions. Makes it easy to test your show and make sure it looks right when it is rendered (that is ALWAYS where you notice something stupid like you misspelled your own name or something :evil: ) When satisfied, then use Imgburn to create your DVD(s).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby heckydog » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:20 am

When VLC player gets a little flaky trying to play an iso file I will create a virtual drive using a free utility I have called Virtual Clone Drive, available here: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Once I mount the iso file I can use PowerDVD to play the file and it plays it perfectly just as if it was a real disc in a real drive. When I'm satisfied with the performance, like Mikey, I use Imgburn to burn the actual disc. Been doing it that way for more years than I care to admit to. And not just with ProShow, but every type of editor I have.

Joe

Postby georgeforney » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Which brings up some more questions, remember I am new at this.
1. I could not find any ISO output when I clicked on Publish. I found Blu-Ray, DVD, Video File, Pro Show, You Tube, Facebook, Vimeo, and Smug Mug, but no ISO.
2. I am using Windows 7 on a Gateway Laptop. Intel Celeron CPU B820 @ 1.70 GHz RAM 8GB (7.84GB usable) 64 Bit.
3. My GPU Bench Mark is 29, which appears low in accordance with the other post. What does Benchmark indicate or measure?

Should I be using a Desktop? I put Pro Show Producer on my Desktop and without creating a show it has a Benchmark of 5.
My Desk Top has Windows 7 with AMD Phenom II X2.55 Processor 3.10 GHz, Ram is 4GB with 64 Bit. I can upgrade this to 8GB if necessary (strange, my first computer had 128K of RAM, now I am saying I can upgrade 4GB, guess I am getting old.)

Postby heckydog » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Located here, under the Burning Tab, where you see your burner(s):

You should check your benchmark without anything else running. My number varies from 245-255. I don't think anyone really knows exactly how that number is calculated. If they do, they're keeping it a secret. :wink: Since I don't know how it's figured, I can't tell you what to do to make it better but those are really low benchmarks. There's a patch you could try on your laptop, get it here: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
This may speed things up a bit. It won't work on your desktop because you need more than 4GB of RAM. But if you add RAM to your desktop you can apply the patch there too.

Right now it doesn't matter that you have a 64 bit operating system on your desktop. PSP is 32 bit. Your desktop only has 4GB of RAM so for all practical purposes you're running everything, not just PSP, as if it were 32 bit because 32 bit can only access up to 4GB of RAM anyway. If you plan on keeping your desktop for a few years, I'd get the extra 4GB of RAM if it's cheap enough. But try to match the specs of your current RAM, CAS #, timings, etc.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:48 pm

We have never gotten a detailed answer from Photodex on what the calculation is for the Benchmark score, but it appears to be heavily influenced by the graphics card in your system. With a score of 5, I think I would check to see if the system was turned on :twisted: As for the video card, both the ATI cards and Nvidia cards have worked well for folks and you don't need one of the super gamer specials either. I am currently running a Radeon HD-6850 (several years old now) and it has worked well. If you do look into a new card, some of the cards (like the one I have) were available in several versions as to what connectors were on the back - DVI, HDMI, Display Port etc. - depending on just what you needed (they can also handle multiple monitors !! ) You might want to give Photodex support a call and discuss the benchmark score with them - they have more insight into what you can change to get the best improvement for your $$

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby georgeforney » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:57 am

I downloaded VLC and Imgburn, then I am making a ISO of a 259 slide, 38 minute psh file, as I type this. It appears this will take about 6 hours. Is that an acceptable time frame or should it be much faster? I am doing this on a laptop.
I am thinking maybe if I got a decent video card for my desktop (at present it has video on the motherboard) this may help. Does this make sense?
Thanks for your help.
George

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:37 am

Hello

The best thing when you publish it to reboot the PC before, close all programs not necassary and to leave the PC work, and not use it during that time : do that before going to bed.

Before adding a video card to your desktop, verify your benchmark on it : if the desktop is old, with a non recent processor and not much RAM, you will not get much avantage.

I really saw the diffrence in publishing time when I changed my PC for a quad core (I7) with 8Go RAM (even if proshow can't use more than 3 Go)...
Chris Marie

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:26 pm

That seems very slow although I have not tried building a big show with the new version. If I get a chance, I will run one of my old shows through the new version and see how long it thinks it will take here on my system.

mikey

Return to PSP - General Discussion