font suggestions

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

font suggestions

Postby bob walden » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:47 am

Looking for a font that would work with my show about old farming and old farm equipment. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bob W.

Re: font suggestions

Postby debngar » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:17 am

First thing I'd try is a search using key words such as "barn font" or "farm font". If there's a lot of text in your show, it's good if the font choice is more legible than gaudy.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby bob walden » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 am

Did true a font search but don't trust my artistic judgement. And to me most look either hokey or bland. So I guess I'll just stick to something like Georgia which is ok in bold. Noting really struck me as looking old. As I don't know what I'm looking for that doesn't surprise me. Thanks.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Try something like "western font" in your search. And yes, there are LOTS of fonts out there that unless you have a very specific need, simply look "hokey". Watch for the ones with lots of fine details in them - unless you have everything set right and a good monitor, the fine details make them look even worse.

Here is one that could work (I have found quite a few at 1001freefonts.com ) http://www.1001freefonts.com/cast_iron.font

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby ginger » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi Bob,

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but how about something western like "Stagecoach" which you may already have or one of the other western style ones http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=106. One that's a little distressed is "Go 2 Old Western". (Check out the "WANTED" poster on that page. It shows several examples of the font in use.)

ginger

Edit: Oops, sorry Mikey. I got interrupted while creating my post and didn't see yours before I posted. Anyway, you can't have too many gadgets, too much disk space... or too many fonts. :lol:

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:58 pm

ginger wrote:Hi Bob,

Edit: Oops, sorry Mikey. I got interrupted while creating my post and didn't see yours before I posted. Anyway, you can't have too many gadgets, too much disk space... or too many fonts. :lol:

Hey, the more the merrier !! :D (although like too many parts in my CAD library, too many fonts can slow things down) - I have a font manager called "Printers Apprentice" that works well although there are a number of free ones out there as well (search the forum here for "font managers" seems to me there have been several discussions in the past about them).

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby bob walden » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Mikey and Ginger, thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking these may be a bit too/to (after all my years I still get those two mixed up) western for my NE Iowa farmer neighbors. Guess I'll keep it simple. But now I am interested in using a couple of the western fonts suggested. Just need a good subject.

Bob

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Perhaps for NE Iowa, you could use this one? :D http://www.1001freefonts.com/corn_fed.font

mikey

Postby ginger » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:44 am

Still not really clear about what you're looking for. When you say "old" I assume you just mean "traditional"? If you're just talking about for titles I think a nice serif font with a little style to it would work well. I have one called Tymes Little Caps that works well for titles. (Scroll halfway down the page to see it in use.) It's all caps with the first letter of each word being slightly larger than the rest of the word. (Pottery Barn's logo is a small cap font.) For larger bodies of text, you'd want a simple font that's easy to read at smaller sizes.

bob walden wrote:But now I am interested in using a couple of the western fonts suggested. Just need a good subject.

Maybe you could create a Wanted Poster for a 'special' person? :)

Good luck with your project.

ginger

Return to PSP - General Discussion