Recovery

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Esteemed Member

Recovery

Postby LEE7 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Everybody.

Its a long time since I found on here how to save shows back to my computer.

I have been asked to present 20 minutes at the next U3A meeting, the shows I need are from 2010 & 2007, but I have lost my DVD copies.

So I need to recover them from Photodex site.

Could I please beg for assistance, grovel, grovel.

Regards.

Peter.

Re: Recovery

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 am

Well, you can sort of get them from the site (assuming of course they are up on the site). The versions on the sharing site are .px files (sort of intermediate format) files which means you can play them on a windows PC that has presenter on it (as opposed to a DVD that is going to be a standard format that will play on almost anything). That said, what you need to do is "play" the show from the site then grab a copy of the .px file (which actually will have a name like psg123.tmp or something like that) in your windows temp folder. Exactly where that folder is depends on which version of windows you are running (and may be "hidden" so you have to make it visible). On my system (windows 7), that temp folder is in "C:\Users\mikey\AppData\Local\Temp" Quite a while ago, I wrote a post on "saving your shows" I think was the title. I will see if I can find that.

Here is the link to my original post (recognize that you have to rename the .tmp file to .px for things to work)
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6907

One additional comment - your issue is another of the reasons I prefer to render to an ISO file first then burn to DVD. Disk space is cheap these days and the ISO file is an exact copy of what will be on the DVD. So when the DVD goes missing in that stack of papers etc. (like they often do), it is easy to create a new DVD from the ISO on your hard drive and it will be an exact clone of what the original was. I do not know of a simple way to get from the .px intermediate format back to a DVD short of "recording" the video as you play it then using a video editor to create a DVD from that. That method is likely to be less than satisfactory though.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby LEE7 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:14 am

Hi Mikey.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the late reply, big troubles at home, hopefully resolved.

Managed to sort out the download/save etc, need to get into a video editing program, is it possible, and how would I go on ?

Thanks again.

Regards.

Peter.

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:52 am

There are two parts to the "capture" - the first is capturing the video from the screen (play it back full screen for best results). I have a program I purchased some time ago for capturing audio, but it also does video called "Total Recorder", however, I'm sure there are a number of such utilities out there for screen capture - probably free - do a search on "video screen capture". The second part is then to edit as desired. There are a number of video editors out there - some free - I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio that generally works quite well. I am not aware of another way to convert the .px file that is on the Photodex sharing site to a video file. If you had it up on YouTube for example, that is typically a video file and as such, there are some free utilities that allow you to download / capture the video file to your hard drive. You might also drop Photodex an email and ask them if they have any other ideas for converting a "shared show" to video. Some systems do have composite video output on them - I guess you could feed that into a recorder. Those are the only things that come to mind right now. I will think about it a bit and see if any other ideas pop up - perhaps some of the others here have a better idea? Going the px file route (from the sharing site), I would definitely download the file and play a local copy when I was recording rather than playing from the sharing site - it is much more likely to be smooth.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - General Discussion