Need audio help

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Need audio help

Postby miracle617 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:02 pm

I thought I had AUDIO mastered---guess not !!
This is a 2 part question
1. I want a 4 min song to start 23 seconds in my 15 min show. I am messing around in " Edit fades and timing"
but I cant get the song to START right at 23 sec. It keeps going to slide one.

2. Because of the above problem, I went into " SYNCH Music"... I shouldnt have gone here. ha
I now have my 15 min show synched to 4 min total. I must have clked some button but I dont know which one.

Thanks for any help you wonderful folks can give me

Mike
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Need audio help

Postby Astra » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Mike,
as for #1 question - could be "Offset" - 23 seconds ..

Postby miracle617 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:23 pm

thanks Astra--we're getting close but offset didnt get me the START of the song.
It started 23 sec inside the song.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Postby Dean Athans » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Mike -

Instead of "Slide List", switch to "Timeline View". Here, you'll see that the slides become much smaller but now the timeline is "linear." In this view you can easily "grab" any soundtrack (and even slide sounds) you want and move it left-right (i.e., earlier-later) to position it exactly where you want it.

In the timeline view you'll also find a set of buttons at the lower right end that allow you to magnify/lessen the slide appearance (for better precision) and also edit points that you can set onto your soundtrack where you can then decrease/increase the volume (and effect fade-ins and fade-outs).

Of course, most of this can also be accomplished by going to the sound "trimmer" pop-up where you can work on the fades and trims on a wave representation of the soundtrack (but without seeing the slides that match the sound). However, here you can also type in, directly, the exact values you're trying to use in the show.

Depending on the show I'm creating, I use both approaches when editing the sound against the visual. (I believe the ability to create offsets [without necessarily having to provide a "filler sound or silence"] makes this feature a "non-linear" sound editor [and that others in the forum will correct me if I'm wrong!].)

Best of luck with accomplishing what you're trying to do with regard to your soundtrack!

- Dean A.
Dean A

Postby miracle617 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:30 pm

Thank you very much Dean--I have tried to stay away from Timeline---maybe its time I learned sumthin
Thks
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Postby miracle617 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Astra--My mistake---you were right. I had the show in progress. I re-inserted the song with the offset
and it worked.
Mike
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:07 pm

The other trick you can use (some programs have problems with no sound someplace in the video - it seems to confuse them) in your sound editor, create a few sound clips of "silence" of various lengths. You can then insert (and trim) in your video as "place holders". It is also a good idea for something like voice overs to record the ambient noise in the room where you are doing the voice segments - you can then put chunks of the ambient noise between speech and it doesn't sound "dead".

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Astra » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Mike,
glad the "offset" helped.
As for your other question - "SYNCH" = means "synchronization, and it will take all you slides & will fit it to the music. That's the reason, your (originally) 15 minutes show is now "squeezed" into 4 minutes to fit the music.
What you could do to help your show back to 15 minutes - one fast idea: find 15 minutes music (or 5 minutes & insert it 3x) - so your show will be your 15 minutes again. ... And SYNC it.
Then - delete this "helpful" 15 minutes music, load back your 4 minutes (with 23 seconds offset) - and work rest of your show as you wish ... and ... DO NOT SYNC it !! (again...)
Astra

Postby miracle617 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:26 am

Astra---thks once again. (sorry for the slow response--spent some time in a hospital for a minor issue)
I will stay away from SYNCH with a passion....I am trying to get the energy to go in and find out exactly what button I clicked to start this mess. My show is a personal one so no pressure on time.

Another idea I had ( the lazy man's version) would be to reinstall Producer and hope that restores the defaults.

I;m gonna try your idea later today

Thanks Astra

Mike
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Postby Astra » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Mike,
I do not think (by my opinion) that re-installing Producer (software) will help you to "restore default" (default of "what" ???) .
.... Software (Producer) itself has nothing to do - how your show behaves or behaved in past.
Astra

Postby miracle617 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:42 pm

I still havent tried restoring the software---my thought was this would restore the default setting in SYNCHRO
which I had changed and couldnt correct.
but anyway--synchro has cleared up by itself (maybe I am a magician)

Everything is wonderful now---and thanks to your offset command
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Return to PSP - General Discussion