Creating place holders for photos.

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Creating place holders for photos.

Postby goido » Wed May 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Hello, I just purchased the Vintage Style Series and I love it. I have seen in the Internet vintage styles for sale also. Here is my question. If I photograph a still life with some antiques and it the photo there is a photo frame, how do I make the photo frame a holder for whatever photo I want to input there. I know I can probably make a transparent selection in Photoshop for the photo frame but I would like to create a style so that every time I make a show the template is there for me to use with different photos.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Creating place holders for photos.

Postby cherub » Wed May 13, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The answer is in you question :D
You need to create a slide style or a template :D

You first create a slide using that background/frame, and placing an additional picture in it, as you wish. Make all the adjustments and all the motion effects that you want.
Go to layers, and mark the frame/background image as non replaceable, while the additional picture stays at the default "replaceable".
Then CREATE a style from this slide.
Because the frame/background was marked as non replaceable, it will be saved with the style. The replaceable picture will become a place holder, and ready to be "populated" with any other picture in all your future shows.

Same thing goes if you prefer to make a template from your entire show, and not just isolated slide styles.

Postby im42n8 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D

Now, before you do everything Mona said, you'll want to first create that transparent section within that photo frame (that place where the image will get placed). My understanding of your post is that you took an photo of a frame that you want to use as a photo frame within ProShow. You COULD remove the frame center using Photoshop. However, you could also use a non-destructive technique within ProShow: use a mask.

Add a solid white layer that's the same size as the area within the photo frame where you want to display your image. Create a placeholder layer beneath that layer (click on "add" in the layer stack's region and select "add placeholder"). Make that solid layer a gradient or transparent mask. The mask layer and the placeholder layer should have the same position. Usually they will also have the same position as the photo frame. That is, the center of each layer should be in the same screen location. The photo frame layer, mask layer, and the placeholder layer are now all aligned. The masked placeholder will be "cropped" by the mask (and therefore, be sized to the photo frame's center region).

Now finish up as Mona instructed ... and save the result as a style (or template).

Mona noted that you should make adjustments and motion effects as necessary. If you do make motion changes, make sure the same motion occurs for mask and placeholder (in general, that means that the center of the placeholder layer moves exactly with the mask center).

Note: when you apply the style to a blank slide, the placeholder is where you'll drop your image (drag and drop or by "select image"). If you apply that style to a slide that has an image on it, the image will get placed within the placeholder.

Good Luck! Have FUN.

-Dale

The mask will work within either the style or the template. Styles are often easier to work with.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby goido » Wed May 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Fantastic advise!!! Thank you so much! I think I will print both answers.

Return to PSP - General Discussion