DVD's won't PLAY

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

DVD's won't PLAY

Postby raydio » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Once in a while, a few years ago, I used to have burning problems which Pro Show ultimately came up with solutions. One was after cutting a DVD and having the MENU on the screen and ready to go in the DVD player, the show wouldn't start by pushing PLAY or ENTER on my DVD remote. After a few upgrades the problem went away.

However, now it's back again and this time I can't find a solution. The only way it will play is by pushing STOP on the remote, and then PLAY. The show starts without the introduction (MENU screen which I customize).
When you've got a full house watching your show, it's seems rather unprofessional.

I'm using Pro Show Producer 6.00.3410.

Any suggestions or has anyone else had this problem?

raydio@shaw.ca
God takes you just as you are - but He never leaves you that way.

Re: DVD's won't PLAY

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 am

Whenever I had a problem with a DVD, it was the DVD player, in the end, that was the problem. I could get it to play on one DVD but on the other, it wouldn't.

If you're burning the DVD via ProShow, you might want to stop doing that. Instead, use the program called ImgBurn. It has all kinds of bells and whistles to make sure that what you're writing to the DVD gets there correctly. The ProShow write isn't nearly so robust. Simply write to an ISO and have ImgBurn write that image file to the DVD. However, the play and stop buttons on the DVD menu should make the dvd video play and stop without a problem; if it worked before, it should continue to work (if it has played successfully on a DVD player in the past).

Also, you might put the DVD into the DVD player on your computer and check its ability to play using a program called VLC Media Player.

As for the DVD introduction show, it only plays once ... when the DVD is first inserted and the DVD itself is read. Otherwise, it's not going to play. This is standard fare for most DVDs you buy ... the introduction only plays that once.

Good luck.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby raydio » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks for that info im42n8. I have imgBurn but never used it so I'll give it a try. Also, I've never created an ISO file - I take it that it's a data file with all the ProShow files inside to be used for something other than burning a DVD immediately or creating a Quicktime or WMV file for a computer.

I suppose there's a tutorial on ProShow's website that will walk me through it.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:07 pm

An ISO file is simply an image file. ImgBurn simply makes sure the ISO gets into the disc correctly. Just set ProShow to write your show to an ISO file on your hard drive. It's simple. But, until you do it once you'll never know for sure.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:21 pm

An ISO file is a container (much like a zip file for example) that contains the complete file system that would be on the DVD. Those files are made up of the rendered output from Proshow, NOT the files used to create the show itself. The rendering has already been done when it gets to the ISO file. You create an ISO file from the publish page where you select your DVD burner - there is a pull down that has an ISO file as the option. ISO files can be used to create as many identical copies of the DVD as you want (using Imgburn for example). There are also some utilities such as VLC player that can play an ISO file just like it was a DVD. You can add additional content to the ISO if you want just like you can a DVD, but it is important to understand that the ISO file is basically an image of what is on the DVD, NOT your source files (unless you include them under extras or something).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Yeah, I should have said that the ISO was a "DVD Image" file ... that contained all files and such necessary to play the video on the DVD disk. I was writing from the iPhone when I did it (I don't do that very often).

As Mikey noted, you do NOT have source files on the ISO. You can include additional content (you point the program to a folder containing the content you want to include on the DVD) and/or the images that were included in the show ... they are options when publishing the ISO file from ProShow.

Dale

Postby raydio » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the info on ISO - using it all the time now. Found the "Can't start show problem" - it's in the MENU settings under "Customize Menu" \ LAYERS tab \ Layer Settings \ Action On Click \ PLAY A SHOW :P

Wish the HelpDesk would've directed me here.

** Don't use this setting under the CAPTIONS tab - it kicks me out of the program altogether :evil:

Postby im42n8 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:01 pm

Well, it's good you got the problem resolved.

Years ago, I found myself making lots of coasters by trying to create a DVD directly from within ProShow. I had substantially better luck with the ISO route and have been using it ever since. For some folk, creating the DVD directly from within ProShow works just fine ... for others, it's simply an exercise in frustration.

Where WOULD we be if everything worked perfectly every time all the time? :D

Dale

Return to PSP - General Discussion