e-mail an executable file

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

e-mail an executable file

Postby marychristmas » Sun May 10, 2015 11:59 am

I tried to share my shows to friends by sending through e-mail but they never receive them. In Proshow producer, I went to Edit menu, then Preferences, then Internet. Under the outgoing e-mail server, shall I create a new account name and password for Proshow use or shall I write there my account name and password of my e-mail account? (same question with regards to incomng email server).

Could anybody tell me if there are still other things to do?

I think sending shows thru e-mail is practical in case one is requested by somebody far away to make a show. Before sending the final dvd, requester can view executable files first received through e-mail so that she/he can comment on the work before burning.

Re: e-mail an executable file

Postby gpsmikey » Sun May 10, 2015 12:24 pm

In reality, sending an exe through the email is very unlikely to work for several reasons. The first (and foremost) is that almost all email servers will immediately delete any exe files - they are a HUGE security risk (and you should NEVER click on one if you get it - no matter who it claims to be from). Second, you will find that most exe files are too big to email (most servers limit you to either 10 or 20 meg file sizes). If your friends have a PC, the easiest way is to set up an account on the Photodex sharing site (free) and share your show there (you can set permissions so only they can see them) - the first time they go to view a show, they will be asked to install the free "Presenter" (it is safe) from Photodex. You can also render to a video format and upload to something like YouTube or one of the other sites then send them the link. Another option for a large file is to use something like the free version of dropbox - you can upload a video (or other file) to there and they can download it when you send them the link. Those are the most common options (I usually use dropbox if I want to send someone a large file). Dropbox (or other transfer utilities like it) have another option - you can render your show to an ISO file instead of burning to a DVD then someone on the other side of the world can download that ISO and burn a DVD from it that is an exact copy of the DVD you create on your machine.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 am

What many of us use is YouTube, setting the video to Unlisted, which means it can't be found by anyone who doesn't have the direct link (which you'd send via email).

I think that's what Mikey was referring to but forgot to mention the "Unlisted" designation for keeping it from being indexed by YouTube and therefore viewable by anyone. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:09 am

Hello

It is also possible to use vimeo with a password or to send a file with wetransfer.
Chris Marie

Postby marychristmas » Wed May 13, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks for all the replies!

Return to PSP - General Discussion