Masking

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Masking

Postby workingday » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 am

Please forgive me if the answer is simple but I am tearing my hair out with a problem. I am writing a show for widescreen 16:9 and when I play it back on my monitor, it does not fill the screen either horizontally or vertically. This in itself is not a problem but if I want to bring in another layer from any direction it comes in from outside the boundaries of my main show. I have been trying to produce a mask to cover the area outside the show without success. Can anybody save my hair please?
Colin Turner

Re: Masking

Postby debngar » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:04 am

Post a short example on YouTube of what's happening so others can see exactly what's going on and suggest best options. What's being described isn't all that clear. It may be just a matter of a setting adjustment rather than having to create a mask. Or just a perception as to what the preview should/shouldn't look like in the edit screen.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby workingday » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:01 pm

Not being a YouTube user, I don't know how to post my show there. I will try to explain. When my show is running at full screen, I have a black border all the way round, about 1.5" on the vertical sides and 0.75" on the top and bottom. If I try to introduce another layer, say a small picture overlay by panning it in from one side, it starts off by crossing over this black border whereas I don't want it to appear until it enters the slideshow space. I cannot seem to create a border outside the normal space of the slideshow but anything panning in from top or sides does appear in this space.
Colin Turner

Postby cherub » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Colin,

Tell me please, if you insert a picture in an empty slide, and you set the layer of this picture to "fill screen", do you still see black borders?

In other words: Slide Options > Layer Settings > Layer Setup > Scaling > Fill Frame
Does this setting cover all your screen?

Postby workingday » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 pm

The picture does indeed cover the whole screen!! Thanks for that. I can apply this to a frame and achieve exactly what I want.

Many thanks indeed.
Colin Turner

Postby cherub » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm glad that this solved the problem of the black borders.
I don't quite understand the effect that you want to achieve, but I don't think that you need any frame.
If your first layer covers the whole screen, then you can bring your second smaller picture from outside the edges of the screen, without any frame. It will appear on top of your first picture.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Review the article in the link below. I think it'll be of quite a bit of use for you. Understanding how ProShow scales can be quite useful.

https://fpvp.wordpress.com/proshow-disc ... ge-import/

Now, as far as bringing in another image to cover the previous one, you need to ensure that it too covers the screen (which depends upon your scale and layer zoom setting) ... and is in a layer that exists above the currently displayed layer (that's the simplest approach). The article above should provide the necessary information ... as well as some of the other articles on that site...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby workingday » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Cherub

I can see your point but I like to put a frame around my slideshows with a small logo in the corner. I wanted the new layers to emerge from "behind" the frame and your help enabled me to achieve that.

Thanks again
Colin Turner

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:12 am

If, in the future, you want a border such as you were describing, you can place a white solid as the top layer, sizing it a bit smaller than the full screen. Turn this layer into a mask and then place the rest of the layers inside that mask. No matter how or when those layers come and go, they'll appear to be inside that frame. The logo you refer to can be in a layer that's not contained within the mask.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSP - General Discussion