Using Producer like Powerpoint

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Esteemed Member

Using Producer like Powerpoint

Postby smunited » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:16 am

Hi everyone, I am wondering if you can use Producer like Powerpoint? Where you have a slide up and hit a key to get it to move forward to the next slide? I am doing a workshop and want to have slide prompts. I have never used to the program this way and am not sure you even can. Thanks Sandra

Re: Using Producer like Powerpoint

Postby im42n8 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes ... kind of.

You must do it from within ProShow or from within an EXE file. You do NOT have the option to JUMP to other slides with a hotspot. You can FLAG slides and you can jump to the next or previous flagged slide. So, to an extent, you can use it like Powerpoint ... just a very limited imitation of it. ProShow is optimized for slideshows, Powerpoint for Presentations. Both have the strengths and weaknesses.

If you're going to use ProShow for anything but a simple presentation, opt for Powerpoint instead. Use ProShow for those effects and such that Powerpoint can't do. Export the Slide(s) as a video that PPT can read.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks Dale, that is what I figured. I found an old version of Powerpoint on my computer. I don't do alot of this type of presentation, so I will use it. Thanks

Postby bobradarbob » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:06 pm

smunited,

I know you found an answer. BUT, for the grater good, I wanted to add this note: "Google Slides" app has an online and offline solution if your needs are not overly complicated. They even allow basic editing of individual images/slides: http://googledrive.blogspot.com/2013/01/create-edit-and-present-with-google.html

FWIW,

bob

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks Bob, I did look for free presenter programs when I first started, and it would have been more than adequate. I am not doing anything fancy. Sandra

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:38 pm

I frequently use PSP to produce slide shows with a manual advance so I can give a presentation and speak to each slide. It is easy enough to do by going to edit / preferences and setting remote controls as

Previous slide - PgUp
Next Slide - not set
Return to Menu - Home
Pause / Play - PgDown (seem to recall this is the one to change)
Stop - Esc
Full screen - alt + enter

As others have said, you can only go to the next (previous) slide. It"might" be possible to include hyperlinks but I have never had the need to do this.

At the risk of "teaching you to suck eggs", don't forget to change the slide advance to manual as you build ht eshow!

HTh
Dave

Esteemed Member

Postby smunited » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks so much Dave... I knew there must be a way! I will give it a try for my next presentation. Thanks for reminded me to reset my preferences before my next show, lol! Sandra

Valued Member

Postby Dewcal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:29 am

Hi Sandra,

Forgot to say that with these controls set I can use a standard USB plug in "presenter". This allows me to be remote from the laptop and "wander" around when talking!

So far as I am aware, Powerpoint is not a colour controlled application (or wasn't when I last tried it some years ago) and when showing photographs (which is what my presentations are) the colours with PP were not accurate. At least with PSP I get the colours I am expecting!

Happy presenting.
Dave

Return to PSP - General Discussion