Copying or Deleting multiple layers

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

Copying or Deleting multiple layers

Postby Dewcal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 am

Hi Folks,

Using PSP v6.0.3397, I am trying to build a historical slide show for a yearly community event with photos from over 6 years and am now down to 927 slides..... I would like to put the relevant year on each slide (2009, 2010 etc) and was thinking of using a number of layers with the dates on. Then for each slide I could hide or show the relevant layer to get consistent positioning typeface etc. This show will just run in the background over the 3 day event - no sound required!

I know I can copy a layer at a time to all slides but is there anyway to copy multiple layers at once? Likewise to delete multiple layers when I go through the presentation to get the relevant year on the slide? I do not want to have 5 layers on each slide that will not be used and just build up file size....

Probably another query is am I going about this the best way?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

Re: Copying or Deleting multiple layers

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:21 am

Short ans: NO. You delete or copy one layer at a time.

Now, it is possible to PASTE IN a slide (which is in the clipboard) into another slide. You can COPY (CTRL C) a slide .... highlight a different slide. Then, right click (if I remember right ... since I'm nowhere near the program right now), and select PASTE IN. It places the entire copied slide onto the existing slide (at the top of the layer queue).

There's another option too, can't remember exactly. something like merge slides or the like ... does essentially the same thing. Basically tho, you aren't able to simply select multiple layers and then copy those selected layers to one or more slides. Maybe someday ... but not at this time.

So, the options you seek are available in a limited form (at this time) but not in the form you (and many of the rest of us) would like to see.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:24 am

I am trying to build a historical slide show for a yearly community event with photos from over 6 years and am now down to 927 slides.....

I'm wondering....

Have you calculated/estimated the potential size and viewing time of the final show design? With so many slides and images used in one show, if it's not broken up into several pieces, one can easily encounter difficulties. Huge shows can tax computer resources while editing, rendering etc and sometimes makes it impossible to finish the project. While some users don't put shows on DVD any longer, size can still create problems.

It would be disappointing to spend a lot of time on such a large show only to find out it needs a re-edit to make it work out as imagined.

Good Luck! :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am

Dale,

Many thanks for confirmation that I have not totally lost it! Will try a "paste" and see how I get on.

Debbie,

As for the size of the show, I will be making a copy of ht eshow file before trying to render as an mp4 file. At 3 seconds per slide with a 3 sec transition, it should be about 100 mins..... or so!
It will be in a TV over a bar so if anyone stops to watch it all, whihc is not really the intention, they are unlikely to be critical by the end of the show!

My PC is a reasonable spec so will be happy to set it away and have dinner or a sleep!!

Thanks for the thoughts folks.

Dave

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:33 pm

While a regular DVD can only handle an hour or so, a dual layer DVD can handle much more ... a 2 or 3 hour long show (which is LONG) can be a real test to watch. The only caveat is that the show be kept under the 8.5GB limit. ( the viewing resolution isn't all that bad when using an upconverting DVD player on a large screen TV set ) .....

However, a project, made up of multiple shows, can easily make it a more manageable affair ... since each show can be independently watched (or shown in-turn, one show after the other... using the play all option). Many people still think of DVDs as only being single layer and therefore limited to that hour or so of viewing time. If you do use a dual layer DVD, I'd create an ISO in ProShow and then use a program like ImgBurn to get that ISO onto the DVD correctly.

The other feature I spoke about (the one who's name I couldn't remember was "Combine Slides." Look in the ProShow manual for more specific information about the features of "Combines Slides" and "Paste Into."

Have fun and good luck with your show!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Here is a forum archive search result for "+combine +slides" which may be helpful reading in addition to the content in the user manual.

search.php?keywords=%2Bcombine+%2Bslides&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Dale, Debbie,

Many thanks for your further help. Will let you know how I get on - the show is intended as "background entertainment" ratehr than sit down and watch!

Dave

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:21 pm

It has been a long time (which included a month away) since my original question but I am pleased to say that the show was finally produced to a file size of almost 7Gb (on USB Stick) which is playing well on Samsung TV as an mp4 file. I ended up with 919 slides, all with a common watermark and an individual caption. Resolution was 1920 x 1080 - no soundtrack was included.

It is now playing in a local shop window as part of an advertisement for this years festivities.

Thanks to Dale & Debbie for helping as I got through this "monster".

Return to PSP - General Discussion