How to Publish a Portion of a Show

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

How to Publish a Portion of a Show

Postby dwswager » Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 am

We have a women at our high school that made a 21 minute show from which we would like to publish a 3 minute segment to post online. We were expecting to be able to select a start and stop point like most Video apps, but have not been able to figure it out.

I tried copying the the portion to a new show, but that only seemed to copy the slides, not the music and captions.

If someone could explain this or point us to a URL that has this information, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: How to Publish a Portion of a Show

Postby debngar » Tue May 05, 2015 5:41 am

Easiest way to do this IMO is to start with the long show, save to a new show file name (thus having an exact copy and keeping original intact) . Then highlight slides to be removed and delete them which will leave the music in the show. Music pieces will still have to be adjusted to what portion of show remains. That is done in the soundtrack area. That may include deleting one or more songs and perhaps shortening what's left to fit the slides.

I don't see why the captions would not be included.

As far as a step by step, you could try referring to the soundtrack portion of the manual. There are tutorials in the forum archives and also on the Photodex blogsite. Search using key word "soundtrack". http://www.proshowblog.com/

Hope that makes sense.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby gpsmikey » Tue May 05, 2015 10:02 am

The other way, if it was rendered to a video format, would be to use a video editor to chop it as desired. Debbie's way is probably the best way to get what you want though - copy the .psh file to a new name and then open/edit that as desired to create the "new" version of the show. I am not aware of any way to chop a show without doing it like that (and I don't remember seeing any other requests, so it is not likely to be something they are planning to add in the near future).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue May 05, 2015 10:47 am

dwswager wrote:...to select a start and stop point like most Video apps, but have not been able to figure it out.

ProShow isn't video software even though you can render a show as a video. It's like a different mindset.

Debbie's method is definitely the way to go. It's quick and easy...until you get to the soundtrack, of course, but syncing sound with sight is always a challenge no matter what, even for the professionals, it would seem. How often have you noticed the sound being out of sync on a TV program? (Drives me bananas.)

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Tue May 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Forgot to say that the music, if not properly licensed for purposes described, may be a problem due to copyright issues. There are various resources described/listed/discussed in the music section of the forum. Properly licensed royalty-free music has caused me the least grief. If popular music has already been matched to the show, that may get flagged as a problem if uploading to YouTube for instance. That might mean having to find other music for your show.
Debbie

Postby dwswager » Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 am

debngar wrote:Easiest way to do this IMO is to start with the long show, save to a new show file name (thus having an exact copy and keeping original intact) . Then highlight slides to be removed and delete them which will leave the music in the show. Music pieces will still have to be adjusted to what portion of show remains. That is done in the soundtrack area. That may include deleting one or more songs and perhaps shortening what's left to fit the slides.

I don't see why the captions would not be included.

As far as a step by step, you could try referring to the soundtrack portion of the manual. There are tutorials in the forum archives and also on the Photodex blogsite. Search using key word "soundtrack". http://www.proshowblog.com/

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, this made sense and is what I did. Thank You!

I kinda figured that was what I was going to have to do, but was trying to avoid the kludge route. It wasn't hard and I had to delete the slides and sound track separately. As to trimming, the video output, I almost went that route, but most video software wants to re-encode the video rather than just trimming it.

As PROShow Producer is in it's 6th iteration and has the word PRO versus Amateur in the title, I would think it should have time/slide markers and be capable of rendering and outputting a portion of the timeline. While not 'video' software per se, any software that uses a timeline analogy should have the ability to mark segments of the timeline and allow the user to manipulate segments. This particular show was 21 minutes with 8 defined segments (Varsity, JV, 1 each for 4 seniors, signing day, Lead in to regional playoffs). This would be a wonderful feature to add to the software and very easy to implement.

Postby debngar » Wed May 06, 2015 6:12 am

Glad you were able to sort it out. :)
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 06, 2015 8:42 am

dwswager wrote:As PROShow Producer is in it's 6th iteration and has the word PRO versus Amateur in the title, I would think it should have time/slide markers and be capable of rendering and outputting a portion of the timeline. While not 'video' software per se, any software that uses a timeline analogy should have the ability to mark segments of the timeline and allow the user to manipulate segments. This particular show was 21 minutes with 8 defined segments (Varsity, JV, 1 each for 4 seniors, signing day, Lead in to regional playoffs). This would be a wonderful feature to add to the software and very easy to implement.

Intuitively, I've always understood slideshow software and video software to be, at their root, quite different, but your statements got me truly curious about the specifics of those differences, and so I asked someone from Photodex. Here was his reply:

"As for the difference between ProShow and a video editor, they're just very different beasts. At a basic level, video editors rely heavily on scene splicing to accomplish a lot of what they provide. Slideshow tools rely more on building scenes, or slides, as their primary tool. You also have to take into account the UI requirements. What works well in a video editor doesn't necessarily provide the kind of interface appropriate for slideshow creation. The UI is actually a really big part of why these software tools remain different throughout most of the industry. There are certainly areas of overlap between the two product types, but creating a single product that works well for both uses is not as straightforward as many people expect."

So now we both know why we shouldn't expect slideshow software to also be video software, albeit at a very basic level.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 06, 2015 12:36 pm

I have to agree with the Photodex answer - the video you are creating is an artifact of the slideshow creation - there are multiple formats available to the user. In the same way that Sony Vegas Pro (and others) can create a DVD, it you want truly "Pro" DVD's, then you will need to use dedicated DVD authoring software, not just the DVD software that comes with the editor (that said, the Sony DVD architect software is pretty good, but there is much more advanced software out there if you want to spend the extra $$ to get a DVD with all the bells and whistles).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - General Discussion