Picture Edit Program for ProShow

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

Picture Edit Program for ProShow

Postby mcdonto » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm trying to find a user friendly photo editor....here's my story to Mikey:

Hi Mikey, I hope you can help me This last year (Feb) I got a new computer, custom built because our computer was so outdated. Anyway, I had a photo edit program called "Picture It" that I used to edit my pictures for my ProShows. It was so easy but it's an older program that is not compatible to my Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. Can you please recommend a program that I can use to edit my pictures? I haven't done a show since then but I'm now ready to do a show of my great niece's first birthday party. If there's any other system information you need let me know. I'm SO desperate to get a good picture edit program!!

Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated

Thanks,
Tonya

This is his response:

Hi Tonya - well, you might try gimp - it is a free one. I don't have a lot of experience with the various programs - I have been using Photoshop for some time - got tired of the others and paid the $$$. Good program and lots of good tutorials out there (which was a big issue with the other programs I had tried). There is also Photoshop Elements which is cheaper than Photoshop by quite a ways but without all the power (I tried playing with it in the past and found it was not a "subset of Photoshop" (at least for me) that a lot of people have said. You might just ask the same basic question in the forum - I do know that there are lots of people that do not use Photoshop (I think gimp may be second). I used to use PhotoImpact (not sure if it is even still around) but got tired of the poor documentation as well as no tutorials out there (Lynda.com has a tremendous number of tutorials on Photoshop and other Adobe things). Sorry I can't give you any better information than that, but I simply don't have any recent experience with anything other than Photoshop. Corel (which was bought out by somebody I think) also has their suite which includes Corel Draw and Corel Paint or something like that. ( I have an older version of Corel Draw that you can mostly get to run on Win7 - I liked it for the ability to put together graphic things and import images etc. - last time I checked though, it was old enough that I didn't get any credit towards an upgrade and would have to pay full price. I passed, but I believe a number of folks in the forum do use the Paint portion (their image editing program).

I'm going to check out the gimp. But before I do that, if any one else has any suggestions, please let me know!! Mikey was so kind in giving me all this information! I'd like to use Photoshop, but feel that this program is too advanced for me unless it comes with a tutorial or some class I can take on line.

Any comments are very much appreciated!!
Tonya

Re: Picture Edit Program for ProShow

Postby dickmr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:42 pm

By far the most downloaded free image editors are Irfanview and PhotoScape. Quite a ways behind those two are Paint.Net and Gimp.
However, those two are simpler and more versatile. They have been around for a long time and have many loyal users. You mentioned
Corel which has a product CorelDraw. Back in 2004, Corel (Canadian) bought out JASC, the makers of Paint Shop Pro which was based in
Minnesota. I still use an older version of Paint Shop Pro for some special and easier processes. While you want to give Gimp a tryout,
I suggest you also take a look at Paint.Net. Its pretty intuitive and if you 'google' the name (Paint.Net) you can find lots of information,
and there are plenty of YouTube video tutorials to watch also. The documentation is online. Below is an address where you can get the
download of the latest version 4.0.3. Its on the upper right side. Don't click on the green 'download' tab in the middle, that is for a converter
and they put it there to fake people out to download. Also read some of the info on that page which has links to the Paint.Net community
and tutorials and add-ons. Have fun.

http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:26 am

It depends on what you're looking for in a photo editor but my recommendation is Adobe Lightroom.

It has the normal photo editing tools, though not as many as Photoshop or Gimp, but more than sufficient for most editing. And it's a non-destructive editor.

The bonus is that it is by far the best cataloguer of photos. And there are lots of tutorials for it.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:12 am

I have two computers one running windows 7 and one running windows 8 - although Microsoft Picture It says it is not compatible, it works fine but is very limited. I have PhotoShop, but no matter how many times I try it, I can't seem to master it. Another program I use is Professor Franklin's Instant Photo Effects, very easy and very basic editing program-it might even be available as a free download. Hope this helps.

Postby PhotoMill » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:55 pm

For my primary editing work, I have used Faststone for as long as I can remember. It is a free program found at www.faststone.org and they only ask for a donation down the road if you like the program well enough. I did !! Sent a donation of $30.00 as it was the best program for me. Finer work is done with Paint Shop Pro.
Have fun !

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby patomat » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Have you checked into Picasa? It's free ..it's easy ..a great organizer ..editor..crops..etc Altho I use Photoshop Elements 12 & Lightroom, along with OnOne and Pinacle for some video ..I use Picasa for down and dirty editing all the time. Great way to view and dump .. catalog and tag and export folders right to PhoShow. That's all I used years ago when I first started with PS...highly recommend. Any questions ..welcome to contact me. Pat

Postby Astra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 am

PaintShop - by Corel.
Easy to use, easy to buy, easy on $$ ... Using it for several years, happy with it.
Alex/Astra

Postby tdew » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I have tried a number of different ones, but still come back to PhotoImpact even though it's not supported anymore, because I know it best. It does still runs on Win 7. I know this doesn't help you, but it just goes to show that there are many different programs out there that you can use.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:32 am

Hello

Photoshop Elements gives the high level of the photo editing référence software for a small price.

But for best result, it's better to learn how tu use the full editing possibilities and not only AutoCorrect features.
Chris Marie

Return to PSP - General Discussion