Make a headwrite effect in Proshow Producer

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Re: Make a headwrite effect in Proshow Producer

Postby heckydog » Sun May 24, 2015 4:59 am

Marie78 wrote:Hello Joe

Thank you : I am going to try to find that. I have both softxares of course. I have not use Bixelangelo for a while and not much... If I cannot find the right way to do that, I will come back to you.

Here's a sample of the project I sent to the OP for approval: http://www.photodex.com/share/sticky_buns/b4kxpmg4

This was done in AE but BluffTitler uses a virtually identical method and the same results should be achievable with BT.

It's been a long time for me as well since I used Bixelangelo and I'm actually more comfortable with AE, at least for this type of effect.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:32 am

Hey joe ;-)

heckydog wrote:
Here's a sample of the project I sent to the OP for approval: http://www.photodex.com/share/sticky_buns/b4kxpmg4

This was done in AE but BluffTitler uses a virtually identical method and the same results should be achievable with BT.

It's been a long time for me as well since I used Bixelangelo and I'm actually more comfortable with AE, at least for this type of effect.

Joe

I tried with Bixelangelo and Bluffttler but I do not succeed to have letter exactely written as hand writing : the left of the letter appears before the right but for an f or a p this does not correspond to reality. I have tried to use greyscale image for Bixelangelo but it would be necessary to make the scale letter by letter and even then, I am not sure of the result...

I can have the opportunity to use the AE soft from a friend : I saw on the web that it is necessary to use the nib, which is also more work than with Caption Alive, especialy when you are not very handy with that tool...
Did you use that tool to do your example ?
Chris Marie

Postby heckydog » Tue May 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Marie78 wrote:Hey joe ;-)

I tried with Bixelangelo and Bluffttler but I do not succeed to have letter exactely written as hand writing : the left of the letter appears before the right but for an f or a p this does not correspond to reality. I have tried to use greyscale image for Bixelangelo but it would be necessary to make the scale letter by letter and even then, I am not sure of the result...

I can have the opportunity to use the AE soft from a friend : I saw on the web that it is necessary to use the nib, which is also more work than with Caption Alive, especialy when you are not very handy with that tool...
Did you use that tool to do your example ?

Actually, I did not use the Pen Tool and Stroke plugin to make that particular effect. I used the Paint Brush and an AE script called Quickdraw because the effect was 18 words long, not just a signature or title. It was easier for me to do it that way. I also used a Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet for this project. The tablet isn't required but it's a whole lot easier than using a mouse. And the tablet would probably be easier to use with the Pen tool as well.

Besides the Pen tool and the Brush tool, there is a 3rd way to do the handwriting effect in AE. I just learned about this method a few days ago, and I was lucky to have stumbled upon it. Here's a link to an example of what the 3rd method can do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/242 ... e_lamb.wmv

This doesn't require learning the Pen tool or the Brush tool. It's not quite a perfect handwriting effect but it looks really good for how easy it is. I can get you a video tutorial on how I did this, if you're interested.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Hello Joe

heckydog wrote:... I just learned about this method a few days ago, and I was lucky to have stumbled upon it. Here's a link to an example of what the 3rd method can do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/242 ... e_lamb.wmv

This doesn't require learning the Pen tool or the Brush tool. It's not quite a perfect handwriting effect but it looks really good for how easy it is. I can get you a video tutorial on how I did this, if you're interested.

Joe

If it is not loo much work for you to get that video, I will try this method. Thank tyou very much.
Chris Marie

Postby heckydog » Thu May 28, 2015 7:12 am

Marie78 wrote:Hello Joe

If it is not loo much work for you to get that video, I will try this method. Thank tyou very much.

Marie,

I am sending you a PM with a link to the tutorial file.

Joe

P.S. I will be posting the complete handwriting effect I did for chereup on Sunday, the 31st. He will be presenting his entire show to his audience on Saturday and I asked his permission to post the part I did after he premiers his show. I'll show it just to show some of the things you can do with the effect.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:18 am

Helo Joe

heckydog wrote:...I am sending you a PM with a link to the tutorial file...

Thank you very much. The tutorial seems to be clear with all needed details.

I will test that soon and come back to tell you and will also be happy to see what you did for chereup.
Chris Marie

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:15 am

Hello Joe

I tried the AE solution.

Thanks to the tutorial, I succeed to do somethings.

I have to make other tries because, depending of the font, some letters are written from the end, especially M and n.

But it is a very good solution. Thanks again for it.
Chris Marie

Postby heckydog » Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 am

Marie,

I'm glad you were able to make some progress.

When AE creates the masks sometimes it's not in the order you would like when doing the handwriting effect.

There might be a way to fix that problem. There is a script you can get for little to no cost that will reverse the path of a mask. It's available here: http://aescripts.com/reversemaskpath/

If you notice, it says Name Your Own Price. It suggests $9.99 US dollars but you can pay anywhere from $0 on up. I haven't tried this script but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I buy things on that website all the time, and I have paid as much as $40 and as little as $0 for scripts. Not all items have that option but this one does.

Basically, you would find the masks for the letter in question and apply the reversemaskpath script. I showed you how to find the masks in the tutorial. Also, you can change the start point for a mask. Just google for "set first vertex after effects" and you'll find some tutorials. These "tricks" may allow you to use any font and get the effect you're looking for.

Here's a link to the complete effect I made for Mr. Garcia (chereup). http://www.photodex.com/share/sticky_buns/6wakpmg4 This was done using the Paint tool and a different script. It might take a few seconds to start since it's a 40 second long video.

He supplied the background photo and the font he wanted to use. I did the layout and effect. He wanted the effect to be 20 seconds long for his slide show. I slowed it down by half in this sample video so the "handwriting" effect is easier to see.

Joe

Postby silverfox » Sun May 31, 2015 4:25 pm

Another option to create Handwriting is using Explaindio Software. I just created a quick example using whiteboard option ... this one with a hand and pen, you can also create without pen and hand, the possibilities are endless. Easy to use ... and fairly quick. This example took less than 5 minutes to create.

Handwriting example

https://vimeo.com/129371839

Easy Sketch Pro can also be used to create handwriting. Easy Sketch Pro is a less expensive program and you can create much the same results, but is limited in features.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Hello Silverfox
silverfox wrote:Another option to create Handwriting is using Explaindio Software. I just created a quick example using whiteboard option ... this one with a hand and pen, you can also create without pen and hand, the possibilities are endless. Easy to use ... and fairly quick. This example took less than 5 minutes to create.

Handwriting example

https://vimeo.com/129371839

Easy Sketch Pro can also be used to create handwriting. Easy Sketch Pro is a less expensive program and you can create much the same results, but is limited in features.

Thank you very much for this information. I like you example.

About Explaindio Software, I saw it once when searching on the web.
Even if it seems to be interesting, I never buy a software that I cannot test before and I do not find possibility to download an evaluation version of this software.

I know Easy sketch Pro which is sold in the same package as Captions Alive Pro about which we started this thread.
I tried it two or three years ago and liked it except that
  • the resolution is limited (no HD)
  • one of the 2 tools offers easy hand writing from a font (limited choice) and the other the possibility to use a pen or other tool but not with a font
Chris Marie

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:08 am

Hello Joe
heckydog wrote:...Just google for "set first vertex after effects" and you'll find some tutorials. These "tricks" may allow you to use any font and get the effect you're looking for.

I could modify some letters drawing with this possibility and got better results. Thanks

heckydog wrote:Here's a link to the complete effect I made for Mr. Garcia (chereup). http://www.photodex.com/share/sticky_buns/6wakpmg4 This was done using the Paint tool and a different script. It might take a few seconds to start since it's a 40 second long video.

He supplied the background photo and the font he wanted to use. I did the layout and effect. He wanted the effect to be 20 seconds long for his slide show. I slowed it down by half in this sample video so the "handwriting" effect is easier to see.

Joe

Good work. Mr Grarcia must hve appreciate it.

What font did you use ?
Chris Marie

Postby heckydog » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:42 am

Sorry about that, I should have mentioned the name of the font.

It's called CAC Champagne. I got it here: http://www.1001freefonts.com/cac_champagne.font

He was pleased with the results. I don't know the context in which it was used but oddly enough, the mystery adds to the satisfaction I get from the creative process.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:43 am

Hello Joe

Oh yes, it was mentionned in your tutorial.

Thanks again
Chris Marie

Previous

Return to PSP - General Discussion