Updating slides

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

Updating slides

Postby Dewcal » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Folks,

I am back for help again please!

I have just re-processed a number of images that I used in a two year old show and have saved them under their own file name in the original show folder (I overwrote the the ones that had been used to make show). When I open up the show.psh file, it does not seem to recognise the updated files - even though the have same name and extension as the files in the original show. It shows the "old" files in the slide list and none of the images in the file list are ticked as if in the show. I have saved and re-opened the show to no effect.

As I have a few (minor) effects in the show, i was hoping that the updated images would be automatically recognised and I would not have to re-make the show.

Am I being too hopeful here or is there an easy way to get the updated slides into an existing show?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Dave

Re: Updating slides

Postby cherub » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm sorry but I don't understand from your description:
Is it the show itself that doesn't include the updated images ?
Or is it just the file name list (with the thumbnail previews) that doesn't display properly the images that are being used in the show?

If it's only the thumbnails that are not correct, then that's a known problem: ProShow is rather slow in refreshing folders content.
In the folder list, close that particular folder, and then close the entire root directory.
Go to another directory on your computer, and then come back to the original folder. This will help PrShow to refresh its memory.

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi Cherub,

Thanks for prompt reply.

To clarify that the file list in PSP shows the updated images - there is no problem there.

When I open the "old" show in PSP, which is in the same folder as the images, it displays the "old" images and does not seem to want to pick up the "new" images.

I thought that the psh file just contained a reference to each image (plus any settings made on the slide) and that therefore it should "see" the new images - all of which have the same file name as the new files were written over the original ones.

If my assumption above is correct, I can't understand why the new images are not showing up!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave

Postby cherub » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 pm

You are absolutely correct in your assumption.
If you are sure that you named the new pictures EXACTLY as the old pictures, and you placed them exactly in the same directory as the old pictures, thus overwriting the old ones, then yes, ProShow should have displayed your old show with the new pictures.

So, the question is: Did you overwrite the old images or not?

You are also correct in the fact that the psh file contains references to images.
So, if you want to be sure of what's happening, (or more exactly why it's not happening :D ), then you can open the psh file in Notepad and have a look at it. Do a search for the names of the files that are problematic, and see how the psh file references them.

One more idea:
Go to the folder where the show was saved, and delete the file with the extension pxc. That's the show cache and when you next open the show, Producer will rebuild it.

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi Cherub,

Thanks for confirming my assumptions! I will try deleting the pxc file and see hwta happens - should be able to do that tomorrow and will let you know.

Dave

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:53 pm

I suspect Mona is correct about deleting the .pxc file for the show - that is a cache file and since the file names didn't change, it doesn't know the images did change.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:17 am

Mikey, Cherub,

Thanks for your help. Deleting the pxc files seems to have lifted the road block and the newly processed images are now in place.

Dave

Postby cherub » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Dewcal,
I'm glad that it worked for you. :D

Return to PSP - General Discussion