How To Change One Channel Stereo To 2 channel stereo (Mono)

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

How To Change One Channel Stereo To 2 channel stereo (Mono)

Postby Chris_N » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 am

I sometimes import a video into PSP that has a faulty recording with only 1 channel stereo playing and the other channel is blank. What is the simplest way to convert it to mono so both channels will play the same track. The way I am using now is very tedious. I have to use another program to extract the audio on the video and then edit it in an external editor followed by importing the track into PSP. Then I need to mute the native video soundtrack in PSP and adjust the volume of the edited track. Then if I trim/edit the video length the audio is out of sync and I have to go to great lengths to adjust the delay time by trial and error to get the edited audio back into sync. There must be an easier way. Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Chris

Re: How To Change One Channel Stereo To 2 channel stereo (Mo

Postby heckydog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 pm

There's no way I know of to do it all in PSP.

But, I use Audacity for issues like yours and you should be able to just drag and drop your movie into Audacity and it should extract just the audio file which you can then easily change to 2 channels and out put a new audio file. That should save you the step of extracting the audio first.

Then, what I would do is open the video and new audio in a video editor and then output a whole new video to input into PSP. That should resolve the syncing issue in PSP from having two separate files.

I haven't personally come across your exact problem so maybe someone who has, has come up with a better solution.

Joe

Postby Chris_N » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks for your comments. I wonder though if its possible to edit the native video soundtrack and convert from 1 Ch stereo to 2Ch Stereo by directing to an external editor (like Audacity) from within PSP?

Kind Regards
Chris

Postby heckydog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:01 pm

AFAIK, if you have a video with audio and select the external editor from within PSP it will open in your video editor, not the audio editor.

But, I went to Edit>Preferences>External Applications and changed my video editor to Audacity. When I selected to "Open in External Editor" it did open my sample video (it's not a mono audio track) in Audacity with just the audio track. I was able to manipulate the settings. But since I don't have a video file with a mono track I wasn't able to see if I could save the changes and have them show up in PSP.

The obvious disadvantage is if you need to edit a video you have to go into the preferences and change it back to your video editor. You can give it a try and see what happens.

Joe

Postby Chris_N » Fri May 01, 2015 4:43 am

Thanks for your advice Joe, I will check it out.

Kind Regards
Chris

Return to PSP - General Discussion