Volume leveling question.

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

Volume leveling question.

Postby NLAlston » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:06 am

I have a fair number of relatively short video clips, of my year old granddaughter, which had been taken with a cell phone's video camera. These files, I would like to assemble a show in my PSP6. The issue is that the volume levels, between some of these clips, vary a bit too much. I was wondering if there is a feature in PSP6 (that I don't know of) which would level out the audio of the assembled files. If so, I would truly appreciate information on how to about the procedure.

Advanced thanks.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Re: Volume leveling question.

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:21 am

Cell phone video drives me nuts - most people tend to slowly rotate the "camera" for framing which makes it a pain to "undo" when working with it. Anyway, I am not aware of a way in proshow to "normalize" the audio for various clips short of just adjusting the volume for each clip once you have inserted it in the timeline. Little kids are particularly problematic that way since they are so cute when they go from a soft "goo goo" to the shriek and giggle :D If you are going to be working with a number of clips, consider getting a video editor like Sony Vegas Movie Studio or Premiere Elements etc. They allow you to do lots of good things with video that is beyond the range/intent of Proshow such as normalization, compression etc. See this link for better definitions of the effects you may want to look into. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization You could also split the audio from the video then use something like the free Audacity to effect the changes to the audio then add it back, but that can be tricky (nothing looks worse than a bad job of syncing audio to lip movement !! )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:34 pm

gpsmikey wrote:Cell phone video drives me nuts - most people tend to slowly rotate the "camera" for framing which makes it a pain to "undo" when working with it. Anyway, I am not aware of a way in proshow to "normalize" the audio for various clips short of just adjusting the volume for each clip once you have inserted it in the timeline. Little kids are particularly problematic that way since they are so cute when they go from a soft "goo goo" to the shriek and giggle :D If you are going to be working with a number of clips, consider getting a video editor like Sony Vegas Movie Studio or Premiere Elements etc. They allow you to do lots of good things with video that is beyond the range/intent of Proshow such as normalization, compression etc. See this link for better definitions of the effects you may want to look into. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization You could also split the audio from the video then use something like the free Audacity to effect the changes to the audio then add it back, but that can be tricky (nothing looks worse than a bad job of syncing audio to lip movement !! )

Thanks, Mikey.

I was, in fact, working with v10 of Premiere Elements, but only within the efforts changing the file's video play orientations. I am guessing that there had to be somewhere in the vicinity of about 50 clips, and nearly all of them had to be given a 90 degree clockwise rotation. Then, they had to be rendered. These all had to be done in singular fashion, as I found no means by which to batch process/render the files in PE. But it is also a fact that I never REALLY worked with this video program, before yesterday. My brother has Element's big brother (Premiere pro), and methinks that I will give him a call. I had just wondered in PSP6 might've had some type of normalization capability built in.

Thanks again.

mikey
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Not that I am aware of, unfortunately. I was just happy when they finally added the ability to add control points to the audio track in the recent (or not so recent) release. There may be a way to do what you want, but I have not encountered it.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:32 am

gpsmikey wrote:Not that I am aware of, unfortunately. I was just happy when they finally added the ability to add control points to the audio track in the recent (or not so recent) release. There may be a way to do what you want, but I have not encountered it.

mikey

Not a problem - and I thank you, again.

You know, I never fret much on what features this program (PSP) may NOT have, because there are just so many beneficial elements that it DOES have, and I never lack ANY degree of enjoyment/satisfaction in working within its environment.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Postby bonalymac » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:32 am

If you extract the audio as an mp3 (or other) file then free progs such as mp3gain or audacity would batch process the audio to let you normalise the audiovolume

It can then be placed on each slide as a slide sound and change the video audio to zero volume
Colin

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 am

bonalymac wrote:If you extract the audio as an mp3 (or other) file then free progs such as mp3gain or audacity would batch process the audio to let you normalise the audiovolume

It can then be placed on each slide as a slide sound and change the video audio to zero volume

Colin, I NEVER ONCE thought of that, and I had downloaded that MP3Gain not very long ago (just earlier this month, in fact). I will surely put it to task, with this project, and I thank you for the 'Head's Up'.

OOPS, today is the 2nd. I meant last month :D.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:26 pm

NLAlston wrote:
OOPS, today is the 2nd. I meant last month :D.

Hey, I'm still working on the fact it is 2015 !! :evil:

mikey

Postby bonalymac » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:14 am

NLAlston wrote: I NEVER ONCE thought of that, .

Don't worry, we've all missed things which afterwards seem obvious!
Colin

Return to PSP - General Discussion