HD output settings

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

HD output settings

Postby Barb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:48 am

I am still running Producer 4.52 and wish to output to a format that I can upload to YouTube at a later time. Also I want a format that I can store on a flash drive to play from my WD media player at a later time. Anybody using media player for playback and if so, what format are you most pleased with. I use to be able to output to H.264, but now I keep crashing. Seems like Photodex helped me to figure out a setting for this once but I don't remember. I might have used a "device plugin". I've successfully created a .mov (mpeg 2) file. Is that format good to upload to YouTube rather than the .avi format that Producer outputs for YouTube? When I output to an .avi file it's jittery, but the file size is much smaller than the .mov file (2.98 GB mpeg2/mov vs. 608 MB avi).

My machine is Intel i5, 2.67 GHz/6 GB Ram/64-bit Windows.

Thanks.

Barb

PS: Guess it's time to upgrade to Producer 6.

Re: HD output settings

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:08 am

I'm not sure about YouTube formats (search the forum here - there have been a number of discussions on that), however, what I have been happy with for my TV is 16:9 720p mp4 files. I can put them on a flash drive and plug it right into my TV (it has a USB port on it). They play very nice. I think the WD player also handles that format if I remember correctly.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Barb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Mikey,
Thanks for your prompt response. When creating video as MPEG-4, what is your reasoning for 720p vs. 1080p? If playing on 1080 TV, would I want to choose 1080 vs 720, or does it matter?

While I have your attention, do you think the upgrade to Producer 6 is significant (I'm at PSP 4.52). I'm happy with what I've got, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Any comments on what you couldn't live without in the upgrade.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:51 pm

As far as 720 vs 1080, there were a couple of reasons I settled on that - the 720p looks very good on my 60 inch tv, it is significantly smaller than the 1080 file and since it is much smaller, the data rate reading from the flash drive is significantly lower at 720 from the 1080. Not sure how much of a problem that is (the data rate), but I found it worked fine for my shows. You might want to experiment and see if you can tell the difference on your TV.

As for upgrading, several of the things I really like are the ability to put volume control points on the soundtrack to adjust sound levels as needed, the ability to convert text to a layer so you can do many more things with the text (instead of always being at the top like a regular caption). I have forgotten what all the differences are, you might want to check out this link and see what you like http://www.photodex.com/proshow/producer - part way down that page is a button for "whats new in Proshow 6" that may provide some insight into the new features as well. The new user interface will take a bit of getting used to, however, after grumbling about it, most of us have decided we actually like it :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:47 am

Barb wrote:I am still running Producer 4.52
Barb
PS: Guess it's time to upgrade to Producer 6.

Actually, the major upgrade was from producer 4.5 to Producer 5.
That's when tilting effects had been added and the entire user interface had been changed.
The changes from 5 to 6 are not as drastic.

So, you may be facing a bit of a learning curve, while getting used to the new interface, looking for things that you know are there, but you can't find them. :D

Postby Barb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:18 am

Thanks, Mickey and Mona, for your input. I'm thinking the tilt effect might fill a void I didn't know I had. Also, I'm going to give the 720 a try since I will be uploading to YouTube. The smaller file size would be a benefit. I uploaded the mpeg2 file (2.98 GB) and the clarity was much greater than the avi file on YouTube. I am going to upload the mpeg4 (597 MB, much smaller than the mpeg2 file of 2.98 GB) and compare. After all that, I'll output to 720 in the different formats and compare. I get really confused with the different output formats, containers, codec, framerate, bitrate, etc.

Tilt effects coupled with volume control points sounds pretty enticing to upgrade. I don't use Producer too often, maybe 3 - 4 times a year on average, sometimes more. When I do, I'm blown away with the results and so is my audience. I do spend a great deal of time putting a show together, selecting just the right pics, effects, music, syncing, etc. I use style packs that I purchase from other members on this forum. I'm also appreciative of the passion from all those who respond to our post and help make our slideshows what they are, phenomenal!

Barb

Return to PSP - General Discussion