Adding multiple sounds.

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

Adding multiple sounds.

Postby john54 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:49 am

Hello everyone!
What I know is I can add background sound to my slideshow plus one additional sound to single slide.

When I try to add another one I receive the message: "The target slide already has existing sound......" so to add multiple sounds to single slide I have to convert first in PSP mp3 file to mp4.Is maybe another,easier way I don't know about?

Re: Adding multiple sounds.

Postby heckydog » Sun May 10, 2015 4:55 am

MP4 is a video format so you can't convert mp3 to mp4. If you want to add multiple audio tracks for a single slide you could edit the tracks in a program like Audacity. Then save the output as a new single mp3 file.

Postby debngar » Sun May 10, 2015 5:39 am

I can't remember if this works but you could try inserting the second sound in the next slide, then offsetting it to play over the previous slide. That kind of thing works with soundtracks but not sure if it works with sound insertion in slides.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:44 am

you can't convert mp3 to mp4

Yes,I can.I open blank slide with time a little bit longer (1sec) then mp3 file.No transition.Then add to this slide mp3 file and save everything as MPEG-4 H-264.Then open my slideshow and add saved file to slide as regular layer.
[ inserting the second sound in the next slide, then offsetting it to play over the previous slide

Thank you Debbie I'll give it a try.

Postby heckydog » Sun May 10, 2015 7:51 am

john54 wrote:
you can't convert mp3 to mp4

Yes,I can.I open blank slide with time a little bit longer (1sec) then mp3 file.No transition.Then add to this slide mp3 file and save everything as MPEG-4 H-264.Then open my slideshow and add saved file to slide as regular layer.

Just to clarify, you're not converting an mp3 to mp4, you are adding an mp3 to a blank mp4 video file. If it's a blank video file, it doesn't have to be mp4, it could be any format that PSP accepts.

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:53 am

Debbie you're right.Offset works.You can even move sound file from one slide to another with mouse.Thank you!
heckydog maybe I was not precise if we assume,blank slide is a video format.Usually I save this as MPEG-4 H264 240p because of file size.
Thank you all for your help.

Postby debngar » Sun May 10, 2015 10:06 am

:D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Sun May 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Yes, by using the "offset" trick, you can have 4 or 5 (or more) sounds "on" one slide - just attach one sound to each slide near the one you are working on then use the "offset" to stack them up as you wish. Note that "offset" can be either positive of negative to move the sound to a position following or in front of the slide it is on :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:42 pm

Adding a sound file to a subsequent slide works perfectly and is the only way to add additional tracks of sound at this time (don't expect any feature addition anytime soon that allows multiple sound tracks per slide or multiple sound tracks on the slide show (which themselves would permit a "sound" or "soundtrack" to be associated, if not linked to, a particular slide ... these are features that've been requested for many years ... if you hold your breath for them to be implemented ... turning blue will be the least of your worries).

Jeep, some years back, figured this out (it's documented in the first Secrets of the ProShow Experts book).

These "subsequent" slides can have transitions of 0 seconds and are themselves 0 seconds in length (and have no content, since they are only there to carry the "sound"). Typically, you ONLY need to do an offset for each of these 0 second slides that's the length of the first slide to which a sound was attached. The final "subsequent" slide would have the "transition out" time as normal (not 0 sec) since you are transitioning into the next slide.

In this way, you can add as many sounds or sound tracks as you desire ... the downside is that the sounds attached to a slide do NOT have the controls associated with the music track associated with the timeline (at this time). In most cases this shouldn't represent a problem. Also, if necessary, process the additional sound/music track in Audacity ... or the like. That should make up for the limitations of dealing with those sounds within ProShow itself.)

Dale

PS Looks like Mikey posted while I was working on my own response! But, what I said simply reinforces what he said!
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Mikey,Dale thanks for your explanation.I just played with sound offsetting and however offset is much easier way and mp4 audio file is several times larger then mp3 I think adding mp4 to slide as a layer gives greater opportunities for sound manipulation in Video Clip Settings section.

Postby im42n8 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:56 pm

MP4 is a container format ... it's not specifically audio. I don't really know what you said you were doing ... (that last post of yours ...) it's not quite making sense to me ... but I did have the impression from your initial post that you wanted to add multiple audio tracks to a slide. Maybe I was mistaken?

You can certainly add multiple audio tracks to the MP4 container format and then put that on your slide. PSP is going to interpret it as a video (at least it will be in my experience). If you do that, however, PSP DOES NOT have any additional audio control options over what you get if you add each sound separately to a 0s length blank slide (as far as sound manipulation tools go) ... except for looping the audio (and to change the Volume, Fade in/out, and offset for all associated sounds at the same time from one single location). Note that if you tweak the video speed on that MP4 layer, the sound associated with is will NOT be heard (it is only available at 100% speed ... the sound does not get sped up or slowed down ... it gets effectively turned OFF). Looping can be really nice ... but, you do have to plan appropriately for it (so it sounds right during the loop reset ... at least in general)

Since MP4 is a container format, the method you chose to encode your audio is up to you ... there are a number of formats to choose between. These can then be placed inside your MP4 container. The size of that container can therefore change depending upon the coding format for your audio ... plus the overhead associated with any potential video (even if there's not any video in the actual file). It's probably why you have a "...several times larger than mp3..." MP4 file. Be that as it may, the choice is up to you.

Except for the looping capability, the method given by Mikey and me is the one that, at this time, provides the greatest degree of flexibility and control for multiple sounds playing at the same time... and is only moderately more complicated than adding a video/audio layer to your slide. In general, however, what choice you make depends entirely upon what you're trying to do.

Good luck!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Hello

There is a bug in Producer 6 with MP4 video sound : when the first keyframe is not at the left end of the slide time (beginning of the transition), the sound appears at the beginning of transition and the video later (according to it's keyframe).

Therefore using MP4 as sound container will not help.

I use either the offset of slide sound, or a mp3 made with audacity (assembling all needed sounds) depending if I want to be able to easily move the slides or change their duration.
Chris Marie

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:50 am

What I wanted to say was:thanks to Debbie I know now to methods of addind multiple sounds to the single slide.After comparing them I prefer similar to this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kezumf_BaiY
because is giving me more opportunities for file manipulation.This is an example where in my Halloween presentation in single 60 sec. slide I placed 15 different mp4 sound effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ucihg ... -&index=39
Once again thanks for your help.
John

Postby im42n8 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:07 am

What John54 is trying to say, I think, is that using the MP4 route to adding a sound has some advantages over simply using sound attached to multiple 0s length slides.

1) You have a "visual" method of aligning a sound to an "event" within a slide. That is, you can using the MP4's layer keyframes to adjust the start of the sound.
...• If there's a need to fade the sound out sooner than the end of the sound, trim the video accordingly (the layer's last keyframe position does NOT control the end of the sound; caveat: not necessarily true when looping the video to end of slide... see below)
...• If you change the slide time, there's no need to go to each 0s length slide and readjust the offset to place the sound start BACK where you want it to start. The MP4 route removes the offset requirement (which can be very nice)

2) You can loop the audio by selecting the loop until done option for the video layer ... you cannot do that with sounds attached to a slide ... (in that case, you get the sound and the simple sound controls ... that's all). The video's fade in and fade out controls fade each iteration of the layer's sound. Note however, that the position of the last keyframe be important when using the loop option. The sound could cut off sometime after the end of the layer's keyframe but long before the end of the slide. So, you may want to drag the layer's last keyframe to be firewalled to the far right.

3) There's no visual indication of the slide's audio waveform.

4) There are no advanced audio controls over what you're afforded sounds attached to a slide other than what was given above. The audio controls are exactly the same for each approach.

Since MP4 is a container, you can simply create a blank slide on an empty show. Add the desired sound or other audio file to the sound track, adjust the sound accordingly, remove transition times, and export to some MP4 output format. Check the resulting file MP4 to ensure no audio corruption has occurred and now you have your MP4 audio file to play with. Audio controls will be effectively the same as provided in early versions of ProShow (that is, no volume control points). That's about it. This works for v6 and probably works for v5.

Dale

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:08 pm

edit : cancelled due to double post due to site problem
Last edited by Marie78 on Mon May 11, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Marie

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion