For those who produce shows or image processing on a laptop

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

For those who produce shows or image processing on a laptop

Postby DJaseck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:17 am

While I have a good desktop system with a large monitor, I find that I am more comfortable with my 17" laptop for shows and image processing. Problem with laptop screens is the variables that can come into play if you viewing angle is not correct. Screen too far forward or too far back and you are not getting the correct visual information the file contains. I found this simple gadget that is really useful and gives me the confidence of doing processing on images and shows with respect to contrast, tonality, color, etc. whether you place your shows on the web or a DVD. I am so impressed with the functionality of this attachment, I thought it might be of interest to those here on the forum. Both my laptop screen and desktop monitor are color corrected and I can use them as a check against each other. Anyway, here is the link to the manufacturer of this inexpensive viewing angle gauge attachment (watch the video to see how it works and simple installation). BTW..I have no financial interest in or connection with the company...Dave

http://www.acratech.net/accessories/viewing-angle-gauge

Here it is on my laptop:
http://www.pbase.com/davidjaseck/image/158254674
http://www.pbase.com/davidjaseck/image/158254677

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: For those who produce shows or image processing on a lap

Postby briancbb » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Looks simple, but effective. :D
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Cute (and about $14 profit too !!) You can also look at your reflection in the screen and adjust so your eyes are in the center of the screen. That should get you close.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby DJaseck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:24 pm

It would surprise you how the screen image changes simply by you changing your viewing position, like hunching over the screen just as some natural body movement. It gives me a sense of confidence being there for a constant check especially when making final image adjustments with curves or levels. Plus sometimes there is no reflection. Will save me a lot of printer ink and paper as well knowing my image is OK if it does not print right.

Postby tdew » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:01 am

I just want to know if they tried out a lot of different speakers before they settled on this one? He almost seems like a robot.

Postby debngar » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 am

Some years back, I bought a laptop and used a calibrated desktop monitor connected to it for processing my pictures. I eventually decided to go back completely to desktop setup.

I thought the laptop would be useful for on-the-go client ordering sessions. But it was useless for sharing images with more than one person at a time. Any other person looking at the screen from another angle was not seeing the same thing the person in front of it was seeing. The images were dark and nearly not visible on screen.

While that gadget will set the screen at the same angle every time, I think the same issue would exist when more than one person is viewing the screen unless laptop monitors are better now and don't have that same angle viewing issue.

Using a 10 inch tablet and appropriate app for instance seems to work for ordering sessions because of the nice vibrant display which was not available at the time I was using a laptop.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSP - General Discussion